Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did I understand it right? (Question about Muslim women converting before their husbands)

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM
  • 19 Replies
  • 731 Total Views

I want to know if the religion of Islam forbids a married woman who converts to Islam from another religion, to stay married with her husband, if he doesn't convert after a certain time. If that's the case, i'll just keep learning about Islam, but hold off on converting until and unless my husband wants to convert with me. My husband is the love of my life, and there's no way i'm leaving him. If i'm misunderstanding, and that stuff about which Anonymous4mm posted only applies to other situations, please let me know and explain it to me if you wouldn't mind.

Also, on another note, she mentioned that there was a dog in the shelter, and was it ok to pray. We have our fluffy Himalayan cat (my avatar) living in our apartment with us, and he's strictly an indoor cat. Would that be a reason we couldn't pray?

I appreciate your helpful advice. Salaam

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I can answer you quickly about the cat.. cats are clean unimals.. their bing in the house does not affect your prayer.

as for your question about converting or not because of your husband.. I'll have to come back to you on that one.. but to my knowledge, a Muslim woman cannot be married to a non Muslim. I will have to ask about the specific situation of being married and then converting.. please bear  with me.

incogNinja
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM
3 moms liked this
You understood correctly, yes. Dogs are permissible in islam only as an outside animal like for security etc , and they cannot be inside the house because purity is a condition of the prayer, and a dog (specifically his saliva) is impure. Cats, birds, whatever fluffy creature..are clean animals and it is permissible keep them as pets inside or out.
I would urge you to keep asking your Lord for guidance, but for yourself and for your husband. I think you have seen the truth at this point , and understandably have a couple of hesitations regarding this huge life transformation.. And inshaAllah your husband will also see things clearly soon. I would not advise saying "this is what happens if i choose islam and you do not..." there is no compulsion in religion, period. Keep thinking and keep praying for help without cease. It would be a tragedy if you bypassed what you see as truth and the right because of something (albeit huge) wordly. The believer cannot call himself as such if he isnt willing to have his faith tested. This is major in islam. But the fruit of that labor is that the right choices are richly rewarded for us. I will stop rambling now and leave you with this, which i have found to help me in decisions regarding right and wrong: and as usual i am mobile, so i am paraphrasing... When we die, and are brought back to life , we will be asked "how long was your life on the earth?" and we will reply "a day, or perhaps a few days"... So basically this puts into perspective the immense difference between dunya (this life) and Akhira (the next life). Its why we as muslims have to live for our akhira, and make decisions wisely. If this life of glitter and temptation is only "a day or two" compared with the eternity of what comes next... What are we willing to sacrifice here for ultimate happiness there?
I leave you in Allah's care :) Salaam
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arabica
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
There is a Hadith in Bukari about Um Habiba RA one of the wives of Muhammad s.a.w where her husband became kaffir and she divorced him

HADRAT UMM-E-HABIBA (R.A)Hadrat Umm-e-Habiba was one of those chosen and respected ladies in the history of Islam who embraced Islam in face of opposition of their society and their family, and then sticked to their cause with perseverance whatsoever, could shake Hadrat Umm- e-Habiba from her conviction and faith. She was one of those few Muslims who migrated twice first to Abyssinia and then to Madina. She was the daughter of Abu-Sufyan, the arch enemy of Islam and the Holy Prophet (SAW) and the sister of Hadrat Muavia (Hadrat Muavia, became the first monarch in Islamic history. Hadrat Muavia was the greatest rival of Hadrat Ali, the fourth Caliph, and fought two battles with him for acquiring rulership). Abu Sufyan (Abu- Sufyan embraced Islam on the fall of Makkah to Muslims) was the chief of Umayyads a sub-tribe of Quraish and a permanent threat to the ideology of Islam and the existence of Muslims. The propagation of Islam in Makkah by the Holy Prophet (SAW) had two phases. In the first phase, the message was being passed stealthily without its formal declaration. The second phase started on the directive of Allah to the Holy Prophet Hadrat Mohammad (SAW) for making the message of Islam public. Then the Holy Prophet (SAW) announced his Prophethood in public, while addressing the city dwellers of Makkah from the peak of a hillock named Safa. After this public call and announcement of Islamic faith the Quraishites tortured and teased the converts to the new religion of Islam, to make them return to idolatry. Hadrat Umm-e-Habiba and her husband Abu-Ubaida embraced Islam in the second phase and faced all sorts of harassment and persecution at the hands of the heathens of Makkah. Finally the Muslims were allowed to leave their homeland by the Holy Prophet (SAW) and more than seventy (According to some reports seventy-two or seventy-four) men and women left for Abyssinia. At Abyssinia, Hadrat Ramla (The real name of Hadrat Umm- e-Habiba) gave birth to a daughter named Habiba and Ramla was then called Umm-e- Habiba. The migration to Abyssinia did not end her troubles and she suffered another shock. Her husband Abu-Ubaida indulged in excessive drinking apostatized and converted to Christianity. Perhaps it is true that coming events cast their shadows before. While in Abyssinia, Hadrat Umm-e-Habiba saw a dream, in which she saw her husband in a very ugly and frightening form. During the dream, she was terrified and concluded that something must have gone wrong with her husband. In the morning, Abu-Ubaida took Hadrat Umm-e-Habiba into confidence and said: You can download the full story from
http://www.prophetmuhammadforall.org/webfiles/library.php?topicref=007&langref=

Source: www.prophetmuhammadforall.org
/www.enjoyislam.com/lectures/Imam%20Suhaib%20Webb/index.htm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bozobean
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Thank you all so much for time, patience and consideration in answering my post. 

Arabica
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
You are very welcome bozobean:) I learn a lot with your questions ;)

Quoting bozobean:

Thank you all so much for time, patience and consideration in answering my post. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
H_Tunisia_Remix
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I will be back with proof in a bit but there are a myriad of responses to this issue. A common one being they must divorce, some give certain periods of time some do not.

H_Tunisia_Remix
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Opinion that there is a "grace period":

http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?HD=12&ID=176&CATE=11

Another opinion:

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/1826

So the above are two scholarly opinions from reliable sourrces, in the end Allah knows best.

Now, what I am about to share is NOT a scholarly opinion but something I have seen among my community, there are several women in my convert halaqa married to non-Muslim men. One of whom for years did not tell her family she converted. Eventually she did tell them. Several years later, her husband was dying and asked for Quran to be read to him. I went to his funeral, and the most knowledgeable of the community (and I come from a large community) decided it appropriate to do the janazah prayer since the man, by choice, died listening to the Quran.

muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM
subhanAllah.

Quoting H_Tunisia_Remix:

Opinion that there is a "grace period":

http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?HD=12&ID=176&CATE=11

Another opinion:

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/1826

So the above are two scholarly opinions from reliable sourrces, in the end Allah knows best.

Now, what I am about to share is NOT a scholarly opinion but something I have seen among my community, there are several women in my convert halaqa married to non-Muslim men. One of whom for years did not tell her family she converted. Eventually she did tell them. Several years later, her husband was dying and asked for Quran to be read to him. I went to his funeral, and the most knowledgeable of the community (and I come from a large community) decided it appropriate to do the janazah prayer since the man, by choice, died listening to the Quran.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arabica
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I am curious, if the husband and the wife embraces islam is their marriage valid if they married in church pre islam etc or should they make nikah again?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
H_Tunisia_Remix
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Arabica:

I am curious, if the husband and the wife embraces islam is their marriage valid if they married in church pre islam etc or should they make nikah again?

According to the first link I gave to a scholars opinion, assuming I read it right, the marriage contract is still valid if both convert to Islam.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)