Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

any gaming mums?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 244 Total Views

Just wondering if any sisters here are into video games, especially ps3 or xbox games. I love the new(ish) Minecraft game,, so much so that when i cant play on my sister's xbox i play a version on my pc! Obviously for ramadhan I've taken a break.

i also love the 90's classic playstation games... maybe its trying to hold onto nostalgic memories of my childhood.

any other mums still have the child in them that wants to play?

by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Like you said sister. Ramadan means we take a break of all such time wasting things..  and even outside of Ramadan we should also be mindful of ou time..

I am more old school.. I was around when the attari was big.. lol.. so I am more into such games.. my playstation aspiratons I guess stop at mortal combat, and virtual fighter ( I grew up with all boys..) but I like more puzzle-like, arcade like games, like bejeweled, sodoku..etc.

my kids play all kinds of games in the limited time they have alloted for them.. they are more into sports games, like soccer and basketball. they also like sonic, harry potter..etc.

my oldest was recently allowed to play assassins creed, I think I will take a closer 'look" at it when Ramdan is over. lol. that Izio character looks like a fun character..

" Muslim Mom's group owner hat back on".. What games??? I am an adult.. no kid in me, what so ever. I strive at being as boring as a door knob.. loll. just kidding..

dont' be disheartned if you dont' get many replies to this one.. it is after all, Ramadan.. maybe we can visist this issue in a month or so..

:)

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

ummh11
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

alaikum salaam wa rahmatullaah

didnt want to read and run but need to get to bed and wanted to reply to your post as you brought up some important points,

Regarding ramadhan yes i made sure to highlight its a sacred month Allaah has decreed for us to exceed in extra worship and good deeds. And this in itself is a lesson about our natures, that we go through periods of high and low attention towards ibaadah, and that's why Allaah Has ordained these times to increase our focus back on good actions. We need these time to make up for our shortfalls at other times.

but i wanted to touch more on what you said about being mindful of our time outside of ramadhan and i was reminded of a hadeeth i recently covered in one of my classes of Hamdala Al-Usaybi رضي الله عنه which is quite lengthy to quote now but inshaAllaah i think i'll post it here later for sisters to benefit from. But in that he mentioned to the Prophet صلي الله عليه وسلم about feeling like a hyprocrite as when he, like other companions, was around the Prophet he would be reminded of Hell and Paradise as if he could see them in front of his eyes, but when he was away from him he would become busy with wordly matters. So the Prophet صلي الله عليه وسلم told him that there should be time for worldly affairs and time for worship and he repeated this 3 times.

so its important to note that as long as you fulfill all your religious obligations i.e. those to Allaah, then yourself and your family and so on, and you don't indulge in it, or spend any of your time in activities that contradict a part of the sharia then we are allowed to spend time on worldy things. And you can see this principle when u look at the sunnah, like for example when Aaisha رضي الله عنها was watching the Ethiopians playing in the masjid from behind the Prophet (Bukhari) or when she was young and used to play with her toys while with the Prophet and he allowed her to.

so with me the issue with video games is that i avoid the games that have questions like image making issues, or magic and other haraam things being promoted. thats why i like crafting games as there's no images its 1st person perspective and its all about building and digging. my personal rule of thumb with anything i do outside of my home obligations and ibaadah/study time is that i dont spend more than one hour of my day on all combined extra curriculat activities, and with video games its easy to stick to that as u just shut off the button when u see ur time is up without feeling like ur leaving things unfinished (like when i do sewing etc). theres no urge to finish what u have in front of u. and i find i waste more time when doing things like emailing etc. im not promoting video games or anything, just wanted to know if im the only muslim mummy here that does that.

oh and you KNOW (LOL) when your wasting time on something when it could be spent elsewhere beneficially, and when u really are just taking a breather!!

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 12:47 AM

assalamu alaikum dear sister. and thank you so much for the reminder..

I hope you did not think I was accusing you of being wasteful of your time.. if you got that impression I deeply apologize.. my intention was to remind ANY sister reading your post. that it is ok to have fun ( I DO) but also to remember to set limits to fun time and be mindful of worship time..

we all need our breathers alhamdulilaah. may Allah always guide us to do them in halal.

thank you again my dear sister.. because with such a cute adorable question about gaming, we ended up reading about the sahabah and reminding eachother of the benefit of balance in our lives.

again, if I offended you in anyway, my apologies.. it was not my intention.. I leave you in the trusted care of Allah. :)

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

ummh11
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:23 AM
No i wasn't offended but thought i should clarify myself anyhow.

And like you said reminders benefit the Muslims. I guess the main thing is to be honest with ourselves and know that there's always room to improve ourselves. And islam was revealed in stages to make it easy on the people to learn and practise : )

And i agree with u that too many people think anything 'fun' equals haram and that's why kids don't generally like to talk to their parents about their hobbies or interests. I actually think if you come across as down to earth (whilst still being a role model and mentor) your kids are more likely to respond better to you as a parent if you share in their interests and be a positive guide in that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)