Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the meaning of nikah?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:28 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 632 Total Views

I am so confused! I used the word nikah on facebook when talking about my upcoming marriage and a Syrian girl thought I was talking about sex and said that nikah means sexual intercourse in the Quran! I am so confused and embarrassed if I used the word wrong!

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Meand5
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:32 AM
As far as I always knew it meant marriage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ABeautifulQadar
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Me too!

umhassouna
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:45 AM
It does mean marriage, HOWEVER: in Lebanon, the word nikah or neek pronounced in a certain way is the equivalent of the f-word, or "to have sex". I'm sure they use it in Syria and elsewhere in the region as well. So it is very offensive if used in that manner. The shabab (young guys) use the word to insult each other playfully, it's common.

But you are using the word for marriage properly, habibti. Don't be embarrassed. It looks similar when typed, unfortunately. You can always say "zowej" when referring to a wedding to avoid any confusion.
umhassouna
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:57 AM
And the term "nikah" generally refers to Marriage in the Quran. However, it is important to note that sex IS implied when we talk about marriage - only under marriage are a man and woman permitted to engage in sexual intercourse, and it is completely halal. So, some people will use the Quranic term nikah to refer to marital relations, which is acceptable, and that might be the source of confusion with the Syrian lady. So the term could theoretically imply the occurrence of sexual intercourse, but not always necessarily or directly.
Meand5
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this
As salaamu alaikum where are you from? Just wondering how you knew this in detail. I kinda figured out was just a cultural difference but never would I have know what you just said lol

Quoting umhassouna:

It does mean marriage, HOWEVER: in Lebanon, the word nikah or neek pronounced in a certain way is the equivalent of the f-word, or "to have sex". I'm sure they use it in Syria and elsewhere in the region as well. So it is very offensive if used in that manner. The shabab (young guys) use the word to insult each other playfully, it's common.

But you are using the word for marriage properly, habibti. Don't be embarrassed. It looks similar when typed, unfortunately. You can always say "zowej" when referring to a wedding to avoid any confusion.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
umhassouna
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:01 AM
I'm Lebanese :)
ABeautifulQadar
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:27 AM
Thank you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytobe921
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Word confusion....ive heard my husband use a similar word in a bad manner
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN