Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you get your kid to speak??

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 501 Total Views
My son is 14 months and he hasn't really said his first word yet. When he cries he does say mama but i'm not sure that counts.

I think it might be because i don't really talk to him, i don't know what to say and it feels strange. I do point out things like "what's this" and "look Allaah made leaf, flower etc". I also sing to him the arkam and huruf bcz he likes it when i sing to him. He is more engaged with what I'm saying.

I was just wondering how you sisters taught your first child to talk? And more importantly how did you teach them about Allah and His creation? Does anyone know any rhymes in arabic for kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firaerty
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Talking to your kid all the time even if it sounds funny like you're talking to yourself at the store! But I'm a pediatric resident and at 14 months he should have at least 4-6 words (should be able to say hi, wave and say bye for example in addition to mama and dada). When you go for your 15months check up bring up your concerns with the pediatrician. Speech delays are very common espcially if you are in a bilingual home and usually resolve but if your pedi believes the delay is substancial your child may qualify for early intervention programs which are amaizing in getting the little ones to progress with their speech.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaiasMommy619
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Read read read and read!!! That helps a lot if you don't know what to talk about or say to them. If your concerned about Islam etx then read him islamic books www.goodword.com has Islamic books.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 4:58 PM
First off, it doesn't sound as if your child has a speech delay. There is a wide spectrum of typical development& inshaAllah your baby falls within it. The very first thing though if a delay is suspected is to get your baby's hearing checked. Some pediatricians will just call it a speech delay and refer you to early intervention without referring over to an audiologist who can assess for hearing loss. Just because a baby passed the newborn hearing screen which is mandated in almost all of the US doesn't mean it's not warranted when a speech/language delay presents. If your baby responds to sounds, turns towards the source and is intrigued by sounds as babies should be- then all those are good signs. But sometimes this can shadow signs of even a mild hearing loss. InshaAllah there is no hearing loss or delay at all- BUT to have that comfort knowing nothing is developmentally off, not only check with your pediatrician, but an audiologist and then a speech pathologist inshaAllah.

in regards to talking about Allah, let your baby walk in your shoes. but point things out to her in simple word and reward her when she makes any sort of sound. inshaaallah she will be fine :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadsmummy
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Ds is 14 months and he says mama baba dada only but jabber talks constantly never stops almost playing with different sounds. He its a talker I just have no clue what he its saying lol. But then I am a talker. I talk constantly. I carry on woke conversations with him but just answer myself. If he wasn't with me and someone heard me do it in public they would be concerned lol. Just talk to your baby. About everything anything. I talked to him about the pros and cons of specific diapers while we were in Walmart today for like 10 minutes. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ummh11
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. He does a lot of baby babble but I can't really pick out any recognisable words apart from mama.

Sadly in the UK i have to wait for his 24month check up to see if there's anything wrong.

Quoting firaerty:

Talking to your kid all the time even if it sounds funny like you're talking to yourself at the store! But I'm a pediatric resident and at 14 months he should have at least 4-6 words (should be able to say hi, wave and say bye for example in addition to mama and dada). When you go for your 15months check up bring up your concerns with the pediatrician. Speech delays are very common espcially if you are in a bilingual home and usually resolve but if your pedi believes the delay is substancial your child may qualify for early intervention programs which are amaizing in getting the little ones to progress with their speech.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ummh11
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Oh thank you for the link I have been looking for Islamic books as he loves reading. He always enjoys when we have quality time together with a book before his bed time. I need to try doing it more in the mornings too i think.

Quoting MaiasMommy619:

Read read read and read!!! That helps a lot if you don't know what to talk about or say to them. If your concerned about Islam etx then read him islamic books www.goodword.com has Islamic books.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ummh11
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 5:54 PM
LOL that's funny.
But i already get a lot of funny looks bcz of my hijab when I'm out, don't really want any more attention by seeming like I'm talking to myself!

Quoting jadsmummy:

Ds is 14 months and he says mama baba dada only but jabber talks constantly never stops almost playing with different sounds. He its a talker I just have no clue what he its saying lol. But then I am a talker. I talk constantly. I carry on woke conversations with him but just answer myself. If he wasn't with me and someone heard me do it in public they would be concerned lol. Just talk to your baby. About everything anything. I talked to him about the pros and cons of specific diapers while we were in Walmart today for like 10 minutes. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadsmummy
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I do too. So I figure why not I have nothing else to loose. I talk to DS non stop. DH teased me the other day because I said I felt bad that I hadn't talked to DS2 (who is in the womb) enough that day because I was so busy. He just looked at me and was like, that is why DS won't stop talking because YOU don't stop talking  my sons are going to be just like you non stop talkers LOL! Its good for them. I have a pretty wide vocabulary and children are sponges so I know my sons will just soak it all up. When I am reading about Islam, or reciting from the Quran I do it aloud so DS can hear me. He doesn't understand yet what I am talking about but over time he will. I don't baby talk though. I really wouldn't worry about your baby. Every baby does things in their own time. As long as there isn't some glaring red flag I wouldn't worry.  Just like people, some babies are talkers others are more reserved.  

Quoting ummh11:

LOL that's funny.
But i already get a lot of funny looks bcz of my hijab when I'm out, don't really want any more attention by seeming like I'm talking to myself!

Quoting jadsmummy:

foxysugarlove
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM

At 14 months my youngest DD was really just babbling too. Now she's 2 and she's talking alot all the time! So I don't necessarily think your DS is delayed. With my kids I did the constant talking. It does feel silly sometimes lol but it really helps. I did a running commentary of everything like, 'Here we go, I'm washing the apple. Wash, wash with the water. Look at the water! Now turn the water off. I'm drying the apple, dry dry dry... now let's get a knife!" etc etc. Do it daily, they're already super curious to watch and listen to mommy :) We said the ABCs and words that start with letter. Like A is for apple, B is ball. I agree about reading too. My DD loves Duck&Goose board books :) After I read out loud, I let DD flip through and she pointed at things on the pages and I talked more about them. As far as Allah (swt) I talk to both DD's about God, but my 6 yr old is only beginning to grasp more, my 2 yr old doesn't have an understanding yet. I think it just comes with age if you keep talking about Him.

ummh11
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Jazakillaahu khairan for the advice and reassurance =).

As for the hearing inshaAllaah i think it is all fine as he's very good with sounds and even notices those that are outside of his field of sight e.g. A vacuum in another room.

He's ahead of his age with every other aspect of his development mashaAllaah, so I'm just wondering if it's bcz of me not doing enough to interact..?

Quoting muhajjirah:

First off, it doesn't sound as if your child has a speech delay. There is a wide spectrum of typical development& inshaAllah your baby falls within it. The very first thing though if a delay is suspected is to get your baby's hearing checked. Some pediatricians will just call it a speech delay and refer you to early intervention without referring over to an audiologist who can assess for hearing loss. Just because a baby passed the newborn hearing screen which is mandated in almost all of the US doesn't mean it's not warranted when a speech/language delay presents. If your baby responds to sounds, turns towards the source and is intrigued by sounds as babies should be- then all those are good signs. But sometimes this can shadow signs of even a mild hearing loss. InshaAllah there is no hearing loss or delay at all- BUT to have that comfort knowing nothing is developmentally off, not only check with your pediatrician, but an audiologist and then a speech pathologist inshaAllah.

in regards to talking about Allah, let your baby walk in your shoes. but point things out to her in simple word and reward her when she makes any sort of sound. inshaaallah she will be fine :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)