Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I was talking to my friend, In Saudi the women keeps her dads name. Is this from all muslims, or does it depend on the country. I still have my ex husbands name and have yet to change it back to my dads. 

by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Replies (11-17):
Hani_Mommy
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I asked this question before, and didn't really get a response.  What if you want to change your last name because it can be harmful?  I want to desperately to "get rid of" my last name, it's very shameful, and causes me lots of pain, grief, and humility.  In addition it causes this to my small little family.  It brings a lot of damage.  Is it permissible to change your name under these circumstances?  If I do change my name, is it best to take that of a husband, or is it better or permissible to take my mothers last name?

ummh11
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM
The prophet salAllaahu alayhi wa sallam only ever changed the first names of people who had bad or ugly names.

First names are changeable if they have bad or negative meanings. What i referred to earlier is the "surname" or"family" name. This is what usually distinguishes you from every other person that shares your name. And people will know what family you belong to.

I remember reading a while back that the correct opinion is not to change the last names due to the generality of prohibition of changing the surname. I'll have to look for this inshaAllah.

Tracebility of lineage is regarded as essential islamically, so children and grandchildren know their fathers, and it is well known who is prohibited for a person to marry due to lineage being distinct and known. These are just some of the reasons for this and Allah knows best why.
lulubird83
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM

ewwwwwwwwwww

Quoting ummh11:

We are prohibited from changing our family names, whether male of female.

Allah said regarding this "And call them by their father's names. That is more just in the sight of Allaah..." (33.5). This is confirmed in the sunnah as the companions used to call zayd bin harithah, zaid bin muhammad, until Allah revealed this verse and they were ordered to call him by his father's name.

The issue is actually quite serious as there is a hadeeth narrated by Ibn Abbas radiAllah 'an where the prophet salAllaahu alayhi wa sallma said "whomever is not named after their father... Upon them is the curse of Allah, His angels, and the people." (Ahmad, Ibn Majah). So Allah curses those who take other than their father's name.

To take you husband's family name is to claim that you are from his family. The Arabs find this 'ajeeb too. Becuase if your husband is say Ahmad Hanbal, and you take his name as Muslimah Hanbal that would make you your husband's sister!!! Yuk!

Laurin283
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I took my husband's last name because when I was married to my ex (before I became Muslim) I had taken his name.  And I didn't want to be known as part of his family since we are divorced.  I could have gone back to my father's name, but I was angry with him for so long that I was happy to "get rid" of him name (alhumdulilah, that has now changed), and it was easier for immigration (where we already had SO many problems).

Umyusef
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Ok so I am a revert who was also adopted. My adoptive parents gave me their last name. I have no idea about my family lineage and likely never will. What does this mean for me islamically?

Quoting ummh11:

The prophet salAllaahu alayhi wa sallam only ever changed the first names of people who had bad or ugly names.

First names are changeable if they have bad or negative meanings. What i referred to earlier is the "surname" or"family" name. This is what usually distinguishes you from every other person that shares your name. And people will know what family you belong to.

I remember reading a while back that the correct opinion is not to change the last names due to the generality of prohibition of changing the surname. I'll have to look for this inshaAllah.

Tracebility of lineage is regarded as essential islamically, so children and grandchildren know their fathers, and it is well known who is prohibited for a person to marry due to lineage being distinct and known. These are just some of the reasons for this and Allah knows best why.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ummh11
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Your situation has seperate issues as it regards adoption and not being able to locate your birth parents.

I'll have to wait to get onto my pc to do some research for you and find out inshaAllah as I don't want to give you an incomplete answer. PM me to remind me if i take too long.
Quoting Umyusef:

Umm Hasan (Hasan's Mum)
---------------------------------------------------
أَلَمْ يَأْنِ لِلَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَنْ تَخْشَعَ قُلُوبُهُمْ لِذِكْرِ اللَّهِ
Has not the time come for the hearts of those who believe to be affected by Allah's Reminder?
[Al-Hadeed : 16]
قال الفضيل بن عياض : اتبع طرق الهدى ولا يضرك قلة السالكين وإياك وطرق الضلالة ولا تغتر بكثرة الهالكين
---------------------------------------------------
Alyasa
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Assalaamu Alaikum Sisters.  What if you converted to Islam and you are the only Muslim in your family?  Your father was a non-Muslim with a non-Muslim first and last name.  I changed my whole name.  Is this wrong?  Please advise.  Jazakallah Sisters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN