Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Music?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:10 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 440 Total Views

What kinda of music do you ladies listen too? I listen to a lot of classical. Bach and Mozart. Any suggests of bands or singers?

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Music in general is donwplayed in Islam because of its excess and mostly because of its unIslamic themes. Many scholars use authentic hadith and a verse from the Quran to come to a conclusion that music in general is prohibited but that there are exceptions. There is a minority of scholars who explain it is permissible if it involves remembrance of Allah or Islamic morality in an encouraging way versus against the teachings of Islam. Today there are many Muslim singers who do that and generally there is no problem with that. However the use of instruments is considered as excess by most per the Sunnah and so anything more than the duff is disliked and not encouraged by many respected scholars. So those Muslims who choose to listen to the Islamic songs choose voice only. There are artists like Sami Yusef and Maher Zain who have both versions of their songs. Prophet Muhammad salAllahu alayhee wasallam taught us if we arent sure of a matter then we should avoid coming to what may be forbidden. This issue is big for many Muslims all over the world who fear Allah and so many just go for the lyric only versions of songs if they have a choice. Godwilling Ill try to post evidences..maybe some of the other sisters here will too :) Hope that helps.

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:21 AM
2 moms liked this
Thank you muhajjirah. Took the words right out of my mouth.
My kids learned a lot about basics of Islam from Yusuf islam's " I look I see" And my oldest son likes to exercise listening to native deen. We LOVE native deen :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Umi6
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this
We avoid it altogether. If you find a Quran reciter you really like it can be beautiful to your ears. I laugh at myself some mornings because I'll crank my favorite and recite along really loud and I think i must look like I'm "rocking out " to some good music. But, based on my research, I am personally of the view if you are going to listen it should be voice only with the exception of the duff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ABeautifulQadar
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM
I listen to alot of Arabic music and Top 40 stuff. For Arabic I like Tamer Hosny, Amr Diab and Haifa Wehbe. I don't know what they are saying so I go on YouTube for translation. I love the sounds of the language. I like Mariah Carey, Adele and Rihanna for the mainstream stuff.
Listening to the Quran is so relaxing and sounds so beautiful even though I don't understand it. I have the Quran on my phone and downloaded the audio so I listen to it. I Need to buy some studio size headphones so I can start putting it to my belly for the baby to listen too once the baby able to hear sound out here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Dabke & Mawal
Waild sarkis is my fav singer
Sarya sawas is nice
Assi el helani is great

However, music is like an intoxicant to me therefore it should've avoided.
AnyahRaheel
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 7:58 AM
there is a haddith that prophet muhammed (pbuh) said to his compainions that harram is clear and halal is clear but sometimes there is a grey erea and if there is a grey erea then i should be avoided.. I enjoy used to enjoy music i still do sometimes and i know its harram but when i am shopping and i hear it i find myself singing along in my head.. But i enjoy zain bhika i belived its spelled he sings about allah and prophet muhammed and islam in genral.. There are a few others but im unsure of names.. Also i have been told that there are certain times of the day that all music is to be avoided during that time.. May allah guide us and give us the knowledge we need.. Ameen..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Quoting AnyahRaheel:

there is a haddith that prophet muhammed (pbuh) said to his compainions that harram is clear and halal is clear but sometimes there is a grey erea and if there is a grey erea then i should be avoided.. I enjoy used to enjoy music i still do sometimes and i know its harram but when i am shopping and i hear it i find myself singing along in my head.. But i enjoy zain bhika i belived its spelled he sings about allah and prophet muhammed and islam in genral.. There are a few others but im unsure of names.. Also i have been told that there are certain times of the day that all music is to be avoided during that time.. May allah guide us and give us the knowledge we need.. Ameen..

Asalaamalaikum sister, its commendable to avoid with the intention of obeying Rasullilah salAllahu alayhee wasallam :) 

As far as avoiding music during certain times of the day..I havent read or heard anything credible to that regard. 

There are those who try to avoid music completely and others who justify it so long as its Islamic in nature. Both are referenced by different scholarly opinions. But the vast majority advise against it.

Allah Knows Best.

AnyahRaheel
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM
walaikum salam.. I have never heard of this either untill a few days ago im unsure of what website (ill try to find the link) and it says that it is forbidden to listen to music from these certain hours im unsure of when though i was going to read up on it again.. but if it is untrue i thankyou for correcting me.. Indeed sister allah does know best.. :D

Quoting muhajjirah:

Quoting AnyahRaheel:

Asalaamalaikum sister, its commendable to avoid with the intention of obeying Rasullilah salAllahu alayhee wasallam :) 

As far as avoiding music during certain times of the day..I havent read or heard anything credible to that regard. 

There are those who try to avoid music completely and others who justify it so long as its Islamic in nature. Both are referenced by different scholarly opinions. But the vast majority advise against it.

Allah Knows Best.

AnyahRaheel
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:55 PM
i didnt manage to find the link for what i was talking about previous but here is a link somewere else that gives alot of info on music.. I hope it gives you all the info you need.. Islamqa.info/en/ref/5000
muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)