Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Major sins in Islam

Posted by (Group Owner) on Dec. 10, 2007 at 11:22 PM
  • 43 Replies
  • 1277 Total Views
assalamu alaikum sisters,
in some faiths . some argue that sin is sin. no matter how little or how grand. in Islam we believe that there are major sins. and that not all sin are the same in punishment,  

here is a fatwa about sins in Islam I thought I share with you. and please if anyone has a question about any of the sins. feel free to ask. or if you have a comment or explanation you would like to share. feel free to do so as well insha' Allah.,

I leave you in the trusted care of Allah

><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><

A Muslim should steer clear of all sins, major and minor ones. A faithful Muslim takes care of every utterance or deed, avoiding anything that makes him subject to the punishment of Allah and His Wrath.

The major sins are those acts which have been forbidden by Allah in the Qur’an and by His Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) in the Sunnah , and which have been made clear by the actions of the first righteous generation of Muslims, the Companions of the Prophet. Allah Almighty says: "If you avoid the major (part) of what you have been forbidden (to do), We will cancel out for you your (other) evil deeds and will admit you (to Paradise) with a noble entry." (An-Nisaa’:31)

In this verse, Allah Almighty has guaranteed the Garden of Paradise to those who avoid the major sins. And Allah Almighty also says: "Those who avoid the greatest of sins and indecencies, and forgive when they are angry" (Ash-Shura: 37) and "Those who avoid the greatest sins and indecencies, except for oversights, (will find that) surely your Lord is ample in forgiveness." (An-Najm: 32)

The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "The five (daily) Prayers, Friday to Friday and Ramadan to Ramadan, make atonement for what has happened since the previous one, as long as major sins have been avoided." It is therefore very important to determine exactly what the greatest vices, technically called "the major sins" (kaba’ir), are in order that Muslims should avoid them.

There is some difference of opinion among scholars in this regard. Some say these major sins are seven, and in support of their position they quote the hadith: "Avoid the seven noxious things: associating anything with Allah, magic, killing one whom Allah has declared inviolate without a just cause, consuming the property of an orphan, devouring riba (interest), turning back when the army advances, and slandering chaste women who are believers but indiscreet." (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

`Abdullah ibn `Abbas said: "Seventy is closer to their number than seven," and indeed that is correct. The above hadith does not limit the major sins to those mentioned in it. Rather, it points to the type of sins which fall into the category of major. These include those crimes which call for a prescribed punishment (hadd), such as theft, fornication or adultery, and murder; those prohibited acts for which a warning of a severe punishment in the Hereafter is given in the Qur'an or the Sunnah; and also those deeds which are cursed by our Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). These are all major sins.

Of course, there is a gradation among them, since some are more serious than others. We see that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) has included shirk (associating someone or something with Allah) among them, and from the text of the Qur'an we know that a person who commits shirk will not be forgiven and will remain in Hell forever. Allah Most High says: "Surely, Allah does not forgive associating anything with Him, and He forgives whatever is other than that to whomever He wills." (An-Nisaa': 48)

The Major Sins

1. Associating anything with Allah

2. Murder

3. Practicing magic

4. Abandoning salah (ritual Prayer)

5. Not paying zakah

6. Not fasting during the month of Ramadan without excuse

7. Not performing Hajj, while being able to do so

8. Showing disrespect to parents

9. Severing relations with relatives

10. Committing adultery

11. Committing sodomy

12. Dealing in riba (interest)

13. Wrongfully consuming the property of an orphan

14. Lying about Allah or His Messenger

15. Running away from the battlefield

16. Deceiving the people that one rules and being unjust to them

17. Being proud and arrogant

18. Bearing false witness

19. Drinking alcohol

20. Gambling

21. Falsely accusing chaste women (i.e. of committing fornication or adultery)

22. Stealing from the spoils of war

23. Stealing

24. Committing highway robbery

25. Making false oath

26. Committing oppression

27. Earning ill-gotten gain.

28. Consuming what is unlawful.

29. Committing suicide

30. Lying frequently

31. Judging unjustly

32. Giving and accepting a bribe

33. Imitating the opposite sex (in dress, behavior, and the like)

34. Allowing one’s wife, daughters, etc. to display their beauty to men or conduct illicit sexual relations

35. Marrying a divorced woman in order to make her lawful for her ex-husband to remarry her after he irrevocably divorced her

36. Not protecting oneself or one's clothes from being contaminated with urine or excrement.

37. Showing off

38. Learning knowledge of the religion for the sake of this world and withholding that knowledge (i.e., not teaching people)

39. Betraying a trust

40. Recounting favors

41. Denying Allah's Decree

42. Listening to people's private conversations

43. Carrying gossip

44. Swearing

45. Breaking contracts

46. Believing in fortune-tellers

47. Behaving badly towards one’s husband

48. Making statues

49. Lamenting, wailing, tearing the clothing, and doing other things of this sort when an affliction falls

50. Treating others wrongfully

51. Treating one’s wife, servant, the weak, and animals badly

52. Offending one's neighbor

53. Offending and abusing Muslims

54. Offending people and having an arrogant attitude toward them

55. Trailing one's garment in pride

56. Wearing silk and gold (this is for men only)

57. Running away from one’s master (this is for slaves)

58. Slaughtering an animal that has been dedicated to anyone other than Allah

59. To knowingly ascribe one's paternity to a man other than one's biological father

60. Arguing and disputing violently

61. Withholding excess water

62. Giving short weight or measure

63. Feeling secure from Allah's Plan

64. Offending pious people

65. Not praying in congregation but praying alone without an excuse

66. Persistently missing Friday Prayer without any excuse

67. Usurping the rights of the heir through bequests (to others)

68. Deceiving and plotting evil

69. Spying for the enemy of the Muslims against Muslim's interest

70. Cursing or insulting any of the Companions of the Prophet

Source: The Major Sins (Al-Kaba’ir) by Muhammad ibn `Uthman Adh-Dhahabi, rendered into English by Mohammad Moinuddin Siddiqui.

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.jannah.org

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

by on Dec. 10, 2007 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Dec. 10, 2007 at 11:34 PM
Jadamay
by on Dec. 10, 2007 at 11:50 PM
I really enjoy topics like this.  Thank u very much.  I hope to see more interesting topics.  Perhaps there are topics on what Jennah is like.
practicingislam
by on Dec. 11, 2007 at 12:25 AM
wa'alaykum asalam WHAT THOROUGH GREAT POSTS TONIGHT PROUD MASH'ALLAH I AM SO FLOORED MASH'ALLAH WHAT AWESOME POSTS JAZAK'ALLAH KHAIR........

Muslim Converts (Administrator)

Treat Him Like the King he Is (Administrator)

Muslim Moms (Group Member)

South Florida Sisters (Group Member)

Playskool Group (Group Member)

patientmama
by on Dec. 11, 2007 at 3:47 AM
Thank you Sister!  I will add this to my shortcuts. : - )

~ Don't Worry About What Others Think, They Don't Do It Very Often. ~

muslimah4life Group Admin
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 8:08 AM
salamo alikom and jazaakallah Kheir.
brandie05
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 11:39 AM
I like reading this stuff.  I always learn something new.  But I have a couple questions

34. Allowing one’s wife, daughters, etc. to display their beauty to men or conduct illicit sexual relations 

I thought a man cannot control or force a woman to cover, but teach her why she should and let it be her ultimate choice.  The sexual relations part makes sense, but displaying their beauty- to what extent? and what if they go against you?

What sort of excuse would make this ok?

I've been told that it is the obligation of men to go to the mosque.  What about women?  Are they excuse or was I misinformed? 

scatterbrainMom
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 11:44 AM
I'm confused...so what are the "minor" sins?
"There is a polish for everything that takes away rust; and the polish for the heart is the remembrance of Allah." (Bukhari)
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Quoting brandie05:

I like reading this stuff.  I always learn something new.  But I have a couple questions

I thought a man cannot control or force a woman to cover, but teach her why she should and let it be her ultimate choice.  The sexual relations part makes sense, but displaying their beauty- to what extent? and what if they go against you?

Greetings dear Brandie05, good to see you.

there is such a man that is called " Dayooth" . he does not mind if the women/ girls in his life, show their beauty in a seductive way. some even go to the extent of buying seductive revealing clothes for them to show them off.
a man is to educate his wife and daughters about Islam. and about the proper way to dress. of course he can't force them. but he can be firm in showing them his preference. or in educating them and thus. he will not be held accountable for their choices if they choose not to cover. and that is a far cry from a man who encourages his wife to dress provocatively or flaunts her beauty so he would look good.

Quote:

for example, being sick. being caught up in something you can't get away from. like business, surgery, ..etc. being asleep..
if there is a prayer in congregation. and one chooses not to pray just so they can finish that movie. or finish that game.. or whatever. then they are putting worldly things ahead of worship.

Quote:

I've been told that it is the obligation of men to go to the mosque.  What about women?  Are they excuse or was I misinformed? 

You are correct. Jummaa ( Friday) prayer is an obligation on Men not women. actually , a woman will have more reward praying at home. in her own room. she will still get reward and benefit for praying Jum'aah. but she does not have to.

Love and salaam (peace)

firaerty
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 12:12 PM

65. Proud mentioned some good ones... let me give you another example... I think possible excuses could be like... say for Asr prayer we have a considerable amount of time and say at home the husband must leave for work or an errand and the wife is busy breastfeeding the baby and still has to perform wudoo then he could go ahead and pray and leave and she will pray later, since she still has time before magrib prayer.  But if say it's a weekend and both husband and wife are at home relaxing then they should pray together, not separately. 
66. Yes for Men they should always pray in the mosque for Jummah on Friday.   Women can pray at home on Friday.  Again if a man cannot get to a mosque then he can pray at home, like if he is very ill or if his car stopped working and has no way to get there, for example.
Muslim Converts Speak - Group Admin. 
http://www.cafemom.com/group/muslimconverts
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Dec. 12, 2007 at 12:19 PM

Quoting scatterbrainMom:

I'm confused...so what are the "minor" sins?

LOL.  a valid question indeed.

some scholars argue that the major sins are only the seven mentioned in the hadith you will find in my previous post. other scholars deducted that those sins encompass the rest of the seventy as they are sins done against Allah, his messenger, and fellow humans.

I guess it is safe to say that the most dangerous sins are the ones that have Hadd ( punishment in Sharia law)  like Shirk; murder; adultery; slander; stealing..etc. but there are other dangerous sins that prophet Muhammad peace be upon him spoke against repeatedly, and so in the Quran as well, like back biting, Pride. leaving prayers. and lying. among others.  

let's take lying for example: a Muslim never ever lies. there are however times when lying is allowed. like for saving a life, or during war, or for repairing damage between husband and wife.
there are lies that are considered heinous and will guarantee you a seat in Hell. like lying about a Hadith, or verse in the Quran.
even lying about a dream.. is Haraam .

I guess there is a level of sinning within every sin. but the truth is , you can't compare telling your son to say you're not home just because you don't want to answer the phone. to committing adultery , or murder. even though they are both sins. but the situations make  some more horrendous than others.

there are sins that can not be forgiven. like ascribing equals to Allah. this is the most major sin there is in Islam.

so when we say "major" sins. it does not mean that all those sins will drive you into Hell. but rather , all those sins should be avoided.

there are also sins that have to do with other people's rights. and even if you do repent and ask Allah for forgiveness . you still need to return the rights of people to them. like if you stole, or have a debt.. you have to return what is not yours to their rightful owners.

am I making sense?  I surely hope so. 

I love you in the love of Allah and leave you in his care

Love and salaam (peace)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)