Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

picky eater

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 193 Total Views
Lately my daughter (5 years old) doesn't want to eat anything. She cries about eating everything.I'm at my limit and need suggestions please
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SlingsAndThings
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:12 PM

What kind of food is she willing to eat? Has she made any suggestions? Danica went through a phase where she would only eat Mac-n-Cheese. Eventually, she just got sick of eating it night after night and realized what we were eating smelled, and looked pretty good.

ummali
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:15 PM
She wants candy and chips and juice...

My husband has the ” your eating what mama makes or nothing” mind set and the ” your not getting up from the table till you eat it all” and she is stubborn so its like war at dinner time in my house.
SlingsAndThings
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Have you tried rewarding her with a treat like candy or chips if she eats a good dinner?That's about the only idea I can come up with.  I'm terrible at giving parenting advice!

jadsmummy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Salam alikom. I just had this discussion with my pedi. her advice the child won't starve you give in the battle continues. Sooooo prepare a healthy balanced varied meal and its either eat what's on the plate or go hungry. With anything consistency is key. Its a power struggle. Its a hardline view I am sorry if its no help for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ummali
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Thanks sisters, she has always been a good eater and she's my child that I never have any problems with so its kind of a shock that I'm going threw this with her. I'm praying that it is a phase and she will get over it fast. Today they had early dismissal from school and she came home and said she was hungry so I warmed up some leftovers (turkey, dill potatoes, and broccoli) I feed her brother and when he was done a gave him a stick of kit kat and she wanted the other stick I told her that if she eats everything she can have it and she did!!! I don't want to do that all the time bc I don't like giving the kids junk food and candy alot so I'm thinking of doing a star chart. If she gets stars all week long she can pick a prize on the weekend to have. I talked with hubby about it and he thinks its good so we will see if that works
barunka050811
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM

My son is very picky eater and very skinny too so it's always struggle but like Jads mummy said either u eat your food or nothing. That is the only think that works with him and granted sometimes he finishes his dinner or lunch like three hour later than we do but he doesn't get anything in between. Good luck . 

bozobean
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM
I went through a phase where all I would eat was peanut butter. Be careful though, peanut butter is one of the foods people have the most dangerous allergies to.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
epagelhogan
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 4:20 PM

So I've tried a lot of things to help my picky eater, who has been picky since he was a baby. Generally, the experts advise not to become a short order cook, not to use dessert or treats as a reward and not to force the child to finish their plates. Basically, serve the food you planned to serve, if they eat, they eat, if they don't, they don't. They'll eat better at the next meal. As a mom and not an expert, I always try to have at least one thing the picky one likes to eat. It's funny, it's not that he won't eat, it's just that he's really fussy about how food looks or what it touches and another big irritation was when I could get him to try something he would generally like it...then he would forget he had tried it and liked it!!! Long story long, I created "My Food Notebook" to help him and kids like him remember what they tried & liked. If you want to check it out you can see it at http://www.threebirdsbooks.com and click on "print books." I know this sounds really commercial but a lot of moms and kids have tried this book & love it! 

ummali
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Quoting epagelhogan:

So I've tried a lot of things to help my picky eater, who has been picky since he was a baby. Generally, the experts advise not to become a short order cook, not to use dessert or treats as a reward and not to force the child to finish their plates. Basically, serve the food you planned to serve, if they eat, they eat, if they don't, they don't. They'll eat better at the next meal. As a mom and not an expert, I always try to have at least one thing the picky one likes to eat. It's funny, it's not that he won't eat, it's just that he's really fussy about how food looks or what it touches and another big irritation was when I could get him to try something he would generally like it...then he would forget he had tried it and liked it!!! Long story long, I created "My Food Notebook" to help him and kids like him remember what they tried & liked. If you want to check it out you can see it at http://www.threebirdsbooks.com and click on "print books." I know this sounds really commercial but a lot of moms and kids have tried this book & love it! 

Thanks I will try that
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN