Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sharia Law

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 480 Total Views

I know that sharia law that is followed in countries such as Saudi Arabia is based more on culture than religion but are we suppossed to follow all sharia law? Like what about women being stoned? Amputating hands? Is that a sharia law that we are honestly suppossed to support? I get confused between following sharia law and following sunnah. It isnt the same is it?

pregnant

by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:31 PM
4 moms liked this

Assalamu alaikum..

Shariah in Arabic comes from the word Shara'a, ie, the spring, or source...etc. and in Islam, it means to follow the Islamic rulings as taken from the four sources of legislation: Quran, Sunnah, Ijmaa' ( consensus of the scholars) and Qiyaas ( comparing a ruling of a new matter to something similar that already has a ruling) .. and so , Shariah law ranges from simple things we do on a daily basis, like how to pray, how to fast, ..etc. following the morals and staying away from sin.. To matters of custody, marriage, divorce, inheritance...etc.. all the way to criminal punishment against crimes like murder, zina or stealing..etc.

stoning women as it is practiced in some places in the world is NOT what shariah law is about. though stoning is a punishment for the crime of adultery, and it is punishment for both men and women, with the condition that there were FOUR WITNESSES to the actual sexual act. or that one admits without being forced.. and while Islam instructs us NOT to reveal our sin.. such a punishment was rarely implemented in the time of prophet Muhammad peace be upon him..

cutting off the hand of a thief, is indeed a punishment in Islam.. but it is not for trivial thefts, and it has to be after the burden of proof has been established, just like carrying out ANY punishment in Islam. there should be a trial and witnesses, and the one carrying out the punishment is the ruler or judge, not random people out for blood or revenge without proof.

even though such punishments now seem too extreme.. especially in a world where they are fighting against capital punishment of murderers and murderous rapists.. but they worked in deterring crime, for punishment was public.. .. if a thief KNOWS his hand will be cut off. he will think twice before going out and stealing other people's belongings.. .. a rapist would think twice, and a murderer would think twice..

some of the rulings in countries like Afghanistan, Iran, or even Saudi, do have punishments that do not necessarily stem from Islamic Shariah law.. Iran and the Taliban for sure have a lot of crazy things that have NOTHING to do with Islam. but that should not be taken as a point against Shariah Law or Allah's set punishment of certain major sins.

the hype against Shariah law in America is a baseless stunt to make the average uneducated American fear and Hate Muslims even more, as well as singling out Muslims.. many of the motions have been denied because they were asking to single out a group of Americans because of their faith, which goes against the constitution of our country..

so when they broadened their bill to include foreign law ( which included cannon law, Jewish Law, foreign businesses) they found more resistance from other , more powerful groups of Americans to stand against it..

Sharia law, is practicing your faith the right way.. a real Christian, following the teachings of his faith, is indeed practicing Christian Shariah law.. does that make sense/??

hope this answers your question..

I leave you in the trusted care of Allah. 

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

ummali
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm for cutting the hand/s off of thiefs. If more countries did that we wouldn't have all this crime.
Mommy2BeAmy
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes it's part of being a Muslim. You can't say "well I like this but not that so I'm not doing that" Islam is all or nothing. You either agree or if not then accept the religion as a whole or else it is on Allah to judge what you put forward and behind

personally, you don't like it, it is probably that it doesn't make sense to you so I suggest you do research on the subjects you find fault with and nderstand why they're there. If you can't agree with it then at least accept it. 

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Very true sister. In Makkah when the people go for prayer they leave stores open because they know no one will steal because they fear the penalty so it's so trusting there. 

Quoting ummali:

I'm for cutting the hand/s off of thiefs. If more countries did that we wouldn't have all this crime.

ABeautifulQadar
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM
So do you support all shariah law or accept some parts of it?

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Yes it's part of being a Muslim. You can't say "well I like this but not that so I'm not doing that" Islam is all or nothing. You either agree or if not then accept the religion as a whole or else it is on Allah to judge what you put forward and behind

personally, you don't like it, it is probably that it doesn't make sense to you so I suggest you do research on the subjects you find fault with and nderstand why they're there. If you can't agree with it then at least accept it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
just want to intervene here for a moment, a lil FYI :) ...

in saudi, the ruling of a hand getting chopped off (sorry to be so blunt, mobile here) is not often heard of NOT because theft doesn't happen but there are stringent conditions, repeat offenses and the magnitude of the theft that has to be taken into consideration in the courts. plus if one is forgiven by the victim- then it's possible one could even go free.

second, during prayer times it is not true that all shops are left open. some might be, but in makkah& madinah not most of them. it's usually a quiet time and its not easy for someone to steal during these times because everyone is usually praying and environment is still.

we hear lots of stories that go without punishments around here- it's not as scary or freaky as one might think. in fact it's known that although there are rules and regulations and the penalties are hard- it's rare when they are actually applied.

madinah&makkah are generally safe areas alhamdulilah but they aren't part if Jannah and so yes-crime exists and penalties happen- but when they do Saudis are just as surprised as anyone else would be.

don't know if that makes sense. lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Everything 100% I ssupport.

my advice for you is start with little things like why it's a must to wear Islamic attire for women and start practicing that much. Then move onto the bigger things, that's what I did. Wen Allah sees his slaves are devoured to him by fulfilling his commandments, he opens their hearts, and I fully believe that which is why after I began praying, wearing hijab, dressing appropriately, following commandments, my thinking was able to be open minded and I was able to understand the shariat and support it. 

Start with namaaz, zakat, thikr, hijab, work your way up the food chain. For someone so new into Islam you're jumping ahead of yourself lol

Quoting ABeautifulQadar:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

ABeautifulQadar
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM

So if your daughter God forbid cheated on her husband and had intimate relations with another man and she admitted it, you believe that she should be stoned to death? At that point you wouldnt feel it was barbaric?

I'm not asking this question because I need direction in my faith. I am asking it because I got into an arguement with other CM members about Shariah law and how they dont really understand it.

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

my advice for you is start with little things like why it's a must to wear Islamic attire for women and start practicing that much. Then move onto the bigger things, that's what I did. Wen Allah sees his slaves are devoured to him by fulfilling his commandments, he opens their hearts, and I fully believe that which is why after I began praying, wearing hijab, dressing appropriately, following commandments, my thinking was able to be open minded and I was able to understand the shariat and support it. 

Start with namaaz, zakat, thikr, hijab, work your way up the food chain. For someone so new into Islam you're jumping ahead of yourself lol

Quoting ABeautifulQadar:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

pregnant

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM

It depends on the circumstance. The prophet pbuh was confronted by a woman who had cheated on her husband and got pregnant he told her come back for your punish,net when the child is born after the child was born he said nurse the child, after the child was nursed she went back and he told her to raise the child. He didnt just behead her. They're actually flogged 200 times not stoned but even in the prophets time it wasn't done sister and we are to follow tthat if my daughter had cheated her husband I want her punished like any other Muslim no matter how bad I will feel I would want to kill myself but I know it's better to pay fornyourbsin in this life by taking the punishment in this life rather then taking it in the end. 

Quoting ABeautifulQadar:

So if your daughter God forbid cheated on her husband and had intimate relations with another man and she admitted it, you believe that she should be stoned to death? At that point you wouldnt feel it was barbaric?

I'm not asking this question because I need direction in my faith. I am asking it because I got into an arguement with other CM members about Shariah law and how they dont really understand it.

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Quoting ABeautifulQadar:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

ABeautifulQadar
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM

So is it stoning or flogging? Ive heard different sources say different things. Flogging is lashings, right? So there is no stoning to death in Shariah law?

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

It depends on the circumstance. The prophet pbuh was confronted by a woman who had cheated on her husband and got pregnant he told her come back for your punish,net when the child is born after the child was born he said nurse the child, after the child was nursed she went back and he told her to raise the child. He didnt just behead her. They're actually flogged 200 times not stoned but even in the prophets time it wasn't done sister and we are to follow tthat if my daughter had cheated her husband I want her punished like any other Muslim no matter how bad I will feel I would want to kill myself but I know it's better to pay fornyourbsin in this life by taking the punishment in this life rather then taking it in the end. 

Quoting ABeautifulQadar:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Quoting ABeautifulQadar:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

pregnant

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)