Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Post in Another Group got Me Thinking

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 366 Total Views
Asalaamu alaikum sisters. Insha'Allah. You all are well.

There was a post about drinking sparkling grape juice in my due date group. It got me thinking about is it halal to drink things that are made to mimic alcohol without containing alcohol? Things like non-alcoholic daiquiris and margaritas and even the sparkling grape juice.

None contain alcohol but still mimic it. It just peaked my curiosity as I'd never really given it any thought.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
muslimahpj Group Admin
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Walaikum salaam

Good question, lol.  I have never thought about it myself. 

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM
I will start by saying I do not know much, but this is what I was told. I hope i worded this correctly. It's not haram. (Obviously) However, those who refrain recognize that it is in a direction that is haram. Therefore, one should proceed with caution and understanding it they partake. It's the "gateway."

I don't know I this is answers your questions, but it just the information that I received when I asked the mosque.

This year we decided to refrain from sparkling grape juice on New Years, with this understanding.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally I don't see the problem. I guess maybe it depends on how you percieve what you are drinking. For example I love Pina Colada's but I've never had the "real" deal where it contained alcohol. Even before I married I always ordered "virgin" drinks. It was never in my own perception to mimic or replace an alcoholic drink. I have always had Sparkling cider as a drink all on it's own, as it's own special drink. Again in my perception this is not replacing an alcoholic drink or mimicking drinking alchohol or drunkeness. I think there are things we overthink and as I see it I think this is one of those things. Juice is clearly halal so I can only assume sparkling cider is also halal. Alcohol causes our senses and morality to become inhibited and lax we lose some control of ourself by consuming alcoholic content. Sparkling cider does not create any impairment. It is something I drink on special occassions and I use my fancy glasses but I am not looking to mimic alcohol by consuming it. People have long consumed non-alcoholic cordials in the Middle East and it's never to my knowledge been a contentious issue (for example the ever popular vimto). Likewise people consume non-alcoholic beer without qualm. I think there is a clear line between what is haram and what is halal an I don't see an issue here. This is just my opinion though, I have no hadith or fatwas to back this up.  It just seems to me like we're looking too far into it and making Islam har for ourselves.  It reminds me of when the Jews kept asking for  clarification on what kind of cow they should offer as sacrifice.  We know alcohol is haram and juices are not.  If drink sparkling cider as a special occassion drink I don't think that is a gateway to celebrating with wine or is an immitation of drunk culture.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)