Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Niqqaabi Sisters....

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 246 Total Views

Assalaamu'Alaykum Wa Rahmataullaahi Wa Barakatuhu Sisters,

I hope this finds you well. My question is for the niqqaabi sisters out there. This question will probably appear in Severants of Allaah as well. Sorry for the repeating of the question.

I've been tossing and turning about wearing niqqaab. Although I love the protection that the niqqaab gives, i am feeling conviction about wearing it only part time. (taking off from work, etc)

How did you find the courage to wear it? How did you decide what style was benifical for you? How did your dh respond to wearing it? How was your children's take on it?

For myself, I do not have the courage to wear it just yet. I have only one style at the moment. The niqqaab I have is the single layer niqqaab. So, far I do not like it. It does make it more breathable, however it still shows the conture of my face. I think I will have to go to two or three layer niqqaab.

My husband just wants me to be happy with it. Secretly I feel he's very happy that I have come to the decision on my own. He's visiting family in Saudi Arabia at this moment, but he did say he will bring back several niqqaabs in the happy anticipation of me starting to wear niqqaab. 

My son thinks I look really cool. He wish I would wear it already. He likes when I mix up the colors. Like purple or white hijab with a solid black niqqaab for example.

I must say when I converted to Islaam almost 14 years ago I never dreamt I would ever have the desire to wear niqqaab. Now, it's an everyday thing. I can't get my mind off it.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM
waalaikum asalaam warahmat Allah, do you know the author Umm Zakkiya? she wrote a really nice piece on Niqab in light of culture and religion. I'll try to post it soon inshaAllah and offer some rulings and experiences :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Assalamu Alaykom sister,

Well, I have been wearing niqab for 13 years now and everyday I love it even more. Of course things here in Egypt are different than the U.S., but I'm sure it gives a sort of peace of mind anywhere. My first advice was to make sure you have a sincere will to please Allah with it. Wether you deem it as an obligation or a Sunna, it is a good act that will certainly bring you closer to Allah, insha'Allah. Since your husband and your child don't object to it should be even easier for you. My father was totally against it and I have tried to make him approve of it for almost a year, but then when I made sincere duaa to Allah he finally approved of it.  You might find it a little weird at first and you ou may find some styles that poke into yur eyes, some style might make you almost unable to breathe, but you'll find something that suits you well. Just go on trying different things, you'll need to try several styles on before you find something you are really comfortable with. After a while, it will be a sort of second nature to you. I also advice you to read more about the rulings concerning the niqab, especially the exegis of the verses taackling hijab in Surat Annour, and Surat Al-Ahzab. 

May Allah guise you to all that pleases Him and reward you with Jannah

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)