Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vinegar!?!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 689 Total Views

Assalamu alaikum ladies. I was reading the ingredients on my bottle of balsamic vinagarette dressing and saw that wine is used and that it is also used in red wine vinegar. When I Googled it I found that there are some differing opinions on if we can use it or not. Some say only white vinegar is ok and others say that once vinegar is finished processing all traces of alcohol are gone so it is ok and also that there is a hadith that prophet Muhammad pbuh said that vinegar is a good food.

Help! My husband and I have been eating these on our salads :(

pregnancy calendar

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Waalaikum Asalaam Warahmat Allah ABeautifulQadar :)

Awesome question. Im going to be checking my vinegar more carefully inshaaAllah! JazakAllah kheir for bringing this up! Below is basically saying that its about intention of how the alcohol became vinegar. If it became vinegar by people handling the alcohol through a processing treatment, then the vinegar is forbidden by most scholars. But if a wine turned on its own into vinegar without people handling the wine then that by the consensus of scholars is permissible. So based on this it is easy to conclude that we should pay attention to the processing of the vinegar versus just the ingredients. A bottle that says Red Wine Vinegar poses as a red flag to me..and maybe we can all try to research and see what the Halal committees have come up with in terms of which vinegars we are ok to consume without doubt. Hope this helps at least a little.

Allah Knows Best. 

Are wine and spirit vinegar halal? Considering all vinegar is made from oxidising a form of alcohol and that normal vinegar is supposed to be halal?

Praise be to Allaah.

Vinegar is a well known basic foodstuff, made from wine of which the composition has changed so that it is no longer sweet but is acidic or sour.

Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “What a good food is vinegar.” (Reported by Muslim, 3/1623)

When wine turns to vinegar by itself,
without any deliberate treatment needed for it to be changed, it is permissible to eat, drink and handle it, according to the consensus of the scholars, because of the hadeeth quoted above.

But if the wine has become vinegar because of deliberate treatment,
by adding vinegar, onions, salt etc., or by any other process, in this case the scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) differ as to whether it is permissible.

The Shafi’is, Hanbalis and some of the Maalikis say that it is not permissible to deliberately change wine to vinegar because then it is not pure. The evidence (daleel) for this is the hadeeth of Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked whether wine could be changed to be used as vinegar. He said, ‘No.’” (Reported by Muslim).

Abu Talhah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about some orphans who had inherited some wine. He said, “Pour it away.” He was asked, “Could they not make it into vinegar?” He said, “No.” (Reported by Muslim).

The reason for this is:

Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, has commanded us to avoid wine. Keeping it and treating it until it turns into vinegar means handling it and being involved with it by storing it and benefitting from it, and this is not permitted.

It is permitted for a Muslim to buy vinegar from someone who is selling it, unless he realizes or comes to know that it was produced by means of a deliberate process. ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “… There is nothing wrong with a man buying vinegar from the people of the Book, if they sell it, so long as he knows that they did not deliberately process it from wine.” (Al-Mughni, 8/330)

And Allaah knows best.

(Bidaayat al-Mujtahid li Ibn Rushd, 1/461; Kashshaaf al-Qinaa’ li’l-Bahwati, 1/187; Fath al-Qadeer li Ibn al-Hammaam, 8/166; al-Majmoo’ li’l-Nawawi, 1/225; al-Mughni li Ibn Qudaamah, 8/319).

ABeautifulQadar
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah its very confusing! I don't know if the company that made the vinegar allowed to change on its own or if it was mechanically changed. Oh the confusion lol

Quoting muhajjirah:

Awesome question. Im going to be checking my vinegar more carefully inshaaAllah! JazakAllah kheir for bringing this up! Below is basically saying that its about intention of how the alcohol became vinegar. If it became vinegar by people handling the alcohol through a processing treatment, then the vinegar is forbidden by most scholars. But if a wine turned on its own into vinegar without people handling the wine then that by the consensus of scholars is permissible. So based on this it is easy to conclude that we should pay attention to the processing of the vinegar versus just the ingredients. A bottle that says Red Wine Vinegar poses as a red flag to me..and maybe we can all try to research and see what the Halal committees have come up with in terms of which vinegars we are ok to consume without doubt. Hope this helps at least a little.

Allah Knows Best. 

Are wine and spirit vinegar halal? Considering all vinegar is made from oxidising a form of alcohol and that normal vinegar is supposed to be halal?

Praise be to Allaah.

Vinegar is a well known basic foodstuff, made from wine of which the composition has changed so that it is no longer sweet but is acidic or sour.

Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “What a good food is vinegar.” (Reported by Muslim, 3/1623)

without any deliberate treatment needed for it to be changed, it is permissible to eat, drink and handle it, according to the consensus of the scholars, because of the hadeeth quoted above.

by adding vinegar, onions, salt etc., or by any other process, in this case the scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) differ as to whether it is permissible.

The Shafi’is, Hanbalis and some of the Maalikis say that it is not permissible to deliberately change wine to vinegar because then it is not pure. The evidence (daleel) for this is the hadeeth of Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked whether wine could be changed to be used as vinegar. He said, ‘No.’” (Reported by Muslim).

Abu Talhah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about some orphans who had inherited some wine. He said, “Pour it away.” He was asked, “Could they not make it into vinegar?” He said, “No.” (Reported by Muslim).

The reason for this is:

Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, has commanded us to avoid wine. Keeping it and treating it until it turns into vinegar means handling it and being involved with it by storing it and benefitting from it, and this is not permitted.

It is permitted for a Muslim to buy vinegar from someone who is selling it, unless he realizes or comes to know that it was produced by means of a deliberate process. ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “… There is nothing wrong with a man buying vinegar from the people of the Book, if they sell it, so long as he knows that they did not deliberately process it from wine.” (Al-Mughni, 8/330)

And Allaah knows best.

(Bidaayat al-Mujtahid li Ibn Rushd, 1/461; Kashshaaf al-Qinaa’ li’l-Bahwati, 1/187; Fath al-Qadeer li Ibn al-Hammaam, 8/166; al-Majmoo’ li’l-Nawawi, 1/225; al-Mughni li Ibn Qudaamah, 8/319).

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
barunka050811
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Thats what i was going to say . How we know if it was a natural process. But i would think that companies dont really have the time to wait for it to happen naturally..

Very good question. Thanks god i only use white vinegar bowing down

Quoting ABeautifulQadar:

Yeah its very confusing! I don't know if the company that made the vinegar allowed to change on its own or if it was mechanically changed. Oh the confusion lol

Quoting muhajjirah:

Allah Knows Best. 

Praise be to Allaah.

The reason for this is:

And Allaah knows best.

umsarah
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM
3 moms liked this

Assalamu Alaykom sister,

There is a site for advice on Halal stuff. It is muslim consumer group, may be you can check on it 

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/

supermom7112219
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/search_results.html

Results when I searched the words vinegar in ingredients tab

Phone: 1-877-515-1008 BismiAllah! twitterfacebook

Have a Question

Search
* Be sure to select the correct option from the right
News
Alerts
Ingredient
E-Number
Food Chain
Non Food Products
Food Product by Product Name
Food Product by Category
Food Product by Brand Name
Show Only Halal
Click here to search any food product under food category [A - Z] or [Apple Juice - Yogurt]

Muslim Consumer GroupMuslim Consumer Group: Your Source for Halal Foods Information
Home Food
Products
Non Food
Products
Ingredients E-Numbers News & Alerts Muslim Consumer
Group (MCG)
MCG Halal
Certification
Services

Search Category: Ingredients

Seach results for the term: vinegar

Total results generated: 4
Halal Status Ingredient Category Description
halal Vinegar Mineral, Chemical, Synthetic based Ingredients Vinegar is a acidulant and flavorant. It is made from cider, grape, sucrose, glucose, malt by successive alcoholic and acetous fermentation.. The term vinegar is applies to cider..
haram Wine vinegar. Haram Ingredients from Alcoholic Fermentation It is obtained from wine and contains left over wine, wine flavor and color.
haram Balsamic Vinegar Grain & plant based ingredients True balsamic vinegar comes from Modena, Italy. Balsamic Vinegar is made from Trebbiano grape which is a sweet white grape which contains high sugar. Some products named balsamic vinegar are really dilutions containing ordinary red-wine vinegar. The grape cooked at about 185 F to obtain concentrated grape juice then cooled in wooden barrels, inoculated with fermentation culture which include transferring the grape juice to alcohol then to acetic acid and water then they aged for years. Other vinegars are not aged. Since it has higher sugar content the it will produce more alcohol which may not be converted to acetic acid and water. It is also possible they may use wine barrel to provide flavor. It is not made from wine but it is consider as a wine vinegar. Some company may add wine vinegar to get the right flavor. So we do not what happen during the production of Balsamic vinegar. MCG do not consider wine vinegar and Balsamic vinegar as Halal.
haram Wine Vinagar Grain & plant based ingredients Wine vinegar is made from wine which is Haram in Islam. Not all wine is converted to vinegar. The flavor and color of wine are also Haram which do not convert to a new thing.

HALAL STATUS SYMBOLS

Symbol: Halal Halal Symbol: Not Halal Not Halal Symbol: Mushbooh or Unknown Mushbooh or Unknown Symbol: Halal if no alcohol is used in flavor Halal if no alcohol is used in flavor Symbol: MCG Certified Halal MCG Certified Halal

MCG'S HALAL CERTIFICATION PROCEDURE:

Please fill out the application form from site or obtained through e-mail or fax.

Please click here for Certification Procedure

If your products pass the Halal requirements then signing the contract including number of inspection per year, record keeping, number of products to be Halal certified and service fees for Halal certification.

Muslim Consumer Group

MCG'S HALAL REQUIREMENTS:

Raw material, processing aid ingredients, processing, sanitation chemicals and packaging should meet the Islamic dietary requirements.

MCG will not consider a natural or artificial flavor as Halal if ethyl alcohol is used as a solvent or carrier and if the flavoring ingredients are not from Halal source.

CANADA FLAG
Click Here to visit our Canadian Halal Food Site.

© 2005 - 2013 Muslim Consumer Group. All Rights Reserved.
Site Developed by: LJ Web Management, Inc.

Original text

Contribute a better translation 

supermom7112219
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Phone: 1-877-515-1008 BismiAllah! twitterfacebook

Have a Question

Search
* Be sure to select the correct option from the right
News
Alerts
Ingredient
E-Number
Food Chain
Non Food Products
Food Product by Product Name
Food Product by Category
Food Product by Brand Name
Show Only Halal
Click here to search any food product under food category [A - Z] or [Apple Juice - Yogurt]

Muslim Consumer GroupMuslim Consumer Group: Your Source for Halal Foods Information
Home Food
Products
Non Food
Products
Ingredients E-Numbers News & Alerts Muslim Consumer
Group (MCG)
MCG Halal
Certification
Services

Search Category: Food Products

Seach results for the term: red wine

Total results generated: 2
Halal Status Product Name Category Product Brand Comments Date
haram Seasoned Red Wine Wine Vineger Vineger Nakano Due to left over Red Wine 05-19-12
haram Fat free Red wine vinaigre and All Dressing Salad Dressing Wish Bone No certification and presence of wine vinegar 03-13-09

HALAL STATUS SYMBOLS

Symbol: Halal Halal Symbol: Not Halal Not Halal Symbol: Mushbooh or Unknown Mushbooh or Unknown Symbol: Halal if no alcohol is used in flavor Halal if no alcohol is used in flavor Symbol: MCG Certified Halal MCG Certified Halal

MCG'S HALAL CERTIFICATION PROCEDURE:

Please fill out the application form from site or obtained through e-mail or fax.

Please click here for Certification Procedure

If your products pass the Halal requirements then signing the contract including number of inspection per year, record keeping, number of products to be Halal certified and service fees for Halal certification.

Muslim Consumer Group

MCG'S HALAL REQUIREMENTS:

Raw material, processing aid ingredients, processing, sanitation chemicals and packaging should meet the Islamic dietary requirements.

MCG will not consider a natural or artificial flavor as Halal if ethyl alcohol is used as a solvent or carrier and if the flavoring ingredients are not from Halal source.

CANADA FLAG
Click Here to visit our Canadian Halal Food Site.

© 2005 - 2013 Muslim Consumer Group. All Rights Reserved.
Site Developed by: LJ Web Management, Inc.

supermom7112219
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I was confused because vinegar can be made from honey, apples, rice wheat and even raisins and dates. And the ruling from scholars is that when the vinegar is left to make its own natural  process without any additive to speed up the process then its halal. Form what I'm reading in the Halal Consumer report the red-wine vinegar is not halal because the color and flavor is left in tact and some of the wine is left over.  I was confused because the report said that there was no certification and presence of wine vinegar.  I called the Muslim Consumer group . Custoumer service said the there is no halal certification for red wine vinegar and there is still a presence of red wine in the red wine vinegar. 

I have a homemade recipe that I like.  I use it as a marinade on grilled meat and salads.

Cherry Lime- Aid Dressing :)

Lime juice

cherries :) ,  cut in half and pitted or

blended in food processor

olive oil

oregano

salt and pepper

dash of white vinegar ( optional)

sugar or honey to taste.

Jasminemomof3
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

so regular vinegar is a ok?....i used white vingear yesterday :/

supermom7112219
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM
I just learned today about vinegar. So if it's plain vinegar it has to processed naturally
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CeceliaRosella
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Vinegar is ALWAYS made by a fermentation process that always includes an alchol stage. This information on the consumer website makes no sense. The final product of vinegar comes from the even further fermentation of ethanol, ethanol is alchohol. The ethanol is the begining of the fermentation of whatever is being used to make and flavor the vinegar, apples, grapes etc. ... does this mean the intention of using the product when BFORE i is vinegar is what makes it all haraam?

Vinegar was the favored condiment f the Prophet Muhammed peace be upon him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)