Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Women & Congregational Prayer

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 326 Total Views

I was actually doing a search around the Internet to see if there was anything particular I needed to do when I'm with my son at the masjid when we're in congregation, and it led me to another question:

Do women not hae to go to congregational prayer, even on Fridays? From what I've gathered, there's more reward to pray at home. Have I interpreted this wrong, or am I correct? 

My reason for asking-many of my Fridays are a challenge, as Jumuah is at my son's naptime (10 months old). The whole process is usually a cranky disaster. If I could toss his cranky hiney in his swing and make my prayer at home just as easily, it would be nice to know.

Thank you in advance for the clarity.

love you signPeaceSeeker84

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
barunka050811
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Women are not obligated to go pray in the mosque. Probably for that reason that we have to take care of children and the household so we get this "break"

ummali
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Its not obligation for women to pray in the mosque. Its preferred for women to pray in their home. I personal like to pray in the mosque to hear the lectures and to be around other sisters and for my kids to be around other muslims.
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:09 PM

assalamu alaikum sweet peaceseeker.. 

women are not obligated to go to the masjid or to Jumah.. though in the states, and especially in your wonderful town which I miss  terribly, it is a good chance to learn something good about the deen.. However, when bringing the child to the masjid is a distraction to the ones trying to pray then you are obligated to stay at home :) 

when my children were infants, I rarely took them to the masjid. so, dont' fret. insha' Allah you will be rewarded for your intention.. and once your precious prince is old enough to handle Jumah, you can go insha' Allah.  but still try to go every once in a while.. jumah in America is not only a good chance to learn. but also a good opportunity to connect with the rest of the Muslim community.. if you think it is hard to pray in the Haram..then go to the day care.. and listen to the khutbah there. :) 

love you for the sake of Allah and I leave you i HIS trusted care. 

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

peaceseeker84
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I was still pretty much going every Friday, but as he's getting older, he is far more restless. (I'm starting to think I'll aim to go whenever he takes his nap early or I'm having an awesome mommy day. This past Friday, for instance, he was crawling around and kept trying to bite this woman's purse. He's teething (finally) and he has several coming in at once. (Unfortunately, he chews on everything but his numerous teething rings)

The imaam gave a message not too long ago where he was basically like babies will be babies and how not to discourage children in the masjid, but gee wiz. Even the imaam's wife said I should just let him crawl around as the masjid is his home. I just get so panicked during prayer time because he's into everything. This one poor woman had a black/white zebra print skirt, and he crawled up too it and started violently shaking it during prayer. I guess the fabric was too much for him, lol. But, I was horrified.  

Proud, you know how warm our congregation is. Everyone always says oh he is fine. But internally, I"m still like "Is he?". My antsyness may be left over from my upbringing in church where kids had to basically be still and quiet.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (There. I feel better now that I got that out.) Thanks :-)

Quoting proud2bmom3:

assalamu alaikum sweet peaceseeker.. 

women are not obligated to go to the masjid or to Jumah.. though in the states, and especially in your wonderful town which I miss  terribly, it is a good chance to learn something good about the deen.. However, when bringing the child to the masjid is a distraction to the ones trying to pray then you are obligated to stay at home :) 

when my children were infants, I rarely took them to the masjid. so, dont' fret. insha' Allah you will be rewarded for your intention.. and once your precious prince is old enough to handle Jumah, you can go insha' Allah.  but still try to go every once in a while.. jumah in America is not only a good chance to learn. but also a good opportunity to connect with the rest of the Muslim community.. if you think it is hard to pray in the Haram..then go to the day care.. and listen to the khutbah there. :) 

love you for the sake of Allah and I leave you i HIS trusted care. 

peaceseeker84
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM

So...I'm a little confused. My husband inquired about this, as he didn't like my not attending regardless of the reason, and the imaam told him it wasn't true that women were excused from attending the masjid. Could someone give me some hadiths please?

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Assalamu alaikum dearest. 

I saw your message and typed up a reply, was called away, when I came back I found my daughter had exited the server before I could send.. plain

I think your imam is of the opinion that if women go to the mall and go visiting and and and... then they might as well go to the masjid learn something good for their deen and form ties with the community. since the original teaching of " stay in your homes" is not being followed , which is part of the reason why praying at home is better for a woman than praying at the masjid, I think that is why your imam and some other imams see that a woman should come to the masjid if there is no fear of fitnah.. some sheikhs and some imams are also of the opinion that if a woman benefits from coming to the  masjid, like Taraweeh, learning proper way of prayer, listening to a khutba that teaches her about her faith, or a lesson before or after prayer that benefits her, then it is better for her to go to the masjid, than praying at home. 

children are encouraged to go to the masjid, so they too can learn proper jama'ah and can learn to love the masjid, and so their moms can attend as well. however, once the child becomes a distraction then it is better to keep that child at home until he/she are of an age to learn to respect prayer and respect the masjid.   

I understand where your imam is coming from, I do.and I respect it. . but that does not change the fact that the hadiths clearly state that it is better for a woman to pray at home, and it is better to keep the children from distracting others who want to pray. 

However, whether your imam agrees with it or not, there is no dispute in the fact that going to the masjid is an OBLIGATION on the man NOT on the woman. and since it is not an obligation upon you, then you have the choice of staying home when tired, when your son is fussy and you know he will distract the people praying..

I will post for you insha' Allah the hadiths and fatwas that offer both opinions, and know that you have the choice and insha' Allah the reward for going and learning, or not going so others can pray properly or so you get the reward of praying at home..  

Quoting peaceseeker84:

So...I'm a little confused. My husband inquired about this, as he didn't like my not attending regardless of the reason, and the imaam told him it wasn't true that women were excused from attending the masjid. Could someone give me some hadiths please?

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

peaceseeker84
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Thank you, Proud! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)