Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't understand this about my masjid...combining prayers

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 213 Total Views

I have a question about something my masjid is doing today because of the bad weather in Pittsburgh.  My husband explained it to me like it's fact, because he's grown up knowing it, but I just don't understand the WHY.

We just got an email saying that because of the weather, Maghrib and Isha prayers at the masjid will be combined at Maghrib time.  My husband was explaining that some schools of thought say this is allowed because Muslims are supposed to pray all prayers at the masjid, because you get like 25 prayers for each one.  I don't understand why it wouldn't be better to just tell the congregation to pray at home, and stay out of the bad weather, rather than change/combine prayers.  I was under the impression we should only combine prayers when traveling.  Plus, women are encouraged to pray at home more than the masjid, so I've never heard this before.  But I think he's getting frustrated with my asking WHY, so I'm turning to any knowledgable sister for help understanding.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Quoting Laurin283:
asalaamalaikum ukhti..

I have a question about something my masjid is doing today because of the bad weather in Pittsburgh.  My husband explained it to me like it's fact, because he's grown up knowing it, but I just don't understand the WHY.

We just got an email saying that because of the weather, Maghrib and Isha prayers at the masjid will be combined at Maghrib time.  My husband was explaining that some schools of thought say this is allowed because Muslims are supposed to pray all prayers at the masjid, because you get like 25 prayers for each one.  I don't understand why it wouldn't be better to just tell the congregation to pray at home, and stay out of the bad weather, rather than change/combine prayers.

Congregational prayer is actually multiplied in reward by 27 (not 25) and even more than that if we consider tood deed accepted by Allah is multipled by  at least 10 no matter what the good deed is. Could it be that the forecast was really bad and dangerous so they thought that at maghrib it was safe but thought that later one in the night it wouldnt be?  

I was under the impression we should only combine prayers when traveling. Rasullilah salAllahu alayhee wasallam allowed combining prayers for serious reasons- not just travelling. For example, if someone is in surgery and yes for extreme weather. Granted although a supervisor might not tell someone to refrain from coming into work on harsh day of weather, in Islam it may be excused to go to the masjid because of Allah's Mercy and wanting ease for the believers, alhamdulilah.

Plus, women are encouraged to pray at home more than the masjid, so I've never heard this before. This is true, women are encouraged but not mandated to pray at home..and the reason for that is also for ease because women have many other roles- plus honestly its easy to concentrate on salaah in one's dark room than in a social setting of the masjid for many.

But I think he's getting frustrated with my asking WHY, so I'm turning to any knowledgable sister for help understanding. Do these answers make sense dear sister? Don't feel bad about your husband please, many husbands are like this and some think we are debating when asking why, how and all that even though they know we are seeking knowledge. You can always come here and ask inshaaAllah. May Allah bless your marriage :) 

Laurin283
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Alhumdulilah, it did help a bit, thank you.

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Assalamu alaikum dear sister.

men are under the obligation of praying all the prayers they can  in congregation at the masjid..  and so the combination of prayers in severely bad weather is for the safety of those who attend the masjid.  those who are not able to attend the masjid pray maghrib in its own time and Isha in its own time at home..

it DID happen in the time of prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, and after, when the weather was severe that the Muathin ( the one calling for prayer) saying : pray in your homes , instead of "Hayya Ala assalaah" and one time during travel when it was rainy and cold prophet Muhammad peace be upon him told the Mu'athin to say : " pray in your tents" .. this is to keep people safe from walking in snow, or ice , or under the rain..

However, if people nowadays are able to go to work and the mall in snow, or rain.. then they can attend the prayers right? so a lot of imams try not to combine prayers especially the Dhuhur and Asr..

in short. this is one of the provisions given to Muslims.. those who fear to go out in the snow, ice, or rain, have the permission to pray in their homes, or to combine prayers at the masjid, those who are able, can go to the masjid and pray in congregation..

if I speak in error then it is from me, may Allah forgive me and guide us all to what pleases HIM Ameen..

hope this helps. I leave you in the trusted care of Allah.

________________________________________________________________--

narrated by al-Bukhaari (901) and Muslim, according to which Ibn ‘Abbaas (ra) said to his muezzin on a rainy day: When you say Ashhadu anna Muhammadan Rasool-Allaah, do not say, Hayya ‘ala al-salaah (come to prayer); rather say, Sallu fi buyootikum (pray in your houses). It was as if the people found that objectionable. He said: One who is better than me did that. Jumu‘ah is obligatory, but I did not want to force you to walk in the mud and on slippery ground.

[al-Nawawi] said: This hadeeth indicates that Jumu‘ah may be waived because of rain and the like. This is our view and the view of others. Something different was narrated from Maalik (may Allah have mercy on him). And Allaah knows best which is correct. End quote.

The Hanbalis regarded snow as one of the reasons that make it permissible not to go to Jumu‘ah or prayers in congregation.

Its says in Kashshaaf al-Qinaa‘ (1/495): Attendance at Jumu‘ah or prayers in congregation may be waived in the event of rain, mud, snow, ice or a cold wind on a dark night, because of the words of Ibn ‘Umar: The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) would ask his caller to call out on a cold or rainy night when travelling: Pray where you are. Agreed upon. It was also narrated from Ibn Maajah with a saheeh isnaad, but he did not say “when travelling.” In al-Saheehayn it was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas that he said to his muezzin on a rainy day -- Muslim added that it was a Friday -- … and he narrated the hadeeth quoted above. And the same applies to snow, ice and cold.

This confirms that cold wind on a dark night is an excuse, because it is likely that it will rain. End quote.

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)