Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owing Debt. If you forgive the person who owes you, that person doesnt have to pay you back?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 246 Total Views
Hello/Asalaam Alaikum to everyone.
I know that owing Debt in Islam is a serious matter. The question that i have is, if you let a person borrow money and they are capable of paying you back, but later they asked for your forgiveness for not paying you back are they off Scott Free?
This has happened to me twice a person that i let borrow money from me promised to pay me back but never has
On the first occasion that person came to me because they were in trouble, i was hesitant in giving them the money but they looked me dead in the eyes and said "You can trust me, i will never do you wrong you, i promise to pay you back" so i gave it to them. A year went by and this person came again to borrow money, this time i made them put it in writing that they will pay me back. The first thing the person said was "If i dont pay you back and i die will you forgive me?" I said Yes. A month went by and i asked them about the money, they said "I dont owe you anything. I asked for your forgiveness and you said yes so i dont have to pay you back because you forgave me. I went around and asked everyone that i owe to forgive me and they did so i dont owe them either" I was shocked at this statement! The Prophet saw said "That the Martyr/Shaheed who dies for the sake of Allah swt, all of his sins will be forgiven except Debt." This shows how serious Debt is. Where in the Hadith or Quran does it say that as long as you forgive that person they dont owe you your money anymore?
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

assalamu alaikum dear sister. 

you are correct.. debt IS a serious matter, and this person that went around trying to trick you out of your money is wrong. remind them that you said you would forgive them in case of their DEATH.. and ONLY in case of Death if they were not able to pay you.. but to trick you into "forgiving them" and then not paying you back is dishonest, and frankly quite childish..  I would ask this person." are we in kindergarten?" I would say: " forgiving you is a discretion I might have chosen after your death. but since you only asked that to trick me, then  you are not forgiven, even after your death. and I will take my money from  you on the day of judgement........". and see how they react.. 

sorry.. people like that irk me and rub me the wrong way. you might think my answer is a bit harsh. but that would be MY reply to such a blatant disregard to my feelings, my property, and my kindness. 

you are under no obligation to forgive him/her after pulling such a stunt. and Allah knows what is in your hearts and trust that the Almighty will grant you justice if not on earth, then in the hereafter. 

so, if you are one who does not shy from confrontatios, give them a piece of your mind.. even if through an email or facebook message, or even text.. if you feel you dont' want to deal with them any more, then say Hasbiya Allah wa ni'malwakeel.  and trust that being awarded your debt on the day of  judgement is far more beneficial to you insha' Allah 

you are in my dua.. it is a shame that such people take advantage of the goodness of others.. la hawla wala quwatta illa billaah. 

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)