Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

post from mom's confessions

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 338 Total Views

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/18588659/Muslim_Prayer_Coming_to_a_School_Near_You

Thought this was interesting! It seems like a good step until you read the comments...

by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
-Cassandra-
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand why the article was written in the first place.  According to constitutional laws they have to allow anyone who wants to pray to do so.  They cannot enforce or even endorse any one religion in school and teachers cannot lead prayer sessions.  However, students regardless of religion are always supposed to be allowed to fulfill their religious obligations.  The are allowed to do so even if they are failing their classes so the school putting a mandatory grade requirement on it is enough to land them in some hot water if the ACLU or a student who's denied because of grades decides to file a complaint.

As for the comments section nothing was surprising.  It's a bunch of people who say either all pray or none and apparently are unaware that their children have the right to pray on their own in school every day if needed.  It also shows the usual lack of understanding of Muslim needs since they think pray on your own time is something we can do.  They don't even know that Muslims must pray 5 times a day at specified time intervals.  My 7 and 8 year olds do not consistently pray at school but I have sent letters to their teahers letting them know the time frames of prayers that occur during school and that it shouldn't take them much more than 5 minutes to pray and that yes they can wait till they finish their work as long as they will not miss their time window, etc... and my kids pray right in their class rooms in the corner of the room.  I've told them it's okay to send them somewhere else like the hall or something if it is distracting other students.  It never ceases to amaze me how misunderstood freedom of religion and separation of church and state in schools is misunderstood by people who should know this in the first place.

barunka050811
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I also doont understand why this article was written, first aof all most of the kids need to pray at school Duhr prayer so i dont see why it would disrupt anybody plus i think they can always find time in on of their brakes . I will not comment at he answer other gave at the original forum. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)