Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I made my first Samboosa

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 229 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Assalaamu'Alaykum Sisters,

I hope this finds you in the greatest of imaan. I am so happy. I made my first ever Samboosa. :) I am so proud of myself. DS ate some and enjoyed it, and my dh was surprised. He will eat some later when he's home. But I feel happy.  Just thought I would share the news.

feeimanAllaah.

MENAMAMA

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mommy2BeAmy
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Yummmm

I just had some ism3lliye and hareesa
I'm also goin for a shawerma in an hour lol
lulubird83
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Can you please share the recipe?

Quoting MENAMAMA:

Assalaamu'Alaykum Sisters,

I hope this finds you in the greatest of imaan. I am so happy. I made my first ever Samboosa. :) I am so proud of myself. DS ate some and enjoyed it, and my dh was surprised. He will eat some later when he's home. But I feel happy.  Just thought I would share the news.

feeimanAllaah.

MENAMAMA

MENAMAMA
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Assalaamu'Alaykum Sister,

Please forgive me for replying late. Here's the recipe. It also has a show by show play of it on Youtube.com. The sister gives excellent pointers on how to make it as well. I just followed everything as she said. If you get the ingredients before hand and set it up, you can have it done within 45minutes give or take. It's really easy. The hard part was the prep.

Good luck. feeimanAllaah.

INGREDIENTS

About 1 lb. of ground beef, more or less is okay
½ onion,chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 green chilis, chopped (or to taste)
Salt to taste (I used ½ tsp.)
2 tablespoons oil
2 cloves garlic
Chopped cilantro or parsley, optional
1 tsp. hawaij (spice mix with cumin, coriander, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom)
Sambusa wrappers

HOW TO MAKE

1.       Sautee the onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until slightly brown.

2.       Then add the tomatoes and cook until the water has evaporated.

3.       Add the beef and break up with a spoon. Add the chilis, spices, and salt. Cook until the meat is no longer pink and all the water is evaporated, about 15 minutes or so. It is important that the mixture be as dry as possible.

4.       Begin to spoon a bit of filling onto the end of each sambusa wrapper. I do this in an equilateral triangle shape. Then gently fold the sambusa over, keeping the filling tightly wrapped inside. Continue until you reach the end of the wrapper. Take care not to leave holes at the corners of the triangle because that will let in too much oil. (This happened to me on some of them).

5.       Fry in oil over medium-high heat until golden brown. (5-10 minutes). Best served when hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nm1sXkJDmvQ

barunka050811
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I make them too but i make my own wrapers. Last time i made them filled only with vegetables. mnam. delicious.

lulubird83
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Thanks! Is the wrapper just filloh dough like my mil used to use?

Quoting MENAMAMA:

Assalaamu'Alaykum Sister,

Please forgive me for replying late. Here's the recipe. It also has a show by show play of it on Youtube.com. The sister gives excellent pointers on how to make it as well. I just followed everything as she said. If you get the ingredients before hand and set it up, you can have it done within 45minutes give or take. It's really easy. The hard part was the prep.

Good luck. feeimanAllaah.

INGREDIENTS

About 1 lb. of ground beef, more or less is okay
½ onion,chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 green chilis, chopped (or to taste)
Salt to taste (I used ½ tsp.)
2 tablespoons oil
2 cloves garlic
Chopped cilantro or parsley, optional
1 tsp. hawaij (spice mix with cumin, coriander, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom)
Sambusa wrappers

HOW TO MAKE

1.       Sautee the onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until slightly brown.

2.       Then add the tomatoes and cook until the water has evaporated.

3.       Add the beef and break up with a spoon. Add the chilis, spices, and salt. Cook until the meat is no longer pink and all the water is evaporated, about 15 minutes or so. It is important that the mixture be as dry as possible.

4.       Begin to spoon a bit of filling onto the end of each sambusa wrapper. I do this in an equilateral triangle shape. Then gently fold the sambusa over, keeping the filling tightly wrapped inside. Continue until you reach the end of the wrapper. Take care not to leave holes at the corners of the triangle because that will let in too much oil. (This happened to me on some of them).

5.       Fry in oil over medium-high heat until golden brown. (5-10 minutes). Best served when hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nm1sXkJDmvQ

MENAMAMA
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I know you can use spring rolls or egg rolls if you like. some use tortilla rolls for a thicker feel. For me I used a egg roll cause I just didn't have time to make the dough. however they turned out really well using egg rolls. My friend uses spring rolls an swear by them. 

barunka050811
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:05 AM

I use the egg roll wraper for Tunisian "Sambosa" called brik. Fo the actual Sambosas i use either gluten free recipe or last time i tried a recipe i found online.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)