Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

quick quest. about fasting

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 245 Total Views
Salam, my whole life when I eat for Suhoor, I always new that we start fasting at fajr around 3:57am this year Eastern time. but my neighbor is telling me we stop by sunrise at the second time around 5:32am et. Am i wrong? And can i have proof please.
They are telling that overseas like in Jordan, the mosque wakes everyone up for Fajr to prepare for Suhoor and at the second Athan/calling we stop eating and we pray Fajr. I am sooooooo confused now. Thanks
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:39 AM

Asalaamalaaikum Warahmat Allah Wabarakatu,

Fasting starts at Fajr. Suhoor must happen before Fajr begins, not at then end of Fajr when Shurooq starts. 

If you're on the East Coast- you're time of 3:57 sounds about right. The 5:32 time she is referring to is sounding more like Shurooq Time (sun is officially up!) and its basically to let those know that Fajr is OVER and 2 Rakaat can be prayed at that time for Duha (a Sunnah) prayer.

In Madinah& Makkah there are 2 Adhans- 1. to wake the people up and 2. for Fajr. Maybe in Jordan its the same? But in alHaramain, the second adhan IS the Fajr adhan and we stop eating seconds before it.

It sounds like your friend is confused because here and on prayer time schedules there arent 2 Adhans for Fajr so she might be trying to rationalize it but she needs to know that its not called like that here in the Masajid. 

Try Islamic Finder for the times of your location and maybe pass one along to her to clarify. Ill get to the daleel inshaaAllah sometime today.

zongomom
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Salam sisters Iam having the same problem but I understand a little better to make sure Suhoor means to eat and itls it the same for maghib you eat first then pray
zongomom
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Salam sisters Iam having the same problem but I understand a little better to make sure Suhoor means to eat and itls it the same for maghib you eat first then pray
muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Fajr is the time we are to stop eating suhoor (pre-dawn meal), while fasting. It begins with the arrival of true dawn. It is best that we follow the timetable  which marks the time of fajr clearly. It is preferred to stop eating at least five minutes before the fajr time.

Shurooq is the time of the sun rise. The time for praying fajr extends from dawn to sun rise (shurooq). We are not allowed to pray at the time of sunrise. We should wait at least half an hour to pray the prayer we have missed or the sunnah or optional prayers we may wish to perform. 

~Scholar Ahmad Kutty

askthescholar.com

Jadamay
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Jazak Allah Khair sisters! I knew I wasn't going crazy. It's ok I don't need daleel. And sister Muhajjarrah, you are absolutely right! I was explaining to my neighbor how the two athans are as you explained and she finally called a masjid in our area and the Sheikh explained the same thing! Lol... AlhamduAllah I got through to her!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN