Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Losing teeth when there is no tooth fairy?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 302 Total Views
What do you do for your kids?
My daughter is no where meat time for that, but my grandmother has taken it upon herself to convince her the tooth fairy is real!

She was so sad when I told her there is none, my grandmother then told her "yes she is real, she used to visit your mommy and give her a dollar"
DD asked can she just try because she wants money :/

Should I just pay her for each tooth so she doesn't feel she is missing out on something? Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
No, I don't think you should pay her for every tooth she loses. Maybe turn it into a lesson that when we lose something Allah gives us something greater in return and in her case she'll get grown-up teeth which are bigger and better inshaaAllah. if she's patient with that then maybe reward for sticking to the Sunnah instead of pretend fairies :) but I wouldn't do it by giving the dollar, do something different but still simple. just my opinion. kheir inshaaAllah.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Thanks for the great suggestion a usual sis :)
I don't want her to feel cheated at all!
If only my family would help me in this!!! Lol.
Not going to happen!
They can't seem to get through their heads there is no compromise in how my kids will be raised.
These "traditions" and holidays just don't comprehend to them or they don't care to.

Quoting muhajjirah:

No, I don't think you should pay her for every tooth she loses. Maybe turn it into a lesson that when we lose something Allah gives us something greater in return and in her case she'll get grown-up teeth which are bigger and better inshaaAllah. if she's patient with that then maybe reward for sticking to the Sunnah instead of pretend fairies :) but I wouldn't do it by giving the dollar, do something different but still simple. just my opinion. kheir inshaaAllah.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovingislam
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:14 AM
I agree I don't think you should pay her because it could confuse her. Rather use it as a time to explain the differences in people's beliefs and, be honest with her, tell her exactly who the tooth fairy was when you were a child. It also won't be very fun for the others to tell your daughter these things if they see you're going to tell her the truth right away. She's not too young to understand. You can also use Santa as an example. When I explain the truth to my kids they find other's traditions weird and the fact that parents are lying to their children very unIslamic. Everything SubhanAllah within Islam can be explained through Quran and sunnah which makes it so much easier to explain things to kids. They are also more receptive to it at a young age because it's not made up. We tell our kids the tooth has to be buried because it was part of a living thing and I'm sure you could come up with some way to celebrate her "getting older" that doesn't involve money or fairies. Good luck!
-Cassandra-
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:14 AM

I've never paid my children for losing their teeth and I told them flat out the tooth fairy isn't real.  When my parents tried telling them the tooth fairy story I told them that Grandma was the one who left the moeny under my pillow not a tooth fairy and that sometimes they tell kids little lies to make things fun and exciting but that is not what we believe is appropriate because we as Muslims should always be truthful.  They have been a little disapointed about it a few times (like when their kindergarten or first grade class made pillows to put lost teeth in for the tooth fairy) but they get over it.  Kids always feel like they are missing out on something even when they have something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)