Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions on Wudoo'

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:48 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 271 Total Views
Salam,

How are you sisters? I have two simple questions about Wudoo'.

1) Does smoking break wudoo'? My husband and I were having a debate about it! Lol..

2) What is your take on your husband touching you while on wudoo? When I talk about touching, I mean bumping into eachother, shaking hands, even if I'm handing something to him and our fingers touch?

I've always gotten a difference of opinion on that. So I wanted everyone's two cents on it?

Thanks...
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:05 AM

assalamu alaikum dear sister. 

smoking does not nullify your wudu.. not that I have read. but i will research it for you.. smoking though is with no doubt, haram. and i will post the fatwa for you after i come back to my computer.. 

EDITED:  I came back lol. here is a fatwa to support what I said:

What is the Islamic ruling on the one who sells various kinds of tobacco? I smoke, and when I hear the adhaan, I go to the mosque. Do I have to repeat my wudoo', or is it sufficient just to rinse my mouth? I know that smoking causes various diseases.

Praise be to Allaah. 

It is forbidden to sell tobacco because of its evil nature and its many harmful effects. The one who does that is considered to be a faasiq (evildoer). You do not have to repeat your wudoo' after smoking, but you should remove the offensive odour from your mouth with something that will take it away. It is also obligatory to hasten to repent to Allaah from that.

From Fataawaa al-Lajnah al-Daa'imah, 13/57

as for touching husband and nullifying wudu.. there are indeed two opinions on that. some scholars say it doesn't some say it does.. my husband and I differ in that lol. I take the opinion that it does not, he errs on the side of caution and takes the opinion that it does.. ( I tease him when I hand him keys before he goes to the masjid by pretending to touch his hand lol) here is the fatwa; 

A man can hardly go through his day without giving and taking things from his wife. If he has wudoo’ and touches his wife, does this break his wudoo’?

Praise be to Allaah.

The scholars differ as to whether touching one’s wife directly breaks a man’s wudoo’. The most correct opinion is that it does not break his wudoo’, regardless of whether he touched her with desire or not, because the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Alaah be upon him) kissed some of his wives and did not do wudoo’ after that, and because it would impose a lot of hardship if wudoo’ was required in this case. If it broke a person’s wudoo’, the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would have said so.

With regard to the words of Allaah in the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning): “… or you have been in contact with women…” [al-Nisa’ 4:43; al-Maa’idah 5:6], this refers to sexual intercourse according to the sounder scholarly opinion.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/266

hope this answers your questions.. if I speak in error then it is from me, may  Allah forgive me and guide us all to what pleases HIM .ameen. love you for the sake of Allah, and I leave you in HIS trusted care. 

I will start a new post about smoking Insha Allah. living now in Jordan subhana Allah i see smoking is the habit of many women, not just men. regular cigarettes, and sheesha ( Hookah, Nargil)  may Allah guide us  and forgive us all 

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

Jadamay
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Salam,
Thanks sister Proud. And Masha'Allah I didn't know that you moved to Jordan! Inshallah if I visit there maybe we will meet.

As for smoking, my husband smokes, and I know it's haram, so I was curious in that sense.

As for wudoo', I like to be cautious like your husband too so when I hand something to my husband and if the tip of his fingers touch mine, I go nuts! Lol...

But my husband thinksthe way you do. When I was younger, I had a friend that taught me and a friend Dean, and they were following the Hanafy Mathhab and I grew up knowing the Shafi3y way with Wudoo', Salat, etc. So I got confused on which way to go! I understand they are minor differences, but it just seemed that I was leading myself more towards the Hanafy way. Even though the hanafy way u can touch your husband.

Another example that confused me, is making wudoo' with your socks on. The shafi3y I believe can keep their socks on but the Hanafy way, u don't. You get me? Sorry I know I'm horrible at explaining myself. Anyway, Jazak Allah Khair sister!
MrsSippyCup
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:13 PM
My husband doesn't perform wudu after smoking just brushes his teeth. I don't smoke. As for touching no we don't repeat wudu for normal interactions but a kiss even a peck yes.
Ya-Amar
by on May. 8, 2014 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Tocuhing (If not sexual) doesn't break wudu :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)