Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ruling on Smoking- including Sheesha.

Posted by (Group Owner) on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:18 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 190 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Assalamu alaikum dear sisters. 

in another post, a sister asked about smoke and wudu'. and this got me thinking , we should post something about smoking in general.. it is a growing epidemic. even though in the states, there is a growing rejection of this evil. subhana Allah, they reject it for health reasons ( of course) .. but living here in Jordan for a year now ( oh, my how time flies) I noticed that women in the Arab world smoke, just as much as the men. and it is taken as an acceptable social practice, even expected. especially the sheesha ( nargil- hookah). 

and so I have decided to start a thread about smoking -if we as Muslims dont' care about our health or the health of the ones around us, maybe we should care about the ruling that it is indeed haram.. 

this is NOT a comment on any of the members here. like every other post here on the group, we reply, or post so we can educate ourselves and each other on our beautiful deen. ( faith) so please if you are someone who is tested with this sin. please do not come out here and start arguing about it. this is not aimed at you for judgment. we all have our sins and our challenges. we should ask Allah for the strength to overcome them. not argue that they are not sin and so put ourselves in a deeper sin . know what i mean? 

please keep your replies respectful and on topic. like i said, this is in reply to a question posted by a sister in another thread.. this is not to be seen as a comment on any of you my dear sweet sisters 

of course I will be posting the fatwas to support the ruling. but in a nutshell .. some of  the reasons behind considering smoking as haraam are :

* it is addictive; and causes one to have a relaxation similar to that of drugs and alcohol. so for that, it is haram. 

* It is harmful to your health, and to the health of others ( prophet Muhammad peace be upon him said; there should be no harming yourself , nor causing  harm to others - laa dharara wa laa dhiraar) 

* It can lead to your death, and Allah in the Quran clearly states not to do anything that would lead to ones death, and so, for that alone, it should be haram

* it wastes your money, because you are spending so much money on something that is only harmful and has no benefit. 

for these reasons, and others.  scholars agree that smoking is indeed haram. sheesha  isn't any better , in fact sheesha is worse, as it is the equivalent of more than ten regular cigarrets. ( I will post a fatwa in the replies in sha Allah ) 

wherever I go here in Jordan i am faced with smoker subhana Allah. taxi cabs, restaurants, shopping centers.. weddings.. Weddings are the worse. because you would be in the women's section and really NOT expecting a cloud of foggy smoke. what is worse, is that they are my aunts and my cousins... what can i do? i only give a reminder once.. but you cannot change those who do not want to change.. so all I can do is make dua for them. may Allah heal them from this addiction, may Allah grant them the strength to overcome it . and may HE forgive them.. and forgive us our shortcomings as well. alhamdulilaah i do not smoke, but i do have my own battles of sin to fight against.. may Allah grant us all the strength and guidance to worship HIM in a manner pleasing to HIM .ameen. 

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:30 AM
Assalamu alaikum dear sisters,
I will be posting some of the fatwas here as time permits me to log on here.. i will edit them for color of text In Shaa Allah later today.. i searched the group today and found a post about smoking, it had some irrelevant replies  with it, so I deleted the replies and will link this post to it,  bear with me. it is a work in progress

Is smoking cigarettes Haraam?

Praise be to Allah and peace and blessings be on His Prophet SAWS.

Smoking is one of the things which has caused a lot of problems and harm these days and it has spread like wild fire. Before we discuss this topic in detail, we should know that Allaah the Almighty has divided things in the world into two types, good or permissible (al-tayyibaat, al-halaal) and evil or prohibited (al-khabaa'ith, al-haraam), and there is no third type. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning) in surat al-A'raaf (7:157):

"And He makes good things halaal for them and bad things haraam."

Considering this fact, smoking can either be permissible and good or prohibited and evil.

Thus, we present some of its characteristics and let the person asking the question see himself in which type lies smoking.

1. There is no disagreement among the physicians and sane people that smoking is harmful for health. It is one of the major causes of lung cancer and other diseases. It is also one of the major causes of death. Since, it is known that the Islamic law prohibits everything that is harmful for a human being. Allah said (interpretation of meaning):

"Do not kill yourself. Allah is Merciful unto you." (Surat al-Nisaa' 4:29)

In addition, His Prophet  SAWS (peace be upon him) said:

"There is no harm or causing of harm (in Islaam)." (Arabic "laa darar wa laa diraar")

He SAWS (peace be upon him) also said:

"A person will not be able to move on the Day of Judgment until he is asked about ... his body as to what he engaged it in."

Smoking also goes against the saying of the Prophet  SAWS:

"Your body has a right on you."

2. There is no disagreement among the physicians and sane people that smoking is harmful for the health of others who inhale the polluted breath of the smoker. Medical research has proven the harmful effects of smoking mothers on their children.
  3. The offensive smell caused by smoking is a source of pain to the worshippers of Allah among humans and angels. The angels are offended and suffer from the same things that the human beings suffer from. Allah said (interpretation of the meaning):

"Those who cause harm to believing men and women without any reason do a great sin." (Surat al-Ahzaab, 33:58)

4. The money that is spent on cigarettes is used on buying a harmful thing and is therefore an extravagance. Allah said (interpretation of the meaning):

"… and do not be extravagant wasters. Those who are extravagant are kinsmen of Satan." (Surat al-Israa' 17:26-27)

Extravagance (in Islam) means spending on something haraam.

Spending money on cigarettes is a waste of resources as well. The Prophet  SAWS (peace be upon him) said:

"A person will not be able to move on the Day of Judgment until he is asked about ..... what he owned as to how he spent it."

5. Considering all that has been presented, it can be clearly seen that smoking is an evil among many others. It is not permissible to indulge in it, or buy and sell it, or even to offer it to others. It is incumbent on a person who is addicted to it that he must make all efforts and get whatever necessary treatment to stop it. If the unbelievers have understood the harm caused by smoking and made laws regarding it, the Muslims should be even more eager to stop it and treat those who are addicted to it.

We ask Allah the Almighty to cure everyone indulging in this evil and help him in giving it up. Allah is the Best Guide to the Right Path.

Islam Q&A 
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:41 AM
Is shisha [water pipe, also known as hookah or hubble-bubble] haraam? What if a person does not use any kind of tobacco; rather he uses rosewater? Is it still haraam?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly: 

There is no doubt that smoking is one of the worst poisons that many people are very keen to consume, not caring about the diseases that it causes, which lead to death in many cases. The World Health Organisation stated, in its 2008 report, that smoking tobacco kills 5.4 million people every year, i.e., approximately 14,000 people every day. Unless urgent measures are taken, tobacco will kill ten million people annually by the year 2020. 

In the answer to questions no. 7432 and 10922, we have explained that it is haraam to cultivate, deal in and consume this evil plant. 

Secondly: 

The tobacco – as well as jiraak (something similar to tobacco) and mu‘assal (mild, flavoured tobacco) – which are smoked in the shisha are no different from regular cigarette tobacco that is rolled up in papers; in fact it contains bad ingredients that are not found in cigarettes. It says on the website of the Bahrain Anti-Smoking Society: 

Components of shisha: 

These components are no different from the components of cigarette tobacco and its smoke, as it contains no less than four thousand toxic substances, the most significant of which are: nicotine, carbon monoxide, tar, heavy metals, radioactive substances, carcinogens, agricultural chemicals, insecticides and many other toxic substances. 

Some tobacco companies claim that all or most of the tar is removed from shisha tobacco. A number of flavouring substances, the components of which are not known, are also added to shisha tobacco, the extent of the harmful effects of which we do not know. What is said about smoking by means of the shisha or narghileh with tobacco or jiraak or mu‘assal being free of danger is not true at all. A four-year study in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has proven that mu‘assal is in fact pure tobacco with a large amount of dyes, colours and flavourings that have been mixed without any attention to health regulations, and it proved that it causes various kinds of disease and cancer. 

Jiraak contains 15% tobacco, mixed with honey, fruits and chemical additives that are cooked and fermented. 

End quote. 

Thirdly: 

Some naive people think that consuming this plant by means of the arghileh or shisha is permissible (halaal), because the smoke passes through the water of the arghileh pipe. But this is far from correct. Experts say: 

1.     One session of smoking the arghileh is equivalent to smoking at least ten cigarettes.

2.     Partial burning of the mu‘assal increases the toxic substances in the arghileh.

3.     Use of the arghileh by a number of people increases the transmission of contagious diseases between them.

4.     Water does not filter out the toxic carcinogenic substances contained in arghileh tobacco. 

On the website of the Bahrain Anti-Smoking Society it says: 

Many people believe that smoking shisha is less serious than smoking cigarettes, because of the prevalent belief that when the smoke passes through the water in the shisha pipe, it removes harmful substances from the smoke and thus reduces the harm that results from smoking shisha. The error of this notion has been proven by means of analysing the smoke that comes out of the mouth of the shisha smoker, which has been shown to contain the same harmful and carcinogenic substances that are present in cigarette smoke. Studies have also proven that smoking shisha: 

1.     Causes addiction

2.     Reduces lung function and causes emphysema and chronic bronchitis, which limits the person’s ability to engage in any physical exertion.

3.     It leads to cancer of the lung, mouth, oesophagus and stomach.

4.     It leads to a high concentration of carbon monoxide in the blood.

5.     It leads to a decrease in fertility in both males and females.

6.     It contributes to an increase in the spread of pulmonary tuberculosis in shisha users.

7.     In women who smoke shisha during pregnancy, it leads to lower birth weight in the foetus; it also exposes the foetus to respiratory disease in the future or to sudden crib death after birth.

8.     Offensive odours are spread when exhaling and on one’s clothing. And it has other effects such as making the voice hoarse, causing reddening in the eyes, and leading to the appearance of wrinkles in the skin and face, especially at an early age.

9.     This is in addition to the fact that smoking shisha is regarded as one of the primary contaminants of air in homes and near coffee shops where there are a large number of smokers. 

End quote from the website. 

Hence the prohibition of using tobacco by means of the arghileh or shisha is definite. 

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem (may Allah have mercy on him) was asked about the difference between smoking a regular, rolled-up cigarette and smoking jiraak in the shisha and so on. 

The shaykh (may Allah have mercy on him) responded by stating that smoking is haraam, then he said: 

Once this is proven, it makes no difference whether it is smoked in a regular cigarette or by some other means, such as this foul shisha, and whether the tobacco is smoked in a pure form or mixed with other things like the jiraak. It is still mixed an evil mix. Names do not change facts; if something haraam is mixed with something else, it is still haraam. In the hadeeth it says: “At the end of time there will be people who drink alcohol and call it by some other name.”

Narrated by Ahmad; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Saheehah, 414. 

Fataawa al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem (12/90) 

The scholars of the Standing Committee said: 

Shisha, narghileh and smoking are all evil actions and are haraam, because of the harm they cause to one’s body and wealth. Allah, may He be exalted, said, describing our Prophet Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him): “he allows them as lawful At‑Tayyibaat (i.e. all good and lawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods), and prohibits them as unlawful Al‑Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods)” [al-A‘raaf 7:157]. It is proven that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “There should be neither harm nor reciprocating harm.” So it is not permissible to use these things or to sell them or to distribute them. 

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allah Aal al-Shaykh; Shaykh ‘Abd-Allah ibn Ghadyaan; Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan; Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd 

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 26/351 

Fourthly: 

With regard to your question about using shisha without putting any tobacco and using only rosewater instead, this is something that we do not know of and we cannot imagine that it exists. What is the combustible substance? What are you going to inhale?  The ruling on a thing is to be based on the way it is understood, so we hope that you will explain this matter. 

And Allah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)