Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jesus peace be upon him , in Islam

Posted by (Group Owner) on Mar. 4, 2007 at 4:50 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 417 Total Views
Assalamu alaikum sisters,
I thought I would bring over a couple of articles that we posted before about the status of Jesus peace be upon him in Islam

here is the link if you are interested in reading the replies, otherwise, I wil attach all three articles here.
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 4:52 PM
this is by sheikh Muzzamil Siddiqi

it is an established fact that all the Prophets and Messengers of God were sent as light bearers to humanity; they all came with the purpose of upholding the truth, maintaining justice and bringing man closer to his Lord. In accomplishing this task, Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), as well as other Prophets of God, had to undergo a series of difficulties, hardships and torment to make people grasp and believe in the message brought to them. As members of the human family, we should show all forms of respect to Allah's Prophets and Messengers. We should never in anyway project any of Allah's Prophets or Messengers in a bad way. Rather, we should follow their guidance and stick to their footsteps in order to achieve steadfastness and uprightness in our lives.

Delving deeper in this issue,Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, President of the Fiqh Council of North America, stated in his Khutbah at the Islamic Society of Orange County (California, USA) on Shawwal 15, 1423/December 20, 2002:

Almighty Allah says: [Say ye: we believe in Allah, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) Prophets from their Lord: we make no difference between one and another of them: and we bow to Allah (in Islam).] (Al-Baqarah 2: 136)

[Behold! the angels said: "O Mary! Allah giveth Thee glad tidings of a Word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honor in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to Allah.] (Aal `Imran 3: 45)

We believe in all the Prophets and Messengers of Allah. We respect and honor all of them without any discrimination. We believe that all Prophets preached the message of tawhid (monotheism) and all of them invited human beings to worship Allah (GOD) alone and live a righteous life. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) was not the only Prophet of God, but he was the last and final Prophet of God. Prophet Muhammad is not the founder of Islam; all Prophets were Muslims and they followed the way of Islam.

It may be a surprise to many people in America that we Muslims also believe in Jesus. Although we do not celebrate Christmas, but we do respect and honor the person in whose name this festival is observed. We believe that Jesus was one of the great Prophets of God. In the Qur'an he is called 'Isa. He is also known as al-Masih (the Christ) and Ibn Maryam (Son of Mary). He has many other beautiful names and titles in the Qur'an. He is a highly respected religious figure. Every Muslim honors him, respects him and loves him. His mother is also highly respected, loved and honored. There are hundreds of thousands of Muslim men all over the world who feel proud and blessed to have the name `Isa; as there are thousands of Muslim women who feel honored and blessed to be called Maryam.

Unlike the Gospels or the New Testament in general, the subject matter of the Qur'an is not Jesus. The Qur'an speaks in detail about God, God's will for human beings and about many of God's Prophets and Messengers. Yet, all the basic facts about Jesus' life are mentioned in the Qur'an. The Qur'an says in several places that Mary was a pious virgin who devoted her life in prayer and divine service. The angel of God one day visited her and gave her the good news of the birth of a blessed child. This was a miraculous birth as Mary was not a married woman. The virgin birth is clearly mentioned in the Qur'an and no recognized Muslim authority has ever disputed this claim. However, Muslim and Christian interpretations differ on the meaning of virgin birth. For Christians it was the sign of incarnation, the coming to earth of the Son of God. For Muslims it was a special miracle. For every Prophet a particular miracle was given according to the needs and challenges of his time. Since Jesus' contemporaries used to deny the existence of spirit, they were shown the presence and the power of divine spirit by this unique birth. Jesus also performed many other miracles, such as raising of the dead to life, healing the blind and lepers, speaking about the hidden things. All these miracles show that material is not the only thing; there is something beyond the material that must be recognized. Jesus reminds us about the power of Divine Spirit. The Qur'an emphasizes that Jesus performed all his miracles only by the permission of God.

The message of Jesus was basically the same as the message of other prophets of God. He was sent to invite people to the worship of One God, to do the righteous deed and be kind and loving to others. He reminded his people to pay attention not only to the letter of the laws but also to the spirit of the laws.

The Qur'an says that Jesus was mistreated, denied and rejected by his people just as other prophets were also mistreated. Some of his contemporaries opposed him and tried to crucify him. It is also reported in the Christian Bible that Jesus prayed to God to save him from his enemies and remove the "cup of death" from him. ("If thou art willing, remove this cup from me; nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done." Mark 14:36 and Luke 22:42) God accepted Jesus' prayer and saved him from crucifixion or death on the cross. He was lifted up to heaven (Al-Nisa': 157-158 ). Jesus is yet to fulfill his Messianic role. Muslims believe that Jesus will come back to earth before the end of time and will restore peace and order, struggle against the Anti-Christ (Dajjal) or demonic forces, and bring victory for truth and righteousness. The true followers of Jesus will prevail over those who deny him, misrepresent him and reject him.

Muslims and Christians differ in their Theology (views about God) and their Christology (views about Christ), but they both believe in the same God and in the same Jesus. There should be better understanding and better relations among them.
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 4:53 PM
is Jesus the son Of God in islam? no.
here is a quote from :
Dr. Muhammad M. Abu Laylah, professor of the Islamic Studies & Comparative Religions at Al-Azhar University answers:

With regard to Jesus, we Muslims believe that He is the son of Mary but not the Son of God. He was conceived and born miraculously. In his cradle, he talked to people who accused his mother of fornication and testified that his mother was absolutely pure. He is not a Son of God in any sense and he no other being fathered him. He is a spirit from Allah and a word from Him that came to Mary, and he was directly created by the power of this word. He is a spirit from Allah in the sense that, unlike other humans, his spirit was given to Mary before his body. That is why Allah calls him a spirit from Him.

Allah (GOD) cannot (does not) take a shape or any form of substance; nothing in His creation is similar to Him. He is above time and space, shape or physical qualities. If we say that Jesus was the Son of God, we would do something totally against our mind and reasoning and we would totally ignore the very nature of God. God has not got a wife or any carnal and intimate relationship with any of His creation, nor any kind of physical touch. To say Jesus is the Son of God is to say that Mary was the wife of God and no one accepts this. Since no one accepts this, it is against our reasoning and intellectual persuasive.

If Jesus was created without a father, this does not mean that God is his father, simply because of the difference in nature between Jesus and God. Jesus was born in time and in a certain place; he grew up from babyhood to adolescence to maturity. He died in his middle age. The description of Jesus we have in the four Gospels and in the New Testament is a description of a man, not of God. Jesus cried, felt tired, suffered and became fatigued. Like all humans, he sought rest and comfort. He felt hungry and searched for food and even got angry because of his hunger, as in the Gospel when he went to the fig tree to find some fruit to eat and when he did not find any, he hit the tree and cursed it. Jesus once felt very tired and some ladies came and massaged him and anointed his feet with perfume. He felt fresh and satisfied as any human. He suffered sickness and even when, according to the Gospel, he was taken by the Roman soldiers to the cross, he was totally unable to carry his own cross. When he was hanged, he cried loudly: "My God! My God! Why have You have forsaken me!" He did not say, "My father."

Again, according to the Gospel, before he was taken to the cross, he prayed to God to save him from this plight. But finally he surrendered himself to the will of God. What we are telling is taken from the four Gospels. We ask again why should God beget a son? And why one son only? And why not a daughter as well? And how did God send His Son Jesus to be treated inhumanely and let people mock at him and spit in his face? One may say that he was sent and underwent all of these actions in order to release us from the bondage of the original sin committed by Adam and to take our sin away and to reconcile ourselves to our Creator. Unfortunately, there is no direct statement by Jesus himself that he came to fulfill this mission. He was very clear to tell people that God is my God and yours. He used to pray to God and ask Him for support and comfort. He never said, "I am God" or "I am the Son of God." Rather, he was called several times in the Gospels "a prophet" and " mighty prophet". He was also called "the servant of God" like Prophet Muhammad after him. People used to shout,"Here a prophet has risen among us" and repeated this phrase whenever Jesus performed a miracle in front of people.

In the Gospel, he is also called the son of man. "Man" here could be a reference to Mary or Mary's father, as an indication to trace Jesus' genealogy to his mother since he has no father. The Christian theologians understand very well that it is beyond reason to prove the that Jesus is a Son of God or that Jesus is divine; but it is very easy and straightforward to prove the manhood and the prophethood of this great Messenger of God.

We hope we do not offend anyone. We are in an age of discovering facts and exchanging views and experiences with full respect to everyone's human dignity."
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 5:00 PM
And finally this article was added by our dear sister Mishmish ( AKA nuttybiscotti) ..
again we mean no disrespect.. just offering our faith's stand on Jesus Christ peace and blessings be upon him and his virgin mother.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005
Muslims Don't Got Jesus?
by Hesham A. Hassaballa

In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

recently came across the blog of Dean Esmay, who had a blog post that said this:

"I have Christian friends who often wish to assure me that the primary problem with the Islamic world is that because Muslims don't have Christ, well, theirs is a false faith and thus, when you get right down to it, if it's not satanic it's at least fundamentally flawed. This, somehow, explains why they're terrorists."[/i]

This is very interesting, and it is not the first time I have heard people say something similar. I remember watching the Rev. Pat Robertson speak at the National Press Club, and he said - if my memory serves me correctly - that there is a great spiritual hunger in the Muslim World to know about Jesus Christ. This perplexes me, because, we Muslims know a lot about Jesus Christ.

Take this story:

The young woman was standing, as she was wont to do, in an eastern section of the temple in solemn and sincere prayer to God. Suddenly, the angels spoke to her and said, "O Mary, God has chosen you and purified you, and he has chosen you over all women of all peoples. Mary, obey your Lord devoutly, worship, and bow in prayer with those bowing in prayer." Then, the angel of Revelation appeared to her in her prayer niche in the form of a man.

She was startled and said to the spirit: "I take refuge from you with the Benevolent One, if you are conscientious."

He then said, seeking to allay her fears, "I am only a messenger from your Lord, to give you a sinless son."

"How shall I have a son," she said taken aback by this news, "when no man has touched me, and I have not been unchaste?"

He replied, "It will be so. Your Lord says, `It is easy for me; and We intend to make him a sign for humankind, and a mercy from us. So the matter is decided.'"

This story was not taken from my copy of the Holy Bible. I pieced this story from the Holy Qur'an, from verses 3:42-47 and 19:16-21. In addition, the story of the birth of the Virgin Mary (3:35-37) and John the Baptist (3:38-41, 19:1-15) are also recounted in the Qur'an. Jesus Christ (peace be upon him) is all over the Qur'an.

The story of his birth is told twice in the Qur'an (3:42-47 and 19:16-33). In addition to the story of the birth, the Koran recounts how Jesus spoke in his infancy (3:46 and 19:29-33), healed the blind, those stricken with leprosy, and raised the dead back to life (5:110). The Qur'an even mentions that Jesus used to fashion birds out of clay and breathe life into them, all by the permission of God Almighty (3:49). In addition, the Qur'an recounts the story of what seems to be the Last Supper (5:112-116). All in all, the Qur'an mentions Jesus by name more than 25 times. In contrast, the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is mentioned by name only four times in the entire Qur'an.

The Qur'an describes Jesus as being "honored in the world and the hereafter, and one of the intimates of God" (3:45) and "in the ranks of the righteous" (6:85). He is also described as "a word, from God, which God sent down to Mary, [and] a spirit from him" (4:171) and that Jesus was "strengthened with the Holy Spirit" (2:253, 5:110). Classical commentators have interpreted the "Holy Spirit" to mean either divine inspiration or the Angel Gabriel. Yet, with all this, Muslims still do not believe Jesus to be divine: "People of Scripture [i.e., Christians], do not go into excess in your religion, and do not say anything about God but the truth. The Messiah Jesus, the Son of Mary, was only a messenger ..." (4:171)

Islam also rejects the notion of a triune deity: "... So believe in God and God's messengers. And do not speak of a trinity; it is best for you to refrain. God is one sole divinity, too transcendent to have a son, in possession of all in the heavens and on earth. And God is a good enough patron" (4:171). Muslims also do not believe it was Jesus who was on the cross. Rather, Jesus was saved by God before the Romans could arrest him: "... They did not kill him, they did not crucify him, although it was made to seem thus to them ...They surely did not kill him: rather God raised him up to the Divine Presence; and God is almighty, most wise" (4:157-158 ).

Yet, Muslims do not revere Jesus Christ (pbuh) alone, but they also highly revere and respect the Virgin Mary. She is the best woman, according to the Qur'an and the Prophet Muhammad, ever to walk the face of the Earth. She is the only woman mentioned by name in the Qur'an, and the 19th chapter is named after her. The Virgin is described as "a woman of truth" (5:75), and God set the Virgin Mary as an example for the ideal believer: "And God sets forth, as an example to those who believe ... Mary the daughter of Imran, who guarded her chastity" (66:11-12). The Blessed Virgin, just like her son, is accorded no divinity according to Islam.

So, we Muslims have plenty of Jesus Christ (pbuh); we know a great deal about Jesus Christ (pbuh). Although we don't worship him, this does not mean that we love him any less. Belief in and love for Jesus Christ (pbuh), along with all of God's prophets, is absolutely necessary for one to be considered a Muslim. In addition, the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) are full of references to Jesus, and Islamic literature is also full of sayings attributed to Jesus Christ. In fact, salvation for Muslims necessarily includes belief in Jesus Christ. The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) once said, "If anyone testifies that none has the right to be worshiped but God alone, who has no partners, and that Muhammad is his slave and his apostle, and that Jesus is God's slave and his apostle and his word which he bestowed on Mary and a spirit created by him...God will admit him into Paradise."

No, we Muslims may not celebrate Christmas with our Christian friends and neighbors. No, we Muslims may not decorate our homes with Christmas lights like our Christian friends and neighbors. Yet, that does not mean we do not love, honor, respect, and revere Jesus Christ (pbuh). No devout Muslim would ever fathom attacking or maligning the character of Jesus Christ (pbuh), as some self-described devout Christians have brutally attacked the character of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

So, perhaps you can see why I always scratch my head when some people say "you Muslims don't got Jesus." Quite clearly, we got plenty of Jesus in our religion, and Christ holds a very prominent place in the Islamic belief system. One would think that the common love for Jesus Christ between Muslims and Christians would be a bridge of friendship and mutual understanding between the two faith communities. After all, the Qur'an does say: "...nearest among [the people] in love to the believers will you find those who say, 'We are Christians'..." (5:82).

Sadly, however, this ideal has failed to become reality, and Muslims and Christians have fought each other bitterly at various times throughout human history. Yet, it does not have to be so. There can be a pax Muslimo-Christiana. All it takes is for Muslims and Christians to remember Jesus Christ (pbuh
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 6:34 PM
hello. first and formost I am a christian. i was actually raised cathlic! but christianity is where i felt my heart was growing up i have been to so many different churches and experianced many religions. to me, were all talking about the same god. Things just happened all over the world. there are many great prophets!! I just wanted to say that alot of non-muslim people are ignorant. and i am sorry that the world is so disconnected to eachother. I was about to cry when I read about ppl refering to muslims as terrorist. I felt it. I know many ppl who think like that. its all president bushe's fault. his ignorance. and his ignorance has rubbed off on lots of people.
I hate it when muslim moms see me, and I say hello and try to make there kids laph- i notice the way that they look at me. as if they were unsure if i was ok or not. as if i was gonna disrespect them. I wish I can have a regular friendship with any muslim mom with out society looking at me like I got issues. I want ppl to know that im not one of those stuck up american ppl who dont respect other ppl's thoughts and beliefs. I am embarrased by all the disrespect people give toward being muslim. ironically, i am intrested in the quran( i spelled it wrong), that doesnt mean im switching religions. Thats just teaching me about another important prophet! and there are alot of things that muslims do that other religions should do.
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 9:38 PM
wa;alaykum asalam rahmatullah wa barakatuh sister proud i will try to come back an reread this post i have a major project i am typing for my husband so i dont have much time to devulge but insh'Allah in a couple days thought i'd pop in.....btw i ordered the book u recommended on the angels and i am expecting it to be delivered tomorrow looking forward to it......sister huney i cant remember your first part of the is nice to see you on this board i hope it is fruitful for you and US muslim moms here WONT judge u, Allah is the only judger and Allah requires us to respect others from other religions....its nice to see how kind u are and openminded about muslims....i hope you learn truly about islam in the right way and not from terrorists.....take care
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)