Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

thinking about getting a dog, need some advice...

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 5:44 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 370 Total Views

Asalam alakum and hello to everyone!

well, today my daughter and I were at the pet store, we go there a lot to just look around at the animals and play with them, its one of my daughters favorite places in the world to go.

so, today, one of the workers had a tiny Yorkshire terrier who was the sweetest thing in the world!!! I always grew up having a dog, and had the best time with them. as i grew up, i felt that having that pet enriched my life and gave me better experiences and company as a kid.

Now the time has come where my daughter loves pets, and i know that she would really enjoy having a dog. We have already had a cat before, and even though it was nice, they didn't like to spend time with her and she didn't really get that attached to them because of that.

okay, so, here is the thing. i know that in Islam, you can't have a dog live in the house with you. but i'm not really sure about outside. i know u have to keep them outside if you do have one, but if you have it as just a pet and not a working dog, is that okay??

i will be so heart broken if i can't get a dog for her. But Allah hu alem.

thanks so much,
asalam alakum! :)

by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Islam101
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 7:21 PM
Asalam Alaikum
i thank you for asking us before getting this dog ..

Hadith - Bukhari 3:515, Narrated Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever keeps a dog, one Qirat of the reward of his good deeds is deducted daily, unless the dog is used for guarding a farm or cattle." Abu Huraira (in another narration) said from the Prophet, "unless it is used for guarding sheep or farms, or for hunting." Narrated Abu Hazim from Abu Huraira: The Prophet  said, "A dog for guarding cattle or for hunting."

Angels Don't Enter

Hadith - Bukhari 3:515, Narrated Abu Huraira

I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)."

Hadith - Muslim, Narrated 'Aisha

Gabriel made a promise with Allah's Messenger to come at a definite hour; that hour came but he did not visit him. And there was in his hand (in the hand of Allah's Apostle) a staff. He threw it from his hand and said: Never has Allah or His messengers (angels) ever broken their promise. Then he cast a glance (and by chance) found a puppy under his cot and said: Aisha, when did this dog enter here ? She said: By Allah, I don't know. He then commanded and it was turned out. Then Gabriel came and Allah's Messenger said to him: You promised me and I waited for you, but you did not come, whereupon he said: It was the dog in your house which prevented me (to come), for we (angels) do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture.

A Barking Dog at Night

Hadith - Abu Dawood 5084, Narrated Jabi ibn Abdullah, r.a.

The Prophet said: When you hear the barking of dogs and the braying of asses at night, seek refuge in Allah, for they see which you do not see.

umm_sajidah
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 7:52 PM
asalam alakum.

wow! i didn't know all that! so, your not even allowed to have a dog outside, unless its for cattle or sheep?!!!! masha'allah.

ok, i guess we will just have to visit the little terrier at the pet store when she (or I) get an urge to play with a dog! hahaha.

jazaka la khair

asalam alakum
virginiamama71
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 10:48 PM
Walaykium Salaam

You can keep it outside the home if its for guarding the house.

In Peace
Carrie
practicingislam
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 11:57 PM
wa'alaykum asalam rahmatullah wa barakatuh sister
islam 101 GREAT JOB MASH'ALLAH !!!!!!!   i wanted to add a haddith about prohibition of selling dogs toooo.

Chapter 27 : THE PRICE OF A DOG, THE SWEETS OF A KAHIN, THE EARNINGS OF A PROSTITUTE AND THE SELLING OF A CAT ALL FORBIDDEN
Book 10, Number 3803:

Aba Mas'ud al-Ansari (Allah be pleased with him) reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) forbade the charging of price of the dog, and earnings of a prostitute and sweets offered to a kahin.

Book 10, Number 3804:

A hadith like this is reported on the authority of Abu Mas'ud through another chain of transmitters.

Book 10, Number 3805:

Rafi b. Khadij (Allah be pleased with him) reported: I heard Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) as saying: The worst earning is the earning of a prostitute, the price of a dog and the earning of a cupper.

Book 10, Number 3806:

Rafi b. Khadij reported Allah'& Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: The price of a dog is evil, the earning of a prostitute is evil and the earning of a cupper is evil.

Book 10, Number 3807:

A hadith like this has been narrated on the authority of Rifi' b. Khadlj through another chain of transmitters.

Book 10, Number 3808:

Abu Zubair said: I asked Jabir about the price of a dog and a cat; he said: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) disapproved of that.

insha-in-ok
by on Jun. 21, 2007 at 11:14 AM
Assalaamu alaykum, may Allah bless you for seeking counsel before making such a major decision. When I first converted to Islam, I had the most precious little pomeranian (here's a pic):

He was my world. It was the hardest thing I have EVER had to do but I gave him away. I had read all the hadith about owning a dog & it was very clear to me that it was not a "grey area". I don't understand the reasoning behind it but it's just one of those things.

Peace,
Insha
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)