Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please help me, I have some questions, sisters.

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2008 at 9:54 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 437 Total Views

as salasu alaikum sisters-

I have a question. (maybe a few, i guess)  First, is sunnah following hadiths? 

is it obligatory to follow hadiths? 

Second, if we are suppose to follow (strong) hadiths, why are they not in the Quran?  (some of them may be)

I have reading the quran a lot  and my understanding is that Allah- subhanahu wa ta'ala said that the quran is complete and perefect so I am a little confused about this.  I wonder to myself, if we are to follow them, why would Allah leave them out.  I don't neccesarily think we should not follow them, i am looking for information that you can offer me to help me understand.  Jazak Allahu khairan for your help.

by on Aug. 1, 2008 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
purplecandle
by on Aug. 1, 2008 at 12:31 PM

This how it was explained to me...

"Qu'ran tells us what to do and Hadeeths tell us how to do it"

"Those who patiently persevere in belief and goodness will be brought to the safe shores of divine presence" - Sohaib N. Sultan

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Aug. 1, 2008 at 2:10 PM

assalamu alaikum sister,

this requires a long answer, and time I don't currently have as I have to run out for Juma'a

Allah subhaanahu wa ta'ala says in the Quran ( and I don't know the number of the verse, but when I come back I will have all this properly documented

' what ever the messengers gives to you, take it. and what ever he forbids you from, leave it'

in another verse, Allah subhanahu wa taala says that Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him does not speak of his accord, but everything he says is an inspiration from Allah.

as I said, I will come back with the proper verses and their numbers.. look through the Quran. you will find it full of verses where Allah subhanahu wa taala is ordering us to follow prophet Muhammad's words, actions and example.

and Sunnah is not just hadith. it is all the prophet Muhammad peace be upon him said or did.

yes the Quran is complete. yes, Quran is explained in Hadith. Quran tells us to pray. Hadith tells us how many times and how. Quran tells us to do Haj .. Hadith tells us how.

Quran tells us to do thikr and remembrance of Allah. hadith explains. how, when and what to say...etc.

ok. gotta fly. will come back insha' Allah with something more useful insha' Allah

if I speak in error then it is from me. may Allah forgive me

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Aug. 1, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Assalamu alaikum sister,

here are some of the verses that tell us to follow the way of prophet Muhammda peace be upon him ( ie, his sunnah)

"Nor does he speak of (his own) desire. . It is only a Revelation revealed" [al-Najm 53:3-4]

And We have also sent down unto you (O Muhammad صلىالله عليه وسلم) the Dhikr [reminder and the advice (i.e. the Qur'aan)], that you may explain clearly to men what is sent down to them, and that they may give thought"

[al-Nahl 16:44].

Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): "He who obeys the Messenger has indeed obeyed Allah . . ." [al-Nisaa' 4:80] ( so here you see that obeying Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him is indeed a big part of obedience to Allah Azza wa jal

"O you who believe! Obey Allaah and obey the Messenger . . ." [al-Nisaa' 4:59]

". . . And let those who oppose the Messenger's commandment beware, lest some fitnah (trial, affliction, etc.) befall them or a painful torment be inflicted on them." [al-Nur 24:63]

"O you who believe! Answer Allaah (by obeying Him) and (His) Messenger when he calls you to that which will give you life . . ." [al-Anfaal 8:24]

". . . (And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allaah and His Messenger . . ." [al-Nisaa' 4:59]

""But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you [Muhammad] judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission." [al-Nisaa' 4:65]

and here are a couple of hadiths to remember as well

Al-Tirmidhi reported from Abu Raafi' and others that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "I do not want to see any one of you reclining on his couch and, when he hears of my instructions or prohibitions, saying ‘I don't accept it; we didn't find any such thing in the Book of Allaah.'" Abu ‘Eesaa said: This is a saheeh hasan hadeeth. (See Sunan al-Tirmidhi, Shaakir edition, no. 2663)

.Abu Dawud also reported from al-'Irbaad ibn Saariyah, may Allaah be pleased with him, that "the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) led us in prayer one day, then he turned to us and exhorted us strongly . . . (he said), ‘Pay attention to my sunnah (way) and the way of the Rightly-guided Khaleefahs after me, adhere to it and hold fast to it.'" (Saheeh Abi Dawud, Kitaab al-Sunnah).

There are some people who call them selves Quraniyiin who always claim that Sunnah cannot be trusted because it is the narration of man. what they fail to remember is that Allah subhanahu wa t'aala promised to maintain and protect this religion. and so , there were many many sahaaba and scholars who dedicated their lives to make sure that Hadiths were authentic. yes, there are fabricated Hadiths but alhamdulilaah. by the grace of Allah. there are many many books that expose those hadiths. and there are great books of Sahih hadiths written by people who did the impossible masha' Allah to ensure that they are sahih.

let me first give you this link to a fatwa about those who don't trust sunnah. then

insha' Allah I will try and find some old posts we've had about this.  found  one) or some more

important information about the authenticity of Hadith and Sunnah.

insha' Allah I hope I managed to answer your questions. if I speak in error then it is from me. may Allah forgive me and guide us all to what pleases him . Ameen

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

ezahnsmama
by on Aug. 1, 2008 at 6:42 PM

jazakallahu khairan sisters for your responses.  They are very helpful.  I was hesitant to ask, but I didn't want to be misguided and was feeling confused.  I was hoping someone might be able to help me understand.  i feel more at peace about these questions I had.  alhamdulillah for this group and the information that i have received from it.  Allahu akbar

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)