Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay, you got me..what is a Salafi

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 12:13 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 217 Total Views
For the past two weeks I have been seeing this word Salafi. We are being invaded ! Just kidding. But, really what is a Salafi? Is it a type of Muslims? Is it a Muslim culture? Are they more or less conservative? What is different or the same about a Salafi? That leads me to another question...are there many different types of Muslim groups? If so what are the differences. I know there are Sunni and Shia are there anymore?
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:42 AM

Peace purple candle here is some information although i cant speak much about salafi's i dont know too much about this here is the definition, and below it on the other question subject i posted a haddith about sects...i hope this helps

Salafism (Arabic: سلفي "predecessors" or "early generations"), is a generic term, depicting a Sunni Islamic school of thought that takes the pious ancestors (Salaf) of the patristic period of early Islam as exemplary models[1]. Salafis view the first three generations of Muslims, who are Muhammad's companions, and the two succeeding generations after them, the Tabi‘in and the Taba‘ at-Tabi‘in, as examples of how Islam should be practiced. This principle is derived from the following hadith by Muhammad:

“The people of my generation are the best, then those who follow them, and then whose who follow the latter (i.e. the first three generations of Muslims).[2]

Perhaps the principal tenet of Salafism is that Islam was perfect and complete during the days of Muhammad and his companions, but that undesirable innovations have been added over the later centuries due to materialist and cultural influences. Salafism seeks to revive a practice of Islam that more closely resembles the religion during the time of Muhammad. [3] Salafism has also been described as a simplified version of Islam, in which adherents follow a few commands and practices.[4]

Salafism is often used interchangeably with "Wahhabism." Adherents usually reject this term either because it is considered derogatory and/or because they consider Salafism a broader movement whose members are not necessarily Wahhabi. [5]

source :

On another point regarding sects shia kurds, etc........ There are no such thing in islam of sects it is actually a sin to sect oneself we are all muslim unfortunately satan has convinced many muslims that they are different or that others are wrong or so on.......sects are nothing but a person taking Islam in this instance and twisting and turning until it is tweaked to suit their desires, when getting islam you have to go the the main source the Quran and the Sunnah (Haddiths)   here is a haddith (sayings of the prophet Mohammad revealed through Gabriel from Allah) The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “My nation will experience everything that the Children of Israel had experienced, following in their footsteps exactly, so much so that if one of them had approached his mother publicly for sex, one of my nation will do the same. The Children of Israel divided into 72 sects. My nation will divide into 73 sects, and all of them will be in the Hellfire save one.” The people asked him: “And which one will that be? He replied: “The one that follows what I and my Companions are upon right now.” And in a different narration, he said about that group: “It is the group/mainstream; Allah’s hand is with the group.”

sahih Muslim   source:

by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 10:26 AM
Salafi  is the first three generations of Muslims.  They are the closets to what was revealed 1400 years ago. 

Prophet Mohammad (SAW)
His companions at the time( like his wives, and the people who believed him and accepted islam in the early stages)
and then those people who followed the companions and studied islam from them. 
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:21 PM
Thanks Ladies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)