Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you change the world?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 8:20 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 240 Total Views
I wanted to reply to an earlier post, that has now been "locked", but didn't have the time.  Thought I would quickly dash this out before going to work this morning.

Quick background:  I am a Christian, but have made some wonderful friends on this board and have enjoyed learning about your religion.  I have always thought so favorable of the patience you gals have in responding to questions and appreciate the opportunity to learn....it has really changed my viewpoint.

Now, to the young lady that posted earlier, I would like to relay some wise words from my father.  As a young girl (19, 20), I thought that my parents (who are great Christian people) should be out doing more to "save the world."  I was extremely idealistic, and just remember coming to them and saying; "Why aren't we doing more, if we are Christians, to feed the hungry in Africa, etc....?"  They seemed pretty comfortable in their middle class lives and I just wondered, if they believed so strongly in their religion, why they were not missionaries or something.

With great patience, my father explained to me that not everyone is called to be Mother Teresa, and not every one will have the opportunity to be a leader within their religion, for that it not the "calling" (from God) for everyone.  He told me that the best a man could sometimes hope for was to influence his family, friends, and co-workers.  That the way you lived your life was the testimony of your religious beliefs, and that you could not "save the whole world" but just be a positive force within the limited scope of your contact with others.

As I get older, I am drawn back to the wisdom of his words and see how my father practiced/lived his religion everyday and the profound impact it has had on my life.  I can't change the world's perception of Christianity....but what I can do, is live my life, to the best of my abilities, to the standards of my beliefs (which means, to me, to live an honest life, to be kind, to care, to preform charitable acts whenever possible, to be moral, etc....).  I can't influence the world, but I do have an impact on my children, my family, my neighbors, my friends, and my co-workers.

I think often of the quite ways my parents live their religion and the way they conduct themselves in accordance to their beliefs.  I can assure you, that at the time of their deaths (no time soon, I hope), there will only be good remembered by others of my parents.  There will be many deeds spoken of, or brought to light, of the good things my parents have done for others.  For myself, I know I learned to by honest and fair in my dealings with others (I can't tell you how many times I have seen my parents do simple things like return change to a cashier that had given them too much money back), to be kind to those in need, to put my family before myself, etc....I think many people will have a positive feeling of Christianity because of my parents.

You can't change the world, but you can change your own little world.  Live your life to the best of your ability, following your religion, and you will have an impact--on those within your own little world.  This is what you can do to respond to the negative opinions of others about your religion.  It is not a giant step, but it is what you can do.

I think this board is a wonderful place to educate others about your religion and a great way to show a side of it that disproves the negative imagine in the media and hearts of people.

Hope some of these thoughts help.  I am not trying to keep you from being idealistic, or for reaching a great goal, but trying to tell you, that even a simple, common life can change a bit of the world.  It doesn't require "grand efforts."

Pam
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Aasiyah
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 10:52 AM
This is a very inspirational and encouraging post even if is from a christian( just kidding )  .  Really this is one of the greatest things i've heard a chrisitan say. I myself converted to Islam. I used to be a so called christian.. (which means i identified myself as a christian but wasn't living it...

I wanted to say something because as i read your post i could just think of something i read in Islam.

Allah sent us all into this world as Muslims( as creatures who submit to God) it is our familys which differ in religion based on ignorance, (lack of knowledge) following thier parents and or following the whispers of satan and our tempting desires.  Now with that saidl

I believe your parents submit to the will of God in many ways because it's the natural thing to do and so it shows in thier actions even if thier beliefs are not quite Islamic (fully submitting to God , the creator by recognizing him as the one and only God for which no one esle compares).

The prophet told us that no one truly believes until they want for their brother what they want for them selves.

So i will say this.. and please don't take offense because its done with the best possible intent based on the beliefs of my truths.. May Allah Guide you and your Family to Islam (Submitting yourselfs to God fully in speach, action, intent, knowledge, understanding and belief! 
kimsarr
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 6:01 PM

Salam Alaykoum! I do not see my self as idealistic but frustrated... When I married a Muslim I lost most of my famly and ALL of my friends.... Lator I became a Muslim and my father spends alot of his time picking on me and bashing all that I belave in... My mother is embaresed to have people see her with me in my hijab she does not want people to know that her child is a Muslim... My dad tells me I look like a bank rober when I put on my nacobb.... I want peace and tolrence at home here in TX...
Aasiyah
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 7:05 PM

Quoting kimsarr:

Salam Alaykoum! I do not see my self as idealistic but frustrated... When I married a Muslim I lost most of my famly and ALL of my friends.... Lator I became a Muslim and my father spends alot of his time picking on me and bashing all that I belave in... My mother is embaresed to have people see her with me in my hijab she does not want people to know that her child is a Muslim... My dad tells me I look like a bank rober when I put on my nacobb.... I want peace and tolrence at home here in TX...

Salam Alaikum Sister Kim,

The frustration is coming from the whispers of Satan. You must do your best to ignore the whispers and your parents actions.  Know that your parents do not understand.  But that if Allah wills that it be through you that they come to understand. Please be patient.  Know that The Prophet endured many many assaults in his lifetime and many of those who assaulted him came to believe in Allah and Islam as Allah willed. You must exhibit patience and Allah will remove this burden from you.  Insha Allah.

Kim it does you no good to pay attention to negativity.  At this time the best thing you can do is be around good muslims.  Read as much as you are able sound books.  There is a book called

Means of standing firm in Islam  that could be helpful to you to help you stand firm in islam. 

The best think yoiu can do for yourself is ask your husband to help you build up your faith. Go spend time in the mosque wiht others and stay calm and let thier comments go in one ear and out the other..

Pray to Allah to make it easy for you and to change thier hearts
kimsarr
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 8:57 PM
Quoting Aasiyah:

Salam Alaykoum! My husband is not an active Muslim and has walked away from the marrage prior to me becomming a Muslim.... I live with my Mom and Dad for now... I chose not to tell him that I am a Muslim how ever the Imen told me that he told him but he has sed nothing to me about it... All alone in my faith no one but Allah...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)