Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Midwife or whatever Hospital Dr happens to be on call...

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 2:20 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 295 Total Views
As Salamu Alaikum Sisters and Friends

I'm trying to find a midwife in my area that accepts my insurance but I cannot find one.  MY family is insisting that I should have my baby in the hospital. However most OB doctors are males.. .  I'm not sure how it's going to turn out.  I never had a problem before with ob/gyn being men however now im muslim and my modesty has grown so much.. Im not sure i can have a man deliever my baby... any thoughts on this ladies???
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kimsarr
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 5:34 PM
I had a woman OB but Omar came too soon and was dilivered by a RN on her first day at her first OB job... When it comes to beeing modest I do not think Doctors count... but that is just me...

Salam Alaykoum!
bfssmom Group Admin
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 8:16 PM
Three of my children were delivered by a man and one by a woman doctor.  I really like the woman the best she was more understanding ..
mrscoty
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 8:49 PM
I dont believe there should be a preference as long as they know what they are doing and your child is tooken care of.
purplecandle
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 10:45 PM
I am not a Muslim but I am soooo modest. I just can't stand the thought of....well I cannot even say it. I have had three babies the first was fast and natural delivered by a female nurse, the next was emergency c-section delivered my a female staff and the last was a planned c-section. My doc was male and he was very good, but I still did not like the idea of it. The night before the surgery I ran away from home. My husband is very smart so within 30 minutes he had found me. He asked me what was wrong and I told him that I did not want to be put to sleep naked on a table with a bunch of men. My husband said, "I will be there and everything will be okay". So, I was okay with that. But, if your husband cannot be there you could ask God to be there with you and make you not afraid. I did that too, I wanted God and my husband there! God created male doctors for the same reasons he created female doctors-to heal and bring life into the world. So, if you cannot find a midwife or a female doctor it will all be okay in the end. No matter what happens you still get to go home with a new blessing. Good luck :)
samiyah2
by on Jul. 17, 2007 at 1:45 AM
just try your hardest to get a female doc. or whatever and if it doesn't work out then masha'Allah its ok, and when your in labor you probably won't care who is taking the baby out as long as its out. i know thats how i felt both times around. -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- JUST ANOTHER DAY IN THE DUNYA -MF DOOM
artistapril
by on Jul. 17, 2007 at 9:56 AM
I do not know what insurance you have but I know with my insurance, I can go on their website to find doctors in my area. That could be a good place to start and look for a female doctor. Also, when you find one, you can make some calls to see if they have female midwives with them.
In my doctors office, they have both male and female doctors as well as midwives that work with them.
Also you can probably check with your local hospital. A lot of times they have a list of midwives that work with them.

But I think a good place to start is to talk to your insurance. If they do not have them listed on their website, you can call them.

Also, you can have a midwife and still have your baby in the hospital. Midwifes work with you on whatever you feel most comfortable with.

I hope you can find what you are looking for.

April
brandie05
by on Jul. 17, 2007 at 1:35 PM
I am not Muslim but my DH is.  We chose a midwife at a clinic that would work with us without insurance.  On the first visit we both went to meet her and she explained that she use to deliver but since starting that clinic she no longer does, but the hospital we were to deliver at had only male dr's and if that was a problem we could figure something out (she knew DH was Muslim).  He said no problem, it's for medical attention.  And really when it came down to it the delivery nurse - female- was doing most the work- except to pop the water and the actual delivery.  The Dr was in there a total of maybe 20 minutes.  I was told they are mostly there in case something happens and for liability reasons.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)