Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is there benefit in:

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:01 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 212 Total Views
debating with people who are not knowledgable?  Does it increase your iman?  Does it help you reach your daily goals of worship?  Will it get you to Janna

I've been sitting back and reading some posts which have been debating one issue or another regarding muslims and I really haven't come out of it learning anything other than people misunderstand Islam. Don' t want to understand islam.  they blame Islam for man's faults and they downright say things that are not true, mean and ulgy What really bugs me about it is that they have some knowledge about islam but they twist it all up and take it out of context. and they really aren't debating to gain more knowledge it's just done to add more confusion.

So im going to ask the muslim....

Is the one who does not know better than the one who knows?

Can the blind lead those who are not blind?

I know we want to give Dawah and give people the keys to the path but debating with them.. (and im refraining from using any names) is not in our best interest. 

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
practicingislam
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 12:28 AM
wa'alaykum asalam rahmatullah wa barakatuh if you are doing it for the sake of Allah giving dawa (knowledge) then there are benefits for you and we are obligated to lead others on the right path.........i agree sometimes it seems hopeless but remember the Prophet Mohammad SAAWS all the many misguided that were near him during his time of receiving guidance from Allah and the Qur'an we have to remember he did not give up on us, so we cannot give up on others its our duty to keep trying .........you never know when you will be a good example to a non muslim or a muslim (that is struggling) and we representing with facts to the non muslims in the best way of course there are many blessings and you never know that something one did could change a non believers mind or Allah made something click in them. that is how many kafrs that Allah bestows his mercy on come to islam by Allahs mercy and something that clicked (im not saying always but most stories i hear) .........
bestmomof4
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 12:38 AM
Salamu alaikum Aasiyah

Insha-Allah we are to take what we know and explain and teach others. Explaining Islam or Dawah to non-muslims or giving understanding to a fellow muslim is a part of worship and you will be rewarded accordingly Insha-Allah. Part of our duty as a muslim is to convey the message of Islam and enjoin the good while forbidding the evil by the best of our ability. Some people will not receive or accept the message. This has been shown throughout history with all of the Prophets(saws). Some people have a seal placed over their hearts. No matter how much you explain they will not listen.

Sister those are the people you just have to say at least I told them the truth and I have done my part. The blind can't lead no one because they cannot see past the darkness. The one who knows and does something about it is better. Not everyone can claim ignorance. Insha-Allah, I hope this helped some.

Wa salams
Ayesha
graceandlilly
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 3:37 AM

What we do and/or say to others is up to us.  How they react/respond is their decision.  May God help us all make the right choices.

Aasiyah
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 10:02 AM
giving Dawah is incumbant upon a person having sound knowledge.  I know alot about Islam however, i do not consider myself to be a person of knowledge. I am so ignorant about so many things.  It's my belief that one needs extensive knowledge in order to give dawah in a proper way with proper understanding.  And to gain that knowledge one must go to the land of the muslims and study at the univesity under scholars who studies under othr scholars who studied from those who were rightly guided.

and i'm not talking about studying from just anybody. I'm talking about studying from those who we know to be on the Quran and theSunnah and who Allah has bestowed sound knowledge.

i have said this before... the Prophet (SAW) spent 13 years calling people to Islam.. To tawheed, to the Oneness of Allah.  There was wisdom in this.  It opened the hearts of people before it introduced moral code, and behavioral codes. 

The most important part of giving Dawah is calling to the Oneness of Allah.  To try to dispell the beliefs of non believers about muslims being terrorist, or abusers or marry 50 women or beat their wifes or the wifes are slaves and all of that does not do anything for thier heart because it does not call to the oneness of Allah. 

If you want to give Dawah, one must know the conditions of giving dawah.  Because that is what will make you successful Insha Allah.

All messengers initiated thier call to Allah with teaching the Islamic creed; They never taught anything before it.  Almighty Allay Says: 

"And we certainly sent into every nation a messenger saying "worship Allah aand avoid taghut"  AN-nAHL 36

Each messenger told it's people Worship Allah, you have no other deity other than him. 

when the Prophet (SAW) sent out preachers to other areas he would order them to start dawah with teaching the people the sound CREED. 

Ibn Abbas narrarated that when Allah's Messenger (SAW) sent Mu'adh to Yemen he (SAW) said to him: 

You are going to a people of the scripture so let the first thing to which you invite them is to testify that there is no other diety but  Allah (in another narration : “ to believe in the oneness of Allah.  )  if they obey you to do so, then tell them that Allah has enjoined upon them 5 prayers in every day and  night .  If they obey you to do so, then tell them that allah has made it obligatory for them to pay the Zakat from their property and it is to be taken from the wealthy amongh them and given to the poor.  If they obey you to do so, then avoid taking the best of their properties and be afraid of the curse of an oppressed person, for there is no screen between his invocation and Allah  (Albukhari and Muslim) 

So giving dawah has a methodology.  First call to Tawheed !

purplecandle
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 10:40 AM
You do not give yourself enough credit..I think you have plenty of learnings! But, it is nice to be a little humble ;)
And this is just my opinion but scholars do not always know more than common folk. Sure they had the benefit of education, but sometimes with some subjects real life experience is better..if you know what I mean!
Quoting Aasiyah:

giving Dawah is incumbant upon a person having sound knowledge.  I know alot about Islam however, i do not consider myself to be a person of knowledge. I am so ignorant about so many things.  It's my belief that one needs extensive knowledge in order to give dawah in a proper way with proper understanding.  And to gain that knowledge one must go to the land of the muslims and study at the univesity under scholars who studies under othr scholars who studied from those who were rightly guided.

and i'm not talking about studying from just anybody. I'm talking about studying from those who we know to be on the Quran and theSunnah and who Allah has bestowed sound knowledge.

i have said this before... the Prophet (SAW) spent 13 years calling people to Islam.. To tawheed, to the Oneness of Allah.  There was wisdom in this.  It opened the hearts of people before it introduced moral code, and behavioral codes. 

The most important part of giving Dawah is calling to the Oneness of Allah.  To try to dispell the beliefs of non believers about muslims being terrorist, or abusers or marry 50 women or beat their wifes or the wifes are slaves and all of that does not do anything for thier heart because it does not call to the oneness of Allah. 

If you want to give Dawah, one must know the conditions of giving dawah.  Because that is what will make you successful Insha Allah.

All messengers initiated thier call to Allah with teaching the Islamic creed; They never taught anything before it.  Almighty Allay Says: 

"And we certainly sent into every nation a messenger saying "worship Allah aand avoid taghut"  AN-nAHL 36

Each messenger told it's people Worship Allah, you have no other deity other than him. 

when the Prophet (SAW) sent out preachers to other areas he would order them to start dawah with teaching the people the sound CREED. 

Ibn Abbas narrarated that when Allah's Messenger (SAW) sent Mu'adh to Yemen he (SAW) said to him: 

You are going to a people of the scripture so let the first thing to which you invite them is to testify that there is no other diety but  Allah (in another narration : “ to believe in the oneness of Allah.  )  if they obey you to do so, then tell them that Allah has enjoined upon them 5 prayers in every day and  night .  If they obey you to do so, then tell them that allah has made it obligatory for them to pay the Zakat from their property and it is to be taken from the wealthy amongh them and given to the poor.  If they obey you to do so, then avoid taking the best of their properties and be afraid of the curse of an oppressed person, for there is no screen between his invocation and Allah  (Albukhari and Muslim) 

So giving dawah has a methodology.  First call to Tawheed !

virginiamama71
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 1:18 PM

Sometimes there is benefit in debating, depends on what the debate is about and it can help people to increase their faith, if that was their intention when going into the debate. Debating can led people to research and learn their religion more, even help them to learn how to talk with others when it comes to religion.

I do not believe anyone is better than another....only Allah knows more than we will ever know. All of us are just trying to figure it out the best way we know, thru the ones we feel have taught us the best way they know.

Sometimes the blind can see, they just do not want to accept what they see or they may have been where someone else wants to go, but they for some reason feel they do not want to be there anymore.....so maybe they could point someone towards what they see, and the one who can see, who just needed alitle more direction, can go further down the path closer to the light of knowledge...one day the blind may accept what they see...especially when it comes alot clearer for them.

As for will any of this get me to the heaven.....I hope everyday I will be welcomed there

bfssmom Group Admin
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 3:40 PM
  I am the type of person that just cannot sit back while some idiots discuss my religion and say such hateful things.  This is the point I will step in .  I will not let falsehoods be put out there.

Aasiyah
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 6:00 PM
Falsehood is why they are mushrik, fasiqun, Kafir.. etc... LOL LOL LOL.  we don't need to debate that! 

Honestly though for me to waste my time with non sense i'd rather be here trying to read useful information.

what i love about being here is that it makes me go and read more, find out more.  it opens my appetite to Allah's religion.  it makes me reflect deeper about Islam.

Even when we are at odds it makes us grow because we are truly trying to understand, learn more so that we can worship better.  We are not at odds because we disbeleive we are at odds because we misunderstand, or don't know..but we all know that Allah is one God and that he is in control of everything including what they say and do. 

When i read what those people say, all i can do is Say, Oh Allah Knower of Everything you are the Protector of the Religion, do not let this affect me or my Iman. And i turn away unfazed knowing that the victory belongs to Allah and those who believe.

I used to be really defensive about Islam when i first reverted.. but then i came  to understand that Allah is the changer of hearts. That Allah has ordained some to believe and some to disbelieve.

Now it's good to try to make a person who is geninuiely open to understanding Islam learn. But to spend time on idiots...well i'm not so sure about that.  I'm not saying  they are idiot because they don't believe because i was one who didn' t believe at one point till Allah raised me and guided me to Islam through examples.. what i'm saying is they are idiots because they can't have discussions without the name calling  (heehehe which is what i just did) shruggig my shoulders.. without say things about Allah which they know not... and about having little respect for the belief in one God. and without making up things. 

but Allah has told us that what we see is bad but what's in thier hearts is far worse!

When ever we have the need to defend Islam to Jerks.. we should think of a way to turn it around for the muslim to benefit from it... hadiths with explanations, Quran Ayats with commentaries are good ways of making it beneficial to the muslim heart.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)