Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions? **Edited**

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:35 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 503 Total Views

What exactly is the Sunnah? In christianity a child is considered a bastard born out of wedlock. What is Islam's position on children born out of wedlock? What is the legal meat market and where is it? 
Is it true that if a non Muslim person curses Allah's name you must defend him with your life?

Boy, when it rains it pours!!!!

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aasiyah
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Hello Thank you for your questions.

What exactly is the Sunnah?
the Sunnah is the practices of daily life of the Prophet.  Allah revealed to the Prophet the Quran and how to live his life by example.  We know of his Sunnah through narrations of his life from his wives and pious companions. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunnah

In christianity a child is considered a b------ born out of wedlock. What is Islam's position on children born out of wedlock.
Below are some articles regarding this question.

http://www.islamtoday.com/show_detail_section.cfm?q_id=853&main_cat_id=3

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543616

What is the legal meat market and where is it?

The legal meat market is a meat market that provides meat that was slaughtered int he prescribed way while mentioning Allahs name. This is called Halal Meat Market.  Where you can find them depends on where you live.  

here is a little article to read on Halal meat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal_Meat

I hope this is useful information.

You will notice that i blotted out a word from your question regarding children... this is because as muslims we are forbidden from using profanity of any source.  It is not intended to offend anyone but to educate.  

kalanel5
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 7:13 PM
I  thank  you for replying and giving me the information. I took no offense and I now understand not to use profanity.
Aasiyah
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 8:08 AM
hello... I was wondering did you find the informatin useful?
kalanel5
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 3:17 PM
it was very helpful. Thank you.
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Aug. 2, 2007 at 9:57 AM

greetings Kalanel5, and thank you for coming to us with your questions.
thank you sister Aasiyah for your insightful answers..

if I may add a couple of things though,

in Islam we follow the two major sources for Sharia, ( jurisprudence) ....... they are the Quran and the Sunnah. the Quran is the literal word of Allah ( God ) as revealed to prophet Muhammad peace be upon him via the holy Ghost Jibreel ( Gabriel) peace be upon him. The Quran was documented as it was being revealed so that there will be no room for changing it or misinterpreting it.

Sunnah is what has been reported that the prophet Muhammad peace be upon said or did.. we also believe that every thing he said or did was a revelation and inspiration from Allah as well. as Allah says in the Quran " in huwa illa wahyun yooha"  ( I will come back to you with the number of the verse, I put it on here from memory -sorry) it means that every thing that comes from the prophet is also an inspiration from Allah.

so the Quran tells us that we should pray, Hadith and sunnah show us how and when. The Quran tells us to make Hajj, Sunnah tells us how. this does not mean that the Quran is not complete. it is complete. but one has to remember that the Quran was revealed in the life of the prophet and to the prophet and it helps Muslims understand the Quran better when they study sunnah and the life of the prophet as well.

Allah ( God) the almighty ordered Muslims to follow the example and teachings of prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. in so many different verses in the Quran.  and this is why Muslims follow Quran and Sunnah. any one that denies Sunnah is not a true Muslim.. I am sorry if this offends any of our Qurany sisters ( if we have any on this site) but the orders of Allah are clear on this.
granted, there are some weak Hadiths. but there are great men that wasted their lives traveling for years in the deserts from a country to another to verify hadith. and Allah the exalted promised to keep this Islam intact.

till this day,. there are people who fabricate hadiths, and try to fabricate Quran even. but with the blessings of Allah we have excellent resources and references  that can show us such fabrications to be false. the first is the Holy Quran , and the second are the Saheeh books of hadith : like those of Muslim, Bukhari, Maalik..etc.

hope that sheds a bit more light on the matter for you.

and in answer to your final question., yes, taking the name of God ( Allah) in vain is a major sin in Islam.
All Muslims are ordered to live their lives according to the code of  ( al- Amr bilma'roof wa annahi 'an al-monkar) which means : ordering and encouraging what is good and righteous and preventing or stopping  anything that is bad or evil.
and this applies to everything in life. from removing trash off the road, to ending oppression of the weak...etc.

thank you again . hope to hear from you again.
ok ladies, gotta head out now.
I leave you in the trusted care of Allah.
 love and salaam

Aasiyah
by on Aug. 2, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Quoting proud2bmom3:

greetings Kalanel5, and thank you for coming to us with your questions.
thank you sister Aasiyah for your insightful answers..

if I may add a couple of things though,

in Islam we follow the two major sources for Sharia, ( jurisprudence) ....... they are the Quran and the Sunnah. the Quran is the literal word of Allah ( God ) as revealed to prophet Muhammad peace be upon him via the holy Ghost Jibreel ( Gabriel) peace be upon him. The Quran was documented as it was being revealed so that there will be no room for changing it or misinterpreting it.

Sunnah is what has been reported that the prophet Muhammad peace be upon said or did.. we also believe that every thing he said or did was a revelation and inspiration from Allah as well. as Allah says in the Quran " in huwa illa wahyun yooha"  ( I will come back to you with the number of the verse, I put it on here from memory -sorry) it means that every thing that comes from the prophet is also an inspiration from Allah.

so the Quran tells us that we should pray, Hadith and sunnah show us how and when. The Quran tells us to make Hajj, Sunnah tells us how. this does not mean that the Quran is not complete. it is complete. but one has to remember that the Quran was revealed in the life of the prophet and to the prophet and it helps Muslims understand the Quran better when they study sunnah and the life of the prophet as well.

Allah ( God) the almighty ordered Muslims to follow the example and teachings of prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. in so many different verses in the Quran.  and this is why Muslims follow Quran and Sunnah. any one that denies Sunnah is not a true Muslim.. I am sorry if this offends any of our Qurany sisters ( if we have any on this site) but the orders of Allah are clear on this.
granted, there are some weak Hadiths. but there are great men that wasted their lives traveling for years in the deserts from a country to another to verify hadith. and Allah the exalted promised to keep this Islam intact.

till this day,. there are people who fabricate hadiths, and try to fabricate Quran even. but with the blessings of Allah we have excellent resources and references  that can show us such fabrications to be false. the first is the Holy Quran , and the second are the Saheeh books of hadith : like those of Muslim, Bukhari, Maalik..etc.

hope that sheds a bit more light on the matter for you.

and in answer to your final question., yes, taking the name of God ( Allah) in vain is a major sin in Islam.
All Muslims are ordered to live their lives according to the code of  ( al- Amr bilma'roof wa annahi 'an al-monkar) which means : ordering and encouraging what is good and righteous and preventing or stopping  anything that is bad or evil.
and this applies to everything in life. from removing trash off the road, to ending oppression of the weak...etc.

thank you again . hope to hear from you again.
ok ladies, gotta head out now.
I leave you in the trusted care of Allah.
 love and salaam

As Salamu Alaikum Sister Proud...

What a thoughtful and Inspirational response. May Allah grant you success in this world and the hereafter. 

samiyah2
by on Aug. 3, 2007 at 2:27 AM
side note: the Quran wasn't documented until the first Caliph was set up out of fear of not remembering or being distorted which was after the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) died. small but important.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- JUST ANOTHER DAY IN THE DUNYA -MF DOOM
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Aug. 3, 2007 at 3:20 AM

Quoting samiyah2:

side note: the Quran wasn't documented until the first Caliph was set up out of fear of not remembering or being distorted which was after the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) died. small but important.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- JUST ANOTHER DAY IN THE DUNYA -MF DOOM

assalaamu alaikum sister. actually , the Quran was only PUT together in the time of Abu Bakr after the battle of Yamama in which a lot of the Qurra' ( memorizers of the Quran) were murdered.
but the fact remains that Quran WAS being documented as it was being revealed. prophet Muhammad peace and blessings be upon him. had many scribes ( "kataba") to document every verse as it was being revealed. plus having the Sahaaba ( companions) memorize the entire Quran as well.
here is a useful article for you to take a look at dear sister. insha' Allah it will be of benefit.,
http://discover.islamway.com/articles.php?article_id=29&lang=1

thank you for your sisterhood and for always looking out for what is best for Islam.

love and Salaam
samiyah2
by on Aug. 3, 2007 at 3:30 AM
i stand corrected. insha'Allah i have a memory as young as yours.

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Aug. 3, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Quoting Gemaecca:

No offense intended Proud2bemom3, but I'm sure there are plenty of Muslims in other denominations that would be outraged to hear you say that. They are just as much Muslim as you are, they just see the teachings of Muhammed slightly differently.

I feel a little weird saying this, but... OneUmmah, remember? Not four. If they're wrong about this, then they're wrong, but they're still Muslim and still a part of your Ummah.

I think it's divisive attitudes like this that fuel the interdenominational warring going on in Iraq and elsewhere. Please don't feed the fire.
Hey Gemaecca, long time no see..
on offense taken my dear. but I'm sorry. the basic article of faith. and how you become a Muslim is by testifying that there is no God but Allah and that Prophet Muhammad is he messenger.
we are to follow the Quran. and Quran tells us to follow what the prophet taught us as well. plain and simple. how other people tend to interpret and change such verses. it is their choice.
I am not saying they are not Muslim. it is not my place.
sadly though. Muslims are not one Ummah. and it is from the signs of the end of times that many denominations will come out . and many will go astray. and the only ones that stay on the right path are those who follow the true teachings of the Quran.. and follow the Sunna of prophet Muhammad.peace and blessings be upon him.
please don't make this out to be more than it is. I am not condemning nor judging any one, I was just commenting on a remark that I saw goes against what I believe in. she is free to take it or leave it. as is every one else in this world,

good to hear from you again. how have you been?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)