Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are Jews really the "worst" in the eyes of Allah?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:38 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 440 Total Views

As Salaamo Alaikum Sisters, I'm hoping you all can clarify something DH & I were discussing and disagreeing on last night.....

I was watching the movie the Pianist, with DH last night and said how sad it made me that people were/are treated that way.  He said "as a human it makes me sad, but Jews deserve that."  I was taken back by what he said.  So we started discussing it and he said that in the Quran, Jews are pointed out as being "the worst" because they killed prophet Issa and that they caused all these wars.  That they are considered the worst kufar (sorry if I spelled wrong).  When I recently read and finished the Quran, that's not what I got from it.  I thought ALL people, except Muslims are kufar. 

I questioned him on why Jews are "people of the book" then.  Why are Muslim men allowed to marry Jewish women then?  He says it's NOT allowed and that he's never heard of it.  He says only Christians are "people of the book"....???? Did I miss something???  I couldn't believe what I was hearing from my own husband!!!

The more we talked about it the more irritated I got with him.   So , my question is, are Jews really the worst in the eyes of Allah?  Did I miss something in the Quran?  Is his thought more cultural than religious?  Can I have some proofs please to discuss with him?  I've been looking a little this morning, but I don't know what's reliable and what's not.  Please help me learn more on this topic.  Thanks

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
firaerty
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Inshallah somoene more knowledgeble will answer you regarding if jews are indeed the worst... as I am not sure.  But I do know that both Christians and Jews are considered people of the book and therefore a muslim man can marry either a Christian or a Jewish woman.  See the Fatwa below from Islam Q&A.

What is the ruling on marrying a Jewish or Christian woman? Are the Jews and Christians of this age regarded as people of the Book or as mushrikeen?.

Praise be to Allaah.  

Marriage to a Jewish or Christian woman is permissible according to the view of the majority of scholars. Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Mughni (7/99):

There is no difference of opinion among the scholars concerning the permissibility of marrying free women of the people of the Book. Among those from whom this view was narrated are ‘Umar, ‘Uthmaan, Talhah, Hudhayfah, Salmaan, Jaabir, and others.

Muslim Converts Speak - Group Admin. 
http://www.cafemom.com/group/muslimconverts

Children with Special Needs - Group Admin.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/hollywoodspecialneeds

slcinva
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Treatment and talk of Jews by Muslims is something that I have a real issue with.  Several weeks ago while my 15 year old was playing soccer at the masjid a Jewish family came around with the director of the Sunday School.  It was a father and two or three of his children.  The director was giving them a tour of the masjid and introducing them to some kids their ages.  They had been invited to come visit in an effort to build bridges with the local Jewish community.  After they left, several of the teenage boys told my son, "Be nice to their face but never trust or befriend them.  The Jews are evil and will always stab you in the back."  My son was very frustrated and felt like the "bridges" were fake if people were only nice as a front to their true feelings.  Obviously these boys were taught this hate by their parents.

I had a very close sister in my home eating with me and my children a few years ago. I saw her as a mentor in a way as I was a new Muslim.  At my dinner table in my home she proceeded to tell my children that Jewish people were never to be truly trusted or befriended.  "Be nice out of courtesy but keep you eye trained on them for they are naturally deceptive and sneaky.  They will hurt, steal and abandon you if given the chance. They run everything in this country and they were the real criminals behind 9/11"

These are just two examples of MANY that I could list and it makes me sick to my stomach that this goes on.  The public conversations that many Muslims have is VERY different than the private conversation when it comes to Jews and it is as Haram as it comes, IMHO.

All of the Jewish people I know are fairly poor, live humble lives, are kind and sincere.  These are quite the opposite of some of the myths I have heard from fellow Muslims which would paint them to be filthy rich, greedy, materialistic, evil and cold hearted.  Remind you of any of the myths about Arab Muslims?  (Filthy rich oil tycoons, greedy, materialistic, evil, cold hearted)

There are Muslims that did awful things a thousand years ago, a hundred years ago, ten years ago and yesterday.  I would hope that the Jewish community does not hold those actions against a group as a whole just as I will never hold actions committed in their community against them as a whole.

I am only referring to those Muslims that this post applies to so please don't take this as a blanket statement.  It's time to build real bridges.

brandie05
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Soooo, what does the Quran say about this topic?  My DH swears up & down that the Quran says they are the worst of all people in the world, BUT that's not at all what I took from reading the entire Quran.  He couldn't give me examples, so I thought I'd ask here for example EITHER WAY.  I'm thinking his way of thinking is purely cultural, NOT Islamic.  Am I wrong?

slcinva
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:30 PM

ok, so to you specific inquiry, in the best of my ability, may Allah forgive me if I am wrong. I am listing three verses that I know of.  I am listing in both English and Arabic because I am not sure of your husbands background.  My husband tends to question anything that I show him in English, he wants to read it in Arabic from the Quran for himself.

I would also add that takfir (the practice of declaring an unbeliever or kafir) is seen as pre-empting the judgement of Allah and is discouraged as a cause of fitna and backbiting. 

الْيَوْمَ أُحِلَّ لَكُمُ الطَّيِّبَاتُ وَطَعَامُ الَّذِينَ أُوتُواْ الْكِتَابَ حِلٌّ لَّكُمْ وَطَعَامُكُمْ حِلُّ لَّهُمْ وَالْمُحْصَنَاتُ مِنَ الْمُؤْمِنَاتِ وَالْمُحْصَنَاتُ مِنَ الَّذِينَ أُوتُواْ الْكِتَابَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ إِذَا آتَيْتُمُوهُنَّ أُجُورَهُنَّ مُحْصِنِينَ غَيْرَ مُسَافِحِينَ وَلاَ مُتَّخِذِي أَخْدَانٍ وَمَن يَكْفُرْ بِالإِيمَانِ فَقَدْ حَبِطَ عَمَلُهُ وَهُوَ فِي الآخِرَةِ مِنَ الْخَاسِرِينَ (

5:5 Today, all the good things of life have been made lawful to you. And the food of those who have been vouchsafed revelation aforetime is lawful to you, [14] and your food is lawful to them. And [lawful to you are], in wedlock, women from among those who believe [in this divine writ], and, in wedlock, women from among those who have been vouchsafed revelation before your time -provided that you give them their dowers, taking them in honest wedlock, not in fornication, nor as secret love-companions. [15] But as for him who rejects belief [in God] - in vain will be all his works: for in the life to come he shall be among the lost. [16]

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ وَالَّذِينَ هَادُواْ وَالنَّصَارَى وَالصَّابِئِينَ مَنْ آمَنَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ وَعَمِلَ صَالِحاً فَلَهُمْ أَجْرُهُمْ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَلاَ خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلاَ هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ (2:62)

2:62 VERILY, those who have attained to faith [in this divine writ], as well as those who follow the Jewish faith, and the Christians, and the Sabians [49] -all who believe in God and the Last Day and do righteous deeds-shall have their reward with their Sustainer; and no fear need they have, and neither shall they grieve. [50]

وَإِنَّ مِنْ أَهْلِ الْكِتَابِ لَمَن يُؤْمِنُ بِاللّهِ وَمَا أُنزِلَ إِلَيْكُمْ وَمَآ أُنزِلَ إِلَيْهِمْ خَاشِعِينَ لِلّهِ لاَ يَشْتَرُونَ بِآيَاتِ اللّهِ ثَمَنًا قَلِيلاً أُوْلَـئِكَ لَهُمْ أَجْرُهُمْ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ إِنَّ اللّهَ سَرِيعُ الْحِسَابِ (3:199)
3:199 And, behold, among the followers of earlier revelation there are indeed such as [truly] believe in God, and in that which has been bestowed from on high upon you as well as in that which has been bestowed upon them. Standing in awe of God, they do not barter away God's messages for a trifling gain. They shall have their reward with their Sustainer - for, behold, God is swift in reckoning!

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:09 AM

assalamu alaikum sister,

you and your husband are both partially right and partially wrong.

the Jews ARE people of the book. we are allowed to marry from them and eat their food. when it comes to how to deal with them they are called people of the book. but when it comes to Aqeedah ( their belief system) they are referred to as Mushrikeen ( kuffaar) in the Quran. in reference to their  giving sons and equals to the One God./ and that is shirk.

Now, if you remember one of the posts we talked about backbitinf of non Muslims. and it referred to a hadith that forbids backbiting people of the book who are living in peace with you. .. you are to treat them with respect and kindness.

HOWEVER,  the notion that your husband mentioned about Jews not being trusted stems from all the stories mentioned about them in Quran and Sunnah, how no matter how many miracles Mousa peace be upon him showed them , they still asked for more, they still worshipped the calf made of gold when Mousa left on his fasting, they still doubted Mousa.. they did kill many of the prophets, they did break the treaties with prophet Muhammad peace be upon  him. ( remember there were three   Jewish tribes living in peace in Madina until one of them tried to kill prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, one of them broke the treaty by allowing the armies of kuffar access to Medina through their fortress after they gave the prophet their word that they would protect that side of Madina, and one of them initiated violence and broke the treaty of peace. they all were kicked out of Medina.. only after they broke the agreement.

The Quran also shows how jews called Allah stingy or cheap, how they gave Allah a son, how they said they were the only ones to enter paradise...etc.

The Quran is full of such stories, showing that they were not to be trusted.  this is not to say that you are to treat those who are living in peace with you any badly. otherwise, if all of them were not to be trusted then how are men allowed to marry Jewish women?

Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him married a Jewish woman. tell that to your husband.Saffiyaah bintu Huyay ibnu Akhtab was the daughter of the Jewish leader Huyay ibnu akhtab...  she then became Muslim...

however the Jews who are with Muslims in a state of War, like in Palestine are a different story, which is logical since they are figting and at war. so where is the trust?

here are some verses hope they help. and I hope I have answered your question..

oh,  are they the worst in Allah's eyes? I have not come across such a verse. would be interested in seeing if your husband can provide that one..

<><<><><><>>><

And they were covered with humiliation and misery, and they drew on themselves the Wrath of Allaah. That was because they used to disbelieve the Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations etc.) of Allaah and killed the Prophetswrongfully. That was because they disobeyed and used to transgress the bounds (in their disobedience to Allaah, i.e. commit crimes and sins)”[al-Baqarah 2:61] 

And they say,None shall enter Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian.’ These are their own desires. Say (O Muhammad), ‘Produce your proof if you are truthful’”[al-Baqarah 2:111] 

·     And among their fabrications is the following: 

“And they (Jews) say, ‘The Fire (i.e. Hell-fire on the Day of Resurrection) shall not touch us but for a few numbered days.’ Say (O Muhammad to them): ‘Have you taken a covenant from Allaah, so that Allaah will not break His Covenant? Or is it that you say of Allaah what you know not?’”[al-Baqarah 2:80] 

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)