Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fasting while pregnant or breastfeeding??

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM
  • 36 Replies
  • 1445 Total Views

I have read/heard many schools of thought on this subject! MY muslim ob/gyn says NO WAY...my husbands family says yes! It is ok!  I do not see how this is ok! If you are pregnant and you become dehydrated you can easily lose the baby...if you are breast feeding and you are not eating or drinking enough you cannot produce enough milk......

So any info for me??

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firaerty
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:30 AM

It depends on you and your pregnancy really.  The scholars agree that if you believe or your doctor believes there are risks involved (for you or the baby) if you fast while pregnant then you should not fast.  However if you have no complications and do not beleive your baby is at any risk then you may fast.  I did not fast during my pregnancy because I was throwing up daily until the very end and vomiting invalidates your fast anyhow.  I did fast while breasfeeding and I didn't get very dehydrated and still have plenty of milk, however if you were to observe that your milk would decrease or you get too dehydrated you are also allowed not to fast while breastfeeding.  However if this is an obligatory fast (Ramadan) you must make it up before the next Ramadan (just like you would with your period).

Muslim Converts Speak - Group Admin. 
http://www.cafemom.com/group/muslimconverts

Children with Special Needs - Group Admin.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/hollywoodspecialneeds

practicingislam
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:49 AM

asalamu alaikum sis blowing kisses

Quoting firaerty:

It depends on you and your pregnancy really.  The scholars agree that if you believe or your doctor believes there are risks involved (for you or the baby) if you fast while pregnant then you should not fast.  However if you have no complications and do not beleive your baby is at any risk then you may fast.  I did not fast during my pregnancy because I was throwing up daily until the very end and vomiting invalidates your fast anyhow.  I did fast while breasfeeding and I didn't get very dehydrated and still have plenty of milk, however if you were to observe that your milk would decrease or you get too dehydrated you are also allowed not to fast while breastfeeding.  However if this is an obligatory fast (Ramadan) you must make it up before the next Ramadan (just like you would with your period).

isra1986
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:18 PM

During pregnancy, I missed the first 17 days of Ramadan becuase I got E-coli and I was on all kinds of meds that were to be taken ever 4 hours and plus, my body was fighting off the infection. I didn't want to chance anything happening to the baby, she was in enough danger from the E-coli infection. But I made them up after Ramadan, before having DD.
And I breastfed through last Ramadan. I am not going to lie and say it was easy, but we did it, lol. And InshAllah, I will still be breastfeding this year and will fast.
You can do, you are not really depriving your body at all, just shifting your water and calorie intake to night time instead of day!

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:51 PM

assalamu alaikum sister,

the scholars agree that if fasting while pregnant causes danger to you or to the chid then you should not fast. I fasted in all my pregnancies. and I too was throwing up all through my pregnancies and even on the delivery table.. stick out tongue mini

I asked my doctor ( who was not Muslim - there were no Muslim doctors where we lived with my first child) I explained fasting. what we do .. and that it is an obligation. the Doctor told me that there is no danger to the baby. because if you eat on Suhoor time and iftar then the baby will take from your body what he needs. but hunger will be painful to you. though not harmful.

I tell you what. only the first day was hard. then I fasted all month up until I had my baby. and I fasted the entire month with my second and third baby.

we have to realize that once a day of Ramadan is gone. there is  nothing you can do to make up for it.  yes, we make up the fasting we owe . but it is not the same. can you imagine how your reward will be multiplied and multiplied during your fasting because you are fasting while pregnant?

there is a difference between hardship and danger. people during the time of prophet Muhammad peace be upon him were fasting in the desert, extreme heat, long days, no shade, and no Air conditioning. we ( collective we - )  have become so spoiled that we think that we cannot take even a little hardship. but rest assured my sister. that if you intend it for the sake of Allah. He will insha' Allah make it easy for you.  Just make sure that a competent doctor tells you there is no  harm for you or the baby.

as to sister Firaerty's comment . jazaaki Allahu khairan  for your advice.., however, I am going to disagree with you on  one thing.

Quoting firaerty:      I did not fast during my pregnancy because I was throwing up daily until the very end and vomiting invalidates your fast anyhow

involuntary vomiting does NOT break your fast. if you induce vomiting, ( like sticking a finger into your throat..etc) then THAT invalidates your fast. throwing up because you are sick. does not , as I said, like you, I was throwing up all times of day, all nine months in all three of my children. alhamdulilaah. and I fasted in all, and alhamdulilaah all three came out healthy and beautiful by the blessings and grace of Allah. ..

I will insha' Allah look for evidence for you on that.

as to sister adsmommy, we have a big number of posts on Ramadan and breastfeeding, or pregnancy. insha  Allah I will find them for you and bring them to the front page. may they be of use.

if I speak in error then it is from me, May Allah forgive me and guide us all to what pleases HIM Ameen.

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

firaerty
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Thanks sister Proud for the correction I didn't know you could continue your fast even after vomiting.  On that note would the fast still be valid even if you washed your mouth out after vomiting since that's like really necessary after throwing up? lol 

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Quoting firaerty:

Thanks sister Proud for the correction I didn't know you could continue your fast even after vomiting.  On that note would the fast still be valid even if you washed your mouth out after vomiting since that's like really necessary after throwing up? lol 

wa alaikum assalaam dear sister, glad I could help.. as for washing the mouth. so long as you dont' swallow. then there is no harm in washing or rinsing the mouth. it was even related one time that the companions used to rinse their mouths with water in the hot hot days of fasting. or even drenching themselves in water. both actions do not validate your fast. unless you swallow water.

I remember when I was pregnant and had to wash my mouth and brush my teeth after throwing up, I had a paper towel roll nest to the sink, I would take a sheet and keep spitting in it after I am done. just in case there was any more water with my saliva.. or any taste of the toothpaste. alhamdulilaah 

if I speak in error then it is from me , May Allah forgive me and guide us all to what pleases him Ameen. 

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

paidathome
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 5:01 AM

Asalaamu Alaykum:  I have fasted while pregnant on all of my pregnancies and I have 5 children.  However, I had much difficulty fasting while nursing and only did it twice.  I don't think my babies were getting enough milk and it was hard on me as well.

So try it and do what your body and your baby tell you.  If it is too difficult or it doesn't feel right, make it up at another time, and feed others that are fasting.

Kareemah

devotedwifemom
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 5:59 PM

As'salamalaykum

I would take my doctors advice and not fast.  A normal person needs to drink at least 8 cups of water daily to avoid dehydration.  A pregnant woman needs WAY more than that just to avoid becoming dehydrated.  We are entering the hottest month of the year and the days are very, very long.  How are you going to "make it up"?

Your doctor is correct in advising you because many women develop health complications while pregnant.  You have the right to protect your health.  How can you protect the baby in your womb if you don't protect yourself?

All pregnancies carry risk.  All pregnancies are a hardship on a womans body-some to a greater extent than others.  It's important to take care of yourself extra well at this time so that long after your child is born you can be healthy.  Health problems often devolop in people and show up later on down the line.

You might be fasting and feel like your doing okay.  This does not mean your body is not taking the hit.  Some women even have what is termed a dry birth when they do not get enough liquids during their pregnancy. 

I noticed on another post that you mentioned your previous pregnancy was difficult.  Of course your Muslim OBGYN is saying NO WAY.  You would allready be at an increased risk because women who have difficult pregnancies have a higher risk for complications with the next.

If you are being pressured to fast by those around you that is not right.  Your not fasting for them and they are not fasting for you.  People forget that abstaining from food and water is just part of Ramadan.  We are the ones who make it so important because our ego's are attached to being satisfied through our stomaches.  There are other ways to worship Allah during this holy month without aggrivating your condition of pregnancy.  

Please protect your health my sister and do not allow anyone to put undue pressure on you.

ummu_moussa
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 11:36 PM

I fasted last Ramadan while pregnant with my son, Mohammed. 

I did not ask my doctor because I knew what she was going to say. Doctors will most likely err on the side of precaution because of liability reasons -- whether they are Muslim or not. I believe Allah (SWT) gives mercy from fasting to the elderly and sick -- I was neither.

I used common sense and did not exert too much energy outdoors.  That means: no running around the playground, gardening, etc.  I also made sure not to consume foods high in sodium, or that may dehydrate me, like coffee (I know, that's hard!).

I was also under the impression that babies do not go hungry whilst in the womb.  Your body's primary duty while pregnant is to take care of the baby, so all nutrients go to the baby whether you eat or not.  Not sure about that; maybe someone who is medically inclined can weigh-in on that.

The last reason why I chose to fast was probably more selfish...I don't like having "make up" days lingering after Ramadan!  I must admit, I wasn't sure how I was going to handle not having a period break during the month.  But let me tell you, it was the best feeling to be done with fasting days once Ramadan was over.

Nevertheless, do what you feel is best for you and your little one!

devotedwifemom
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 12:27 AM

As'Salamalaykum

Sister here is an excerpt from Babiesonline.com.

Dehydration isn’t a big worry for most pregnant women, but for some women, it can become quite dangerous. Dehydration for anyone can cause weakness and sickness, but during pregnancy, it can also cause harm to your unborn baby or a spontaneous miscarriage.

Most of the time, dehydration during pregnancy occurs in the first trimester while the mother-to-be is dealing with morning sickness. When a woman experiences nausea and is unable to keep much of anything she eats down, including water, becoming dehydrated is very easy to do. Vomitting can deprive the body of the fluids and vitamins that it needs in order to stay healthy and to keep the baby hydrated.

Pregnant women will often end up in the hospital, and may need to be hooked up to an IV in order to be rehydrated when they are severely sick. A hospital stay can sometimes run to several days while the doctors try to get her vomiting under control. The biggest fear at this point is there not being enough amniotic fluid for the baby to grow in. Without enough amniotic fluid your baby could have deformities of the feet, legs and arms.

Later in pregnancy, during the second or third trimester, if a woman becomes dehydrated either from being sick, being too active and not drinking enough water, or during the summer months when it is very hot, it can cause different kinds of problems for both the mom-to-be and the baby. Dehydration often leads to premature labor as your uterus will start contracting. If you think this might be the case, try drinking at least two big glasses of water and laying down to rest to see if the contractions stop. Call your doctor or midwife as well to see what they suggest.

A simple google search makes it clear that risking dehydration is simply dangerous for you and your baby.  The point is that you don't want to risk dehydration.  Drinking fluids late at night after the sun sets will not protect you during the day if you fast and become dehydrated.  You need to understand that the damage to yourself and your unborn child occurs during the hours when you are not giving your pregnancy what it needs- water at the least!

We are NOT nocturnal animals!  The ONLY person qualified to determine if it is safe for you to fast or not fast is your DOCTOR.  No one else is a medial authority.  Your DOCTOR has given you the correct guidance.

Please do not be influenced by people who are not qualified.  You should relax and take care of your self and the child in your womb.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)