Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking of a Ramadan Journal?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 326 Total Views

I was thinking I would write a journal during Ramadan this year. How my days go- the best part of my day, things I learned, etc. etc.  Is there anything for/against that?  Just wondering if anyone may have done it before, does it all the time (outside of Ramadan)

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Aasiyah
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:05 PM

As salamu alaikum,

I was never really one for journalling. I find that im not consistent enough and that i sort of ramble on. LOL.. i do love poetry and writing poetry.  I don't see why anything would be wrong with it.  I guess it would be a way of tracking what  you do for those days.  Insha Allah there is nothing wrong with it.  I am assuming this is for personal growth not for pride or showing off.  Which is something we need to be very aware of.  Many of the companions of the Prophet  salalahu alayhi wa salam and others who followed hid thier acts of worship from thier families and companions for fear of the two things mentioned above.  Insha Allah if your intent is a for the sake of allah alone and for your personal growth chart... there should no nothing wrong with it.  I'd say go for it.  I wish i could journal.  I was much better off at poetry until i came to islam then i find that nothing i write seems significan't enought in the grand scheme of things and it takes me forever to write something meaningful and useful. 

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:35 PM

assalamu alaikum sister,

I don't see anything wrong in that masha 'Allah. for me, it is more of checking off things on a schedule than journaling.

for example, I set a few goals for myself and try to go by a schedule to accomplish them. like reading one chapter of Quran a day, and so by the end of Ramdan's thirty days, I am done with One complete Khitmah.   I try to set a certain amount of pages from books of hadith. memorization,  and tafseer... and of course my cooking schedule for home, masjid, and students..

if you look at my claneder you will think me crazy..lol. but if  I dont' constantly remind my things of stuff, I will forget my own head some where.

insha Allah this Ramadan will find you and your family in good health, and may be it be a blessing for all of us and an expiation of our sins. Ameen.

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

sienna40
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Thank you sisters.  Insha Allah it will help me with personal growth.  I think I'm going to try it every year to see how far I've come and to keep up with the knowledge I gain in Islam.  I think it will be more of a short term review of my goals during the month. 

But it's funny you mention that ppl used to hide their acts of worship because I'm similar.  I don't want ppl to see me in such a vulnerable state and I don't want to show off.  I always wondered if I'd be the person ppl said "I have never seen her pray..."  But then they would have to ask, how many times I have excused myself or disappeared for a few minutes and why?  It's just my personality and comfort level I guess.

zanzeebeel
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Asalam alaikum,

Well --- lol --- I tend to find that i have difficulty in ramadan struggling to try and juggle time to fit everything in, but then again, i dont do much better normally, lol, So i dont think I'd personally go for a journal, it would fizzel out by the second week lol, but if you think you have the time and inclination and do,,,, inshallah I'll be reading !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.

fitrah
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 11:06 AM

As Salaam Alaikum

I keep a journal and a small writing center on the coffee table during Ramadan.  The writing center is just a nice box with pens/markers, glue stick etc.  We write reflections on our daily reading, or comments on Iftar, plans for EID an interesting ayat etc. It isn't mandatory, but someone writes something almost everyday.  Once, after iftar a brother left a nice note for us thanking us for inviting him to our home.  After EID when everyone has relaxed , there is plenty of time to write about what happened, who you saw etc.  I usually keep a journal/scrapbook that is for thoughts, ideas for projects, pages ripped out of magazine for ideas etc.  Start a family tradition and ask the kids what they would like to do or how they would like to keep their memories.  Good luck.

Salaams

Fitrah

sakeenah35
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Assalamu Alaikum:

My daughter does this every year. It gives her something to look foward to and to feel proud of. At the end of the month, she is so proud of herself, mashallah.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)