Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about Ramadan

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:34 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 287 Total Views

I have been learning about Islam for a couple years now and, for some reason, this question never occurred to me until just the other day.  I know that Ramadan is a special time of year for Muslims, that you fast all day.  But I what I do not know is why do you celebrate Ramadan?  What is the meaning?  Why do you fast all day?  What denotes the time of Ramadan and why that specific time of year? I have to confess my complete ignorance of the history of Ramadan.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Greetings and thank you for the Question

we dont' really celebrate Ramadan. we fill it with worships. the "celebration " part is after Ramadan. it is really a month of hard work. not celebration. but dedicating all the work for the sake of Allah, is a source of pleasure alhamduliaah ( praise be to God)

why Ramadan?

well Ramadan is a lunar Arabic month. it was around even before Islam . but it is the month that the Quran was revealed in. and chosen by Allah to be our month of fasting. all the good deeds are multiplied. and for those sincere in their worships, all their sins will be forgiven. every night Allah frees a number of those who fast from the punishment of Hell. ( ie, they are forgiven their sins.)

you just reminded me of something I have been putting off, I will post about the virtues of this month. thank you.

hope this answers your questions.

Thank you

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

sonorared
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Proud, thank you so much for your information.  Your answer and the post the Virtues of Ramadan answered many of my questions.  I was embarassed to be so ignorant about the meaning of Ramadan.  If any other ladies wish to add anything please feel free.  I would love to hear what Ramadan means to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)