Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long is your Khutbah?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:45 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 409 Total Views

I rarely go to the masjid here in Ogden because honestly I don't like it. I've gone a few times and have been the only woman...so I usually drive to SLC.

Well Jinan started school yesterday, so it's kinda hard to drop him off and then make to SLC for Jummah since parking is crazy there. I needed to shower today so that was another strike against me.

Anyway, I go to the Ogden Masjid today and YAY I wasn't the only woman. Eshan slept thru the whole thing and Samaan was quiet (WHICH NEVER HAPPENS!) so anyway when I got back to the car it was 224pm, I arrived at 125pm....so I was there for an hour, and the Khutbah started basically at 130, I gave salaams and then left.

Is it normal for it to take an hour? In SLC I can go and be out by 2:05-2:10 and that's with the walk back to the car...

I don't know I have mixed feelings.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
WLNL0507
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Asalaam Alaykum Sister,

All the masjids I have been to here in Boston, the Khutbah all last for 1 hour.  They start at 1pm, give about 30 minutes in Arabic and then about 30 minutes in english.  And we are out by 2pm. Hope this helps!

Masalaama <3

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Assalamu alaikum sisters,

well, the Sunnah of prophet Muhammad peace be upon him is to make the Khutba short ( reasonably) and the prayer long ( reasonably) . what happens nowadays though, the imams like to hear themselves talk , some times redundantly, and then there is barely time for the prayer and so they read short surahs and be done with the prayer in no time.

subhana Allah.

alhamdulilaah, our Imam does not prolong the khutba too much. and he reads an ample amount of quran during the prayer. not too long, and not too short alhamduilaah.

our khutba starts at 1:30 and we are done with the prayer at 2:10 or so. so our khutba takes about thirty or forty minutes. ( never an hour) . and masha' Allah our Imam gives the khutba only in English. except for the Quran verses and hadiths, he says them in Arabic then translates them to English.

be patient sister. and remember. women are not required to go to Jumaah. but if the khutba is your only Islamic lesson of the week. then insha' Allah you will be rewarded for your attendence and your patience.  Ameen

ps, if you have concerns. just leave a note in the suggestion box.

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

Aasiyah
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:03 PM

as salamu alaikum,

my masjids that i frequent for jumah each takes about 45mins- to an hour... within that time the khutbah is done in Arabic then translated in english, we pray our 2 rakats  our sunnah prayers and we go home.  I enjoy going to the jummah prayer or staying home and listening to it on paltalk.  I love that they give the khutbah in arabic as that was the speach  in which Allah chose to send down his religion and  it  helps me to listen attentively for words i understand and i pick up on new words and phrases. Its basically the only time the muslims get the added reminders, ahadiths and schloars references during the week if there are not holding classes or lectures. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)