Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

saying bismillah inside the bathroom for wudu'

Posted by (Group Owner) on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:53 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 5924 Total Views

assalamu alaikum sisters,

in another post, one of our sisters shared with us how when she said bismillah for wudu' in the washroom of the masjid she got nasty looks as if she comitted a sin.

well. I have to say that I have a very strong opinion about this one. ( surprised? you shouldn't be. lol, you ladies should know me by nowmonkey)

OK.

One is NOT supposed to utter the name of Allah, or even say anything WHILE using the bathroom. ie, doing his business. even if you sneeze you say alhamdulilaah in your heart and not out loud.

HOWEVER, since the sister got nasty looks, then I assume she was out of the stall, and NOT doing her business. and washing at the washing stations outside the stalls.

SO, she is NOT in the bathroom. in Arabic the place of Ghaa'it. is the place where you do your business. the sister was NOT inside the stall, nor was she doing any "business"  in this case. she is supposed to say bismillah ( not in her heart) because SAYING bismillah is required for wudu' 

some scholars even see that if your bathroom in your house has the sink close to the bidet, you still have to say bismillah when you begin your wudu'

I have to go now finish my quran reading for the day. but I WILL come tomorrow with a fatwa to the effect insha' Allah. I am sure I will be able to find one. insha' Allah. (Y'all remind me if I forget now)

if I speak in error then it is from me . may Allah forgive me and guide us all to what pleases him Ameen.

sister zanzeebeel. you were not doing anything wrong. so dont' feel bad.

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
practicingislam
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 1:33 AM

asalamu alaikum subhan'Allah i learned something new today i didnt know u were suppose to say bismillah before making wudu, subhan'Allah Jazak'Allah khairon <3   <3   <3

GDIMOM
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Asalamu Alaikum,

I normally don't say it aloud and that it was ok not to verbalize it. So should we say it before going into the bathroom verbally when we intend to do wudu there?

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Assalamu alaikum sisters,

I have found a fatwa with the ruling on this alhamdulilaah. insha' Allah it will be of benefit ( Edited only in font and color: Quran, Hadith, scholars ruling:

sister GDIMOM you don't 'have to say it out loud, but you do have to hear it yourself. and even if you dont' want to do wudu' we are supposed to say bismillah BEFORE we enter the bathroom. I will insha' Allah post something about bathroom etiquette

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

Saying Bismillaah in one's heart when doing wudoo’ in the bathroom
Is it ok to say it in the heart because my wudhu area is attached to the toilet and I do not want to mention the name of ALLAh aloud there.

Praise be to Allaah.  

It is makrooh to mention the name of Allaah in the place where one relieves oneself, out of respect for the name of Allaah so that His name will not be mentioned in a place of impurity which is the abode of the devils. 

Al-Nawawi(may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Adhkaar (p. 21-22): 

It is makrooh to recite dhikr and to speak when relieving oneself, whether that is in the desert or inside a building.All kinds of dhikr and speech are the same in this regard, except in cases of necessity. Some of our companions even say that if a person sneezes (in the bathroom), he should not say “al-hamdu Lillah”, and one should not say “yarhamuk-Allaah” to a person who sneezes, or return the greeting of salaam, or respond to the muezzin in the bathroom. All of that is makrooh but is not haraam. If a person sneezes and praises Allaah in his heart without moving his tongue, there is nothing wrong with that. The same applies when having intercourse  

And we narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: Aman passed by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whilst he was urinating and greeted him with salaam, but he did not return the greeting.(Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh, 370). And it was narrated that al-Muhaajir ibn Qunfudh (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:I came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whilst he was urinating and greeted him with salaam, but he did not return the greeting until he had done wudoo’, then he apologized to me and said: I do not like to mention the name of Allaah unless I am in a state of purity.” (A saheeh hadeeth narrated by Abu Dawood, al-Nasaa’i and Ibn Maajah with a saheeh isnaad).

--- 

Based on this, if the place where you do wudoo’ is inside the bathroomwhich is the place for relieving oneself and is not used for washing only – then it is makroohto utter the name of Allaah in this place, even though it is prescribed to say Bismillaah (when doing wudoo’). Some of the scholars say that a person should say Bismillaah in his heart without uttering it on his tongue. 

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Sharh al-Mumti’ (1/130): 

If a person is in the bathroom, then Imam Ahmad said: If a man sneezes he should praise Allaah in his heart. It may be deduced from this report that he should also say Bismillaah in his heart. 

Others suggested that it is most likely that it is still prescribed to say Bismillaah. They said: He should say it out loud and it is not makrooh in this place. 

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: 

There is nothing wrong with doing wudoo’ inside the bathroom if necessary, and saying Bismillaah at the beginning, because saying Bismillaah is obligatory according to some scholars, and is strongly encouraged according to the majority. So he should do that, and the ruling on it being makrooh is waived, because such rulings are waived when it is necessary to say Bismillaah. A person is commanded to say Bismillaah when starting to do wudoo’, so he should say it and complete his wudoo’.

Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 10/28

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/94

It is makrooh to utter the name of Allaah in the bathroom where a person relieves himself, out of respect for His name, but it is prescribed to say Bismillaah when starting to do wudoo’, because it is obligatory according to a group of scholars.

If the place where one does wudoo’ is outside the bathroom, even if it is attached to it, then it is prescribed for the person who is doing wudoo’ to utter Bismillaahand it is not makrooh in this case because he is not inside the bathroom.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>><<>

so according to the last paragraph in this ruling. the sister saying bismilaah as she started wudu in the washing area in the masjid OUTSIDE the stalls. was doing the right thing. and the woman who gasped at her, and looked at her with "horror" was being judgemental without educating her self on the matter.

it really bothers me when women hold on to their cultural practices, and never investigate to see if they were correct . and then go out of their way to make others who are new to the faith, or with less knowledge. to feel inferior and wrong.   There is a proper manner in advising sisters, and teaching the new Muslims. but we need to educate ourselves first.
but that is another matter for another post I guess. lol

so sister. next time a lady gasps at you for saying bismillah in the washing area. point to the stalls and say THAT is WHERE it is Makrooh. THAT is the place of impurity. THIS is a washing Area. and  obviously there are no impurities coming out of me or anyone else around me that I can see. but thank you for the sentiment.  ;)

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

zanzeebeel
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Asalam alaikum,

Well it just goes to show that we keep on learning , mashallah, !!! I have spent very many years now doing it (bismillah) silently convinced that, that was the correct way to do it.

Yes my DEAR SWEET SISTER, you are correct in assuming that :-----

then I assume she was out of the stall, and NOT doing her business. and washing at the washing stations outside the stalls. 

I was most definately NOT in a stall and i was most definately NOT "doing my business" , and i WAS most definately at a washing basin. LOL, ------- arh they say there should be no shyness in the religion, lol,lol,lol, 

jazaka Allahu khairan ,

GDIMOM
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Quoting proud2bmom3:

Assalamu alaikum sisters,

sister GDIMOM you don't 'have to say it out loud, but you do have to hear it yourself. and even if you dont' want to do wudu' we are supposed to say bismillah BEFORE we enter the bathroom. I will insha' Allah post something about bathroom etiquette

Wa Alaikum Salam,

Thank you for the clarification.

Aasiyah
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 5:16 AM

as salamu alaikum,

I wanted to add that if a person forgets to say bismilliah (aloud or quietly ) before commencing wudo, he can continue with his wudo at the time he remembers without having to repeat the wudo. because it was reported that there was a dua made regarding forgetfullness or falling into error and the prophet, sallalahu alayhi wa salam informed the sahaba that Allah had accepted thier dua and granted it.  Therefore the person who errs or forgets is forgiven. ( I believe this is from Quran) Insha allah, i'll post a fatawa later when i find it in my book and have time to type it out.  Fajr prayer awaits.

AzIzAzIzA
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Assalam u Alaikum sisters

Thank you for such an educational post.  I have always assumed it was haram to say in the bathroom-regardless if the toilet is attached (here there is a room with just a toilet and another with a sink and shower).  I have always said it quietly in my heart. 

Jazakullah Khair sister for educating us on this :)  May Allah (sw) reward you for all your good deeds and intentions!!

Aasiyah
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM

As salamu alaikum,

here is a fatawa islmiyah ruling from shaykh ibn baz (rahim allah)

The Ruling on saying bismilliah befor wudu

Q.  I make ablution and forget to say Bismilliah until after i have finished washing my hands and whenever i remember i  repeat it again, what is the ruling on this?

A.  The majority of the scholars agree that Wudu is correct even without saying Bismilliah while some of the scholars hold that the Tasmiyyah (saying bismillah) is obligatory, so long as one knows and remembers it, based upon what was reported from the Prophet (sallalahu alayhi wa salam). 

"there is no wudo for the one who does not mention the Name of Allah upon it" (at  tirmithi no 25, ibn majah nos 397,398. 399

But whoever left it due to forgetfullness or ignorance his wudu is correct and does not need to repeat it (wudo)  even if we accept that the Tasmiyyah is obligatory, because it is excused due to ignorance or forgetfullness and the proof for that is in Allah's words

" Our Lord ! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error( surah baraqah 2:286)

And it has been authentically reported from the Messenger of Allah (-Sallalahu alayhi wa salam) that Allah, the Most Glorified, Most High has answered this supplication. 

practicingislam
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM

asalamu alaikum dear blowing kisses

Quoting Aasiyah:

As salamu alaikum,

here is a fatawa islmiyah ruling from shaykh ibn baz (rahim allah)

The Ruling on saying bismilliah befor wudu

Q.  I make ablution and forget to say Bismilliah until after i have finished washing my hands and whenever i remember i  repeat it again, what is the ruling on this?

A.  The majority of the scholars agree that Wudu is correct even without saying Bismilliah while some of the scholars hold that the Tasmiyyah (saying bismillah) is obligatory, so long as one knows and remembers it, based upon what was reported from the Prophet (sallalahu alayhi wa salam). 

"there is no wudo for the one who does not mention the Name of Allah upon it" (at  tirmithi no 25, ibn majah nos 397,398. 399

But whoever left it due to forgetfullness or ignorance his wudu is correct and does not need to repeat it (wudo)  even if we accept that the Tasmiyyah is obligatory, because it is excused due to ignorance or forgetfullness and the proof for that is in Allah's words

" Our Lord ! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error( surah baraqah 2:286)

And it has been authentically reported from the Messenger of Allah (-Sallalahu alayhi wa salam) that Allah, the Most Glorified, Most High has answered this supplication. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)