Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hallal Meat

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:49 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 311 Total Views

If Hallal meat is widely available around you but most of it is of poor quality...

the chicken tastes gamey...(if you soak it in vinegar and salt for 3 + hours then wash it off that takes away all gaminess).

beef takes 3-4 hours to make tender because its really old...

steaks and lamb chops never tender...

Lamb is gamey often times.

Is it ever, ever ok to eat regular? Because my husband keeps complaining about the meat and I was reading the Quran last night (the kind with explanations in surah 5:8 explanation it talks about when you become a Muslim you make a covenant with Allah...and that begins with cleanliness on all levels...first keeping your body, then your food hence Hallal and then your soul and your innermost thoughts.

Husband wants me to buy substitute regular for things you can really taste like steaks, lamb chops...chicken and ground beef are ok and I found a lamb leg brand that is non gamey and tender at Meijer's thats Hallal and cheap!

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Assalamu alaikum sister

I have bumped for you a post about this subject: You can also find it by clicking HERE

it also contains a fatwa by ibn Uthaymeen may Allah have mercy on him. and it is the opinion of ibn Baaz may Allah have mercy on him.

my husband and I buy from the store. we say bismillah when we cook and bismillah when we eat. I had called the companies that sell the chicken and turkey and they all assured me that the birds are alive when they are slaughtered. my husband checked with the farms about the beef and lamb. though we didn't really need to do that, as the fatwa and the verses indicate that we assume that the meat of the people of the book is HALAL. unless someone comes to you and tells you that THIS exact meat you are eating right now has been surely slaughtered in a way that is not according to Islamic Law, then you leave it. otherwise, you ASSUME IT IS HALAL.

for those Muslims who insist on buying Thabeeha  meat. masha' Allah for their efforts. may they be rewarded for their discipline. as for the rest of us, who live in remote areas and do not have thebeeha meat available except when driving five to seven hours, or those of us who cannot afford to pay the high prices of the meat , then insha' Allah we take the allowance given to us in those verses, and may Allah reward us according to our intentions. Ameen. ( just because the meat does not have the halal label on it , does not make haram. )

hope the fatwas are of help to you.

if I speak in error then it is from me , May Allah forgive me and guide us all to what pleases Him ameen.

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

ummrami
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Dear sisters thank you both for posting the question and the response . I too have run into the problem of poor quality halal meat and chicken . I spoke to my husband about just buying it at the grocery store but he refused and said no . Although he complains about he taste himself . I have just prayed over the matter and am thankful that we finally got an Arabic store here that sells good products , still some of the items like the beef are horrible so I have learned to boil with just enough water to cover and add cardamom to give it some taste , which helps . As for the chicken I just let it soak in buttermilk or I get Cornish hens . They seem to have less of a gamey taste . But to tell you the truth I have started using a lot of goat meat (the shoulder) . The taste is wonderful ,much like the beef used to be and it's so tender . I hope to show the link on here to my husband and see what we can come to as far as an agreement . In the mean time I'm thankful to have the food we have . And I'll keep trying to find inventive ways to spice things up and make them tastier .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)