Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mmkay, sick of my site...anyone use a blog for their regular site?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 272 Total Views

I found some sweet Blogger templates..and I've been trying to redesign my site..get a new template, find a way to put stuff up that's less time consuming than always having to code everything in html..bleck.  So I was wondering if anyone uses Blogger or Wordpress, or some other blogging site, as their business site?  Of course I own my domain, so I'd link it through there instead of blahblahblah.blogspot.com or whatever. LOL 

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Swtdreamerbaby
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:11 PM

No I don't..but I was contemplating it lol

NoNonsenseMama
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:13 PM

No, but I'm frustrated as well.  I own my domain but hate the free web editor they they provided and can't at this time afford to pay for a web design program.  It doesn't help that I am completely web illiterate, too!!

Owner Of: The Militant Breastfeeding Cult ~ *Raising Intact Boys* ~ Proud Public Breastfeeder
Admin Of: Alternative Parenting Advice ~ New or SOON-T0-BE breastfeeders! ~ Breastfeeding Moms Against Formula
~ Birth Is Normal!

I'm a happy breastfeeding, cosleeping, nonvaxxing, noncircing, nonspanking, cloth diapering addicted, natural birthing, athiest, republican, child-led SAHM to 3 wonderful kids who's been there, done that and now doing it better...for them! Happily married for over 3 years to my wonderful hubby, certified for state corrections! **Click the banner below to view my photography!**

KHoltphotography. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Kristanene
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I've been using a free template that I found..which was okay, until I got sick of looking at it. Hehe  I edited using Dreamweaver...but it just takes SO long to do anything.  I have flash galleries for my work, and I'm in a very rural area, so lots of people still have only dial up....hence, slow connections and some people can't view the galleries well.  Otherwise, I'd probably shell out for a flashpalette site..they have decent ones for like $60 or $80..but going all flash is a bit of a backpedal, as far as making my site more accessible for my clients.  Because, really, what's the use of a frilly site if no one can load it? LOL Blogs are just SO much easier to update.

crystalahale
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I am in the process of switching over to a squarespace blog. I like it so far! I'll be linking it through my domain as well, but haven't devoted the time to doing so just yet...

www.crystalhale.squarespace.com if you'd like to check it out.

Swtdreamerbaby
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Crystal, are you able to put your portfolio, etc. on there as well?

Quoting crystalahale:

I am in the process of switching over to a squarespace blog. I like it so far! I'll be linking it through my domain as well, but haven't devoted the time to doing so just yet...

http://www.crystalhale.squarespace.com/ if you'd like to check it out.

Swtdreamerbaby
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Do you do online proofing/ordering then at all?  If you had a blog would you be able to do that? 

Quoting Kristanene:

I've been using a free template that I found..which was okay, until I got sick of looking at it. Hehe  I edited using Dreamweaver...but it just takes SO long to do anything.  I have flash galleries for my work, and I'm in a very rural area, so lots of people still have only dial up....hence, slow connections and some people can't view the galleries well.  Otherwise, I'd probably shell out for a flashpalette site..they have decent ones for like $60 or $80..but going all flash is a bit of a backpedal, as far as making my site more accessible for my clients.  Because, really, what's the use of a frilly site if no one can load it? LOL Blogs are just SO much easier to update.

Kristanene
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:56 PM

That's not bad!  Do they have different templates?  I like the fact that you can do the page tabs...I've only seen a very few blogger templates that incorporate that...and still not sure how it all works, exactly.

Quoting crystalahale:

www.crystalhale.squarespace.com if you'd like to check it out.

Kristanene
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Yeah, I do.  The way I do it, a blog wouldn't effect it at all, because all the client proof pages are separate pages within the site..it's like www.kristagabbardphotography.com/soandsojones or something along those lines.  It really wouldn't have any bearing at all on a new site design, because it's all going through my hosting site..then hubby uses an open source software to set  up a gallery with ordering options...when they place an order it gets emailed straight to me.  Clients don't actually have to go to my site at all..I just give them the link to their galleries...but even so, I could still make a "clients" page on my blog and list the client and forward that to their gallery that way too. 

Quoting Swtdreamerbaby:

Do you do online proofing/ordering then at all?  If you had a blog would you be able to do that? 

Quoting Kristanene:

Swtdreamerbaby
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Oh I see..I guess I need to figure that out.  I know html..but don't know what an open source software is and I def. don't know how to write flash codes haha  I just use zenfolio right now for ordering, etc. because they do it all for me! :) 

Quoting Kristanene:

Yeah, I do.  The way I do it, a blog wouldn't effect it at all, because all the client proof pages are separate pages within the site..it's like www.kristagabbardphotography.com/soandsojones or something along those lines.  It really wouldn't have any bearing at all on a new site design, because it's all going through my hosting site..then hubby uses an open source software to set  up a gallery with ordering options...when they place an order it gets emailed straight to me.  Clients don't actually have to go to my site at all..I just give them the link to their galleries...but even so, I could still make a "clients" page on my blog and list the client and forward that to their gallery that way too. 

Quoting Swtdreamerbaby:

Quoting Kristanene:

Kristanene
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Oh, I'd love to do that, but I don't make enough $ to bother with it, so we do it all ourselves.  Hubby is a computer geek, which is great for me! LOL  Open source software is free, so we find and use a lot of that.  I couldn't write flash to save my life..my flash galleries were also open source.

Quoting Swtdreamerbaby:

Oh I see..I guess I need to figure that out.  I know html..but don't know what an open source software is and I def. don't know how to write flash codes haha  I just use zenfolio right now for ordering, etc. because they do it all for me! :) 

Quoting Kristanene:

Quoting Swtdreamerbaby:

Quoting Kristanene:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)