Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP WITH RAW!!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:04 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 168 Total Views

I currently shoot in jpeg and I hear so many people saw raw is better. Will my settings change because of the switch? Do I need to have a better card to read them? Any information would be greatly apprieciated.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
crystalahale
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:24 PM

RAW is much easier to correct, if your white balance or exposure is off for whatever reason. Also, you can edit and save repeatedly, if needed, without losing quality like a jpeg would. Your settings would be the same in either format. The files are much larger, so you are able to take fewer shots on your cards than you could in jpeg, but it's absolutely worth it to me.

For example, I shot a wedding last summer with my sister-in-law assisting me. I shot in RAW and she shot in jpeg, to be sure I would have enough card space for the RAW files I shot. It's very challenging to set custom WBs during the flow of a wedding, and the lighting changed several times, so there were significant adjustments to be made in PP. The RAW files were a snap to correct. The jpegs just looked horrible, so bw conversions were my only option.

That said, it must be noted that if you take the time to set a custom WB each time, and work hard at getting your exposure exactly right in camera every time (which should definitely be the goal...), and edit each image only once before saving (plus a quick sharpen and save before printing), there really is no problem with shooting in jpeg. :)

Tina.AlliesMom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:23 PM

You'll definitely need a bigger card.  I primarily use an 8GB card for all my shooting, then have a 2GB standing by, just incase.  When your shooting in raw your going to need to get to know your available settings on your camera, because there will be a whole slew of new options.  Raw/large, raw/medium, raw/small, raw&jpeg's, etc.....  So you'll want to go thru and read your manual, and get to know what the options are, to find what your most comfortable with.

Terrano Photography. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)