Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A True B&W Conversion...

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:25 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 866 Total Views

The below instructions will be for those who use Photoshop 7 or higher.  I believe the steps are similar for the lower versions of PS but I'm not 100% sure.  If anyone has instructions on how to do a TRUE B&W conversion for another editing program, please feel free to post it here.

Now remember, there are many ways to turn a photo into B&W.  But half of them are the wrong way to do it.  But yes, there are also a few other ways to achieve a TRUE B&W conversion as well.

There are a few BAD things you can do to achieve a B&W image:  setting the camera to take a B&W (greyscale) photo rather than taking it in color first and then converting it; in Photoshop, turning it B&W by using the "greyscale" or "desaturate" it.  These normally result in dark and "muddy" looking photos.

Follow these steps to achieve a True B&W conversion:

~ duplicate your original image in PS

~ Click Adjustments and select "Hue/Saturation".  Reduce both Hue & Saturation to -98%, give or take, depends on the image itself.

~ Click Auto Contrast (watch this selection, as sometimes it blows out details or makes things too dark.  If it does, ignore this step).  It usually just makes the image pop a little more.

~ Click Adjustments and select "Image/Selective Color".  Select the dropdown box on "Neutral".  Lighten or darken the neutral using the black slider.  Sometimes the contrast needs to be washed out (lightened) in order to get the best results for the following 2 steps.  Watch the mid tones when doing this.  The mid tones should maintain the contrast.  It's hard to explain this, just experiment.

~ In the same option, select the drop down box and choose "White".  Bring the black slider to the left to brighten the whites.  Be careful NOT to wash out details in the white.  You want to avoid creating hot spots.

~ In the same option, select the drop down box and choose "Black".  Bring the black slider to the RIGHT to darken and add more contrast.  Watch out you don't blacken the detail in the darks.  (fyi--most of the time, all I need to do is add +1 or +2 to the blacks to add a little "punch" to it).

~ Doing the above steps will add to the auto contrast you added in the beginning.

****I'll add an original color image and a converted image just as soon as my photoshop stops freezing on me. lol****

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amber115
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 8:03 PM

There are several ways to do this in PaintShopPro, but here is one website I found. Hope it helps.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/How-to-create-customisable-black-and-white-images-in-Paint-Shop-Pro

Plus, I joined Paint Shop Pro Users group here, and there is a tut for High Key B&W. I didn't know if I was allowed to copy and paste from the other group, but if I am, let me know.

BethieBoo
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 8:22 PM

I have Photoshop Elements 6 and I don't have the Image/Selective Color option. Can anyone help me with this?

miggo5
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Thank you for this post - I just got Photoshop 7 for my birthday and am totally confused.  I will try this in the am.   Do you have a particular manual you like the best for PS7?

treasuredsnaps
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Here is my attempt at a true B&W. I have PS Elements 6, so I followed the steps below but like the OP I couldn't find the image/selective color in Elements 6. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated!

Also I am a beginner, and let me start by saying I SUCK at manual indoors! But here's my settings! Any help with my attempt at true B&W will be greatly appreciated!

Nikon D90
SB600
F 5/6
SS 1/6 sec
ISO 200

Here's my original

BWilliams88
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:57 PM

She has food on her face (I haven't figured out how to edit that out yet) but how is this?

Dani41780
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM

((THIS WORKS FOR PHOTOSHOPT and paintshoppro.))

I convert using channels.. I will share this with you guys as well...

HERE are a few of my black and whites.

I WISH I knew how to properly do tuts.

I start off by sizing my image.

Then I select Color Channels

Select monchrome At the very end of the box you will see constant that will show how light or dark your image will end up.

I then duplicate twice

The first layer I color burn and change opacity to desired

The second layer I use Soft light change opacity to desire

THen go to layers adjustment layers color, change the colors to a brownish color (purple and yellow make brown.)

Then I change the opacity to desire of brown I want to show through.

Then I adjust curves, levels and brightness/contrast.

Reduce noise, resize and then sharpen.

VIILO!

Danielle

Mom to Kylei, 10-18-02, Kaden 10-10-04, Korey 10-17-06 & Korbin 10-30-08

I'm a Christian, PRO LIFE, Breast-feeding, Delay vaccinating, Baby wearing, Co-sleeping, Natural Birthing Mommy!

Want to be a PRO PHOTOGRAPHER? FOLLOW ME TO MY GROUP!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/97051/

Dani41780. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Jesca4u
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 6:02 PM

How is this - does it look true?  I use a Mac and use an old copy of Fireworks and/or iPhoto (which I love) to do most of my edits.

This is my grandmother :o) xoxo

Do you like taking photos - join my group & Show off your Pictures!

Dani41780
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 6:12 PM

It looks like when you converted that you blew out many spots on the photo. Her forhead, and cheeks you lost detail. I'd say try again and try to not blow out any spots. I NOTICED its not in the origianl only your conversion.

Quoting Jesca4u:

How is this - does it look true?  I use a Mac and use an old copy of Fireworks and/or iPhoto (which I love) to do most of my edits.

This is my grandmother :o) xoxo

Danielle

Mom to Kylei, 10-18-02, Kaden 10-10-04, Korey 10-17-06 & Korbin 10-30-08

I'm a Christian, PRO LIFE, Breast-feeding, Delay vaccinating, Baby wearing, Co-sleeping, Natural Birthing Mommy!

Want to be a PRO PHOTOGRAPHER? FOLLOW ME TO MY GROUP!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/97051/

Dani41780. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Jamelyn777
by on Jan. 30, 2009 at 1:02 AM

I also have Photoshop Elements 6.. i can't go passed Image/selective Color either. If u find out what to do let me know. I'm totally stuck now too. THX

ButtrflyTattoos
by on Jan. 30, 2009 at 1:33 AM

I use "gradient map" to convert my photos to BW in Photoshop. heres an example of what the gradient map does.

before-

after-

heres a quick tutorial for anyone that wants to try another way. it works for me :)

Photobucket

hbear1029. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)