Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

first time trying to capture action in manual cc please

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:30 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 198 Total Views

I know the background is yuk but just practicing settings. and I seen the neighbors children playing jump rope in the street so decided to try. The first two are

1/125    f/5   200

1/80    f/5   200

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
DarlaP
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM

The exposures look pretty decent.  If you had been shooting subjects that were not moving, then your settings would be ok.  Since you are trying to capture motion, if you want to freeze that motion and not have the blur, then your ss needs to be higher...which also means either a faster lens with a low f-stop or upping your ISO to compensate.  For action shots, I usually think of 1/500 as a good starting point for the ss and then tweak from there depending on the situation.

theredfishqueen
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:35 PM

OK thank you so much. I will try again tomorrow

Quoting DarlaP:

The exposures look pretty decent.  If you had been shooting subjects that were not moving, then your settings would be ok.  Since you are trying to capture motion, if you want to freeze that motion and not have the blur, then your ss needs to be higher...which also means either a faster lens with a low f-stop or upping your ISO to compensate.  For action shots, I usually think of 1/500 as a good starting point for the ss and then tweak from there depending on the situation.

crystalahale
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 10:20 PM

I like the little bit of motion blur your SS of 1/125 gave you. The 1/80 is much too blurry, though. So, depending on what you're going for... 1/125 will express the motion, a higher SS will freeze the motion!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)