Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How about a success story....

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:33 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 188 Total Views

We have been asking our son (7 years old) for weeks to clean up his room.  Granted it is a busy time of year so we haven't really pushed the issue with him (after all it IS his room).  But last saturday he had a friend come over and play.  I know you all are aware of what happens to a childs room when a friend comes to play, so about 20 minutes before the child was to leave I let the boys know that they should start cleaning up.  Of course they didn't.  The boy went home and Ben's room was a total disaster, yes even more so than before. 

So that night my husband and I both told Ben we would not be entering his room again until he had it cleaned up.  We were afraid of hurting ourselves or of the toys attacking us.  So bed time routine time came, room is a mess, we don't go in.  We stand at the door while he puts on his PJs, reads us a book and I sing him songs from the door.  We usually also play a card game on his bed, but not that night.  He turned on his own music and went to sleep.

Next day still didn't get it cleaned up.  Bed time comes and we tell him the same thing.  Now he isn't happy.  He didn't throw a big fit, he just tried crying for a minute or two and then decided that he would now clean up his room.  So about 20 minutes later it is acceptable, we give high-5s and in dad and I go for bedtime.  Hee hee hee.  How I love those enforcable statements.

Monica

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Carolbrady100
by New Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:38 PM

It is sometimes overwelming for kids at that age to clean a whole room at once. Try breaking it down for him. First put all the books on the book shelf, then all the action figures in the toy box, etc., etc. He might do better in small steps

hot_mama819
by Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 12:19 PM

We had a similar situation with our 5 y/o... she had her friends over and they TRASHED the playroom so I told her that b/c she is responsible for the messes her friends make that she needed to help me clean it up (some of the stuff they broke so I was cleaning that) she didn't and I ended up doing all of it (couldn't leave it that way cuz we have a 2 y/o that plays in there too)... we have a standing rule in our house about the playroom 'you are welcome to play in the playroom as long as you pick up your messes'.... b/c they share the room and all the toys that was easier than removing the toys or trying to figure out who made what mess... well since she didn't help me she didn't get to play in the playroom ALL the next day.... it drove her crazy and by 6pm she was begging me to let her help our 2 y/o clean up the playroom so she could play in it the next day... LOL! And I haven't had trouble with her not wanting to pick up since... he he!

wink

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)