Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long will a cake stay fresh?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 10:06 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 297 Total Views

My daughter's christening is Nov 7th, and we'll be having some family and friends here for dinner afterward.  I was wanting to make a cake for the event, but I'm not going to have any time to do it on Saturday.  My family is also from out of town and will be coming in on Friday evening...since I haven't seen them in a while I would love to be able to visit with them when they arrive instead of working on Annabelle's cake.  However, would the cake still be fresh if I made it Thursday night or Friday morning?  I'm also thinking about trying out fondaunt, but it'll be my first time so I'm not sure how long this will keep either.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks Ladies!!

Heather

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
HeatherW
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Anyone?

Heather

happy1mom
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 11:17 AM

It depends on what kind of cake you're making.  If it's covered in fondant, you can keep it out on the counter top for three to four days and it will taste fresh.  Not sure about just butttercream.

Fondant cakes are the ones I  usually do.  Here's the steps I take:

Prepare fondant. I make my own (marshmallow) and let it sit double wrapped over night on the counter top.  I don't know why people chill it in the fridge, it's not neccessary.  I add flavor extracts and coloring into the melted marshmallows - easier to add at this point than having to knead it in later.

I apply a thin crumb coat of crusting buttercream to the cake, set for 20 minutes, I use the Viva method to smooth the buttercream, and apply a second thicker crusting buttercream layer, and set again (20 minutes) and smooth.   Then I mist the cake with water and apply the fondant to the cake. 

You can pm me if you have any questions.  Hope things turn out for you!  :)

>>>>>TheCookieJunkie<<<<<

Come on over and check us out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)