Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Icing Recipes!!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:48 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 1699 Total Views

OK Ladies here is my first idea which I am actually borrowing from another one of my cake groups!!

Post your favorite icing recipes here and I will create a sticky post for them so they will only be a click away for us when we need them and that way we won't have to wait for someone to come on and answer our post for help!!!!

You are still welcome to ask~however, if they are all in one spot it may make life a little easier!!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsEmsMom110
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 1:01 AM

*Note- previously I only said whipping cream, I've changed that now to HEAVY whipping cream, which is what it should have said all along, I apologize for that.

This came from another group but I use it all the time and everyone loves it. Its butter cream, * I've changed it just a tiny bit from the other recipe.

1 cup white crisco, 1 cup pre-creamed shortning- Richtex is a good one I usually find it at Price Less grocery (I use a 1/3 measuring cup to scoop it so that its smaller chunks)

2 lbs powder sugar (more for thicker icing, adjusted a little at a time)

1 teaspoon clear vanilla, 1 teaspoon clear butter flavors

5-6 tblsp HEAVY whipping cream, 7-9 tblsp half and half (more for thinner icing, adjusted a little at a time)

* a few shakes of popcorn salt (makes it not as sweet but doesn't give a salty flavor)

For chocolate, I add cocoa powder until I get the flavor and color that I want, if it gets too thick I add more half and half.

michiganmom116
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Quoting MsEmsMom110:

Does anyone have a Royal Icing recipe they can add here? I'm wanting to play around with it some soon but I'm not sure how to make it.

From a 1985 Wilton yearbook:

Royal Egg White Icing:

3 egg whites at room temperature

4 cups confectioners sugar

1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

Beat all ingredients at high speed for 7 to 10 minutes.  Use immediately, rebeating will not restore texture. 

Royal icing dries quickly so keep icing bowl covered with a damp cloth at all times.  Be sure your bowl & beater are grease free before making the recipe.

luvmy4and1
by Group Owner on Dec. 2, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Royal Icing (stiff consistancy)

3 level tablespoons meringue powder

1 lb. sifted pure cane confectioners sugar (4 cups)

5-6 tablespoons of lukewarm water

Make sure all untensils are grease free

Place confectioners sugar and meringue powder in a bowl.  Stir or mix at low speed until blended.  Add water and mix 7-10 minutes at low-medium speed until icing loses its sheen.  To prevent drying, be sure to cover the bowl with a damp cloth while working with icing.

Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.  To reuse, beat on low to restore original texture.

This is the recipe given to you when you take the Wilton decorating class 2.  :)

MsEmsMom110
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Thanks Ladies!! There are a few flowers I've been wanting to try and everyone says to use royal. I plan to play with this after the wedding madness is over. I will post pics when I do. Thanks again!!

Jemoiselle
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 2:07 PM

MsEmsMom, Does your recipe come out similar to the whipped icing I keep hearing about? I have a customer who wants whipped frosting on a cake and I am still searching for a good recipe, that will hold up to decorating and not melt on me!I think you may have just solved a HUGE problem for me! *crossing fingers*

I ask because of the last ingredient hehe.

Thanks!!

Jessie

luvmy4and1
by Group Owner on Dec. 18, 2009 at 5:13 PM

No that is just a buttercream recipe, Jessie.

I too have not found a recipe for the whipped icing~I do know that at my walmart in the Wilton supplies they sell a box of the mix for stablized whipped icing~I haven't tried that yet.

HAHA  I just realized I have NEVER googled it under stablized whipped icing~geez that might get me a better result!!! :P

MsEmsMom110
by on Dec. 21, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Jessie, I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for but I found this at allrecipes.com. I tried to copy and paste it but my stepdad's computer is a little pickier than mine and wouldn't let me do it. Its titled Sturdy Whipped Cream Frosting (it did let me put the link in though so if you click the title I just put in, it should take you to the actual page I am pulling this from, I hope)  and I'm gonna try to type it out here too though if this thing will let me toggle between screens.

Posted by Jo-Lynn, she says, "This is a YUMMY whipped cream frosting that is very stable and can be left at room temperature unlike many other whipped cream frostings. It also makes a GREAT dip for fresh fruit -- not too sweet, just right! This recipe is GREAT for a stand mixer but will work in any good mixer. "

Prep time: 10 min, Ready in: 10 min

yields 5 cups

ingredients:

1 (8 ounce) package reduced fat cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup white sugar (i'm assuming thats confection sugar but i could be wrong)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract (i'm guessing clear)

1/2 teaspoon almond extract (again, guessing clear)

2 cups heavy whipping cream

Directions: Combine cream cheese, sugar, and extracts in a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer. Fit the mixer with a whisk attachment and mix on medium speed until smooth. While still mixing, slowly pour in the heavy cream. Stop and scrape the bottom of the bowl a couple of times while you continue whipping until it can hold a stiff peak.

Nutrition Info Per Serving: Calories: 219, Total Fat: 19.1g, Cholesterol: 69mg

The rating on that was 4 1/2 out of 5 stars with 4,600 people saved it for reference so it should be a good recipe. Like I said though, I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for, I don't know much about whipped frostings. But I hope that helps and I hope I didn't get here too late. I think I might try it myself soon. Just a guess here, but I'm thinking that if it isn't stiff enough for you for decorating you can add more sugar like with the buttercream, but that's just a guess, I would do a practice run with it first before trying it for a customer.

mrs_pulley
by on Feb. 16, 2010 at 8:47 PM
I'm newer to cakes and after taking a wilton class, found the icing to taste AWFUL! it was either waxy or I'd use butter and it would melt on me of course. I'm sure I did something wrong but I'd really like to try a cake for dd's birthday and was wondering if any of the previous recipes are good for decorating (not the flowers that have to dry, just piping type stuff, a few polka dots etc) or if someone can post one that would work.
happy1mom
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I use this one from Cake Central.  It's a buttercream, and it crusts very well.  It's great to use during our awful humid TX summer weather!  Tastes great too! 

2 lbs. sifted powdered sugar
1/2 cup or 1 stick butter, softened.
1-1/2 cups solid vegetable shortening
2 tbsp. clear vanilla extract
1/3 cup water for icing cake -OR- 1/4 cup for stiff consistency.
1/4 tsp. almond extract

-Cream butter, shortening, and extracts until creamy and smooth. -Gradually add powdered sugar and water. Mix thoroughly on medium speed for hand mixers, low speed for stand mixers, until smooth and creamy. Do not overmix or mix on high speed.
-For whiter icing, use butter without dye (health food stores)
-For stiffer icing, use 1/4 cup of water instead of 1/3 cup.
*If you live where it is humid, you can add 1-2 tbsp. meringue powder.

Let set for 15 minutes before smoothing with a VIVA paper towel.
Icing can be refrigerated for 2 weeks in an airtight container. Iced cake can sit at room temp. for 2-3 days.

*Any flowers made with this recipe remain soft enough to be cut with a knife.*

>>>>>TheCookieJunkie<<<<<

Come on over and check us out!

michellina124
    by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Quoting Jemoiselle:

MsEmsMom, Does your recipe come out similar to the whipped icing I keep hearing about? I have a customer who wants whipped frosting on a cake and I am still searching for a good recipe, that will hold up to decorating and not melt on me!I think you may have just solved a HUGE problem for me! *crossing fingers*

I ask because of the last ingredient hehe.

Thanks!!

Jessie

I use this recipe it turns out perfect and you can add a flavoring to it,  like chocolate etc.  Everyone I know loves this and it holds up for quite a while.

Stabilized Whipped Cream Icing
    Yield 2 cups

Ingredients

1/4 cup cold water
    1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    2 tablespoon white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Chill mixing bowl and beaters for at least 15 minutes before using. Place water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over water and allow to soften 5 minutes.
       2. Dissolve gelatin by microwaving for 3 minutes, stirring after every minute. Remove from microwave and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes; gelatin must be liquid but not warm when added to cream.
       3. Remove bowl and beaters from refrigerator and pour in cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat together just until beater marks begin to show distinctly.
       4. Add gelatin mixture to cream, pouring in a steady stream while beating constantly. Beat until stiff peaks form. Use immediately.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)