Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Covered My Cake with WHAT?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:01 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 255 Total Views

I just did this cake for a baby shower. I used rolled buttercream, except for a regular buttercream crumb coat, and the white piping. I was disappointed with how the rolled buttercream was so unpredictable. It really has to be kept cold. I don't recommend it for cakes. It works great for cookies which are smaller and easier to control. I tried the recipe with butter and with shortening. They each behave just a bit different. Butter stayed softer an d didn't get as stiff as the shortening. The lady I made it for loved the taste and it was a big hit at her party.  It is a tasty alternative to fondant, but you have to be ready to pamper it a lot to keep it happy. Also, it is VERY sticky. Cold or not. Don't put anything down until your ready. I set my top tier on just to gauge it and it stuck. I wasn't able to put any support under it. Because of the weight of the icing, it really needed to be supported. As the cake got warm, the top tier started to shift. Yikes!!! If anyone has any suggestions about rolled buttercream and how better to use it, please weigh in!

Melody Irishbaking

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
happy1mom
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Next time try applying it to a very cold cake that has a thick buttercream crumbcoat.  I like to use a crusting buttercream underneath it so I can smooth it out and have nice straight sides when the fondant is applied.  If the rolled buttercream is too sticky, I add more confectioners sugar until it's pliable enough to handle.  Did you let it sit overnight in the fridge?  It can be really hard to handle if you refridgerate it (condensation issues?).  I prefer to keep it on the counter top. 

>>>>>TheCookieJunkie<<<<<

Come on over and check us out!

MsEmsMom110
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 1:50 AM

I think it looks great! I tried rolled buttercream once and it didn't go well at all, it just wanted to crumble no matter what I did. I haven't been brave enough to try it again. Now I just use marshmellow fondant that I make myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)