• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what kind of fondant?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:34 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 261 Total Views

what kindof fondant do you ladies recommend? They only kind I know if is wiltons. Is there anything else that is better? Thanks!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
atschnet
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I use Satin Ice. I buy it from Global Sugar Art but it's also available at cake shops. I have also made my own Marshmellow fondant but just prefer Satin Ice. It has a great texture, along with taste. You can buy the white/vanilla and color it yourself or you can buy it already colored.

Wilton's is just gross. It works well but doesn't taste good.

luvmy4and1
by Group Owner on May. 25, 2009 at 5:27 AM

I make my own~MMF~and it is good~I have never had fondant that I liked until I made this myself!! (lots of weddings with fondant left on the cake plate LOL)

I think it is super easy and it is really CHEAP!!!!

I just bought some of the new caramel vanilla marshmellows and I am gonna whip up a batch of it today and make some caramel buttercream and put it on a dark fudge chocolate cake.  Can't wait!!!!!

koensmom22
by on May. 27, 2009 at 1:47 PM

how do you make your own fondant? and what kinda of icing do you buy?

koensmom22
by on May. 27, 2009 at 1:48 PM

satin ice was the kind i was looking at on the computer.

Quoting atschnet:

I use Satin Ice. I buy it from Global Sugar Art but it's also available at cake shops. I have also made my own Marshmellow fondant but just prefer Satin Ice. It has a great texture, along with taste. You can buy the white/vanilla and color it yourself or you can buy it already colored.

Wilton's is just gross. It works well but doesn't taste good.

luvmy4and1
by Group Owner on May. 27, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I use homemade buttercream icing.

MMF~

16 oz bag jetpuffed mini marshmellows

2 tsp. water

put in a microwave safe LARGE plastic bowl~microwave for at 45 second intervals stirring each time when it starts getting soupy (like for rice krispy treats) I add in 1 tsp. clear vanilla and 1 tsp. almond extract. and microwave for about 20 more secs.

take it out and stir then add about 3/4 bag powdered sugar (a 2 # bag) and stir until you form a ball that looks like a glob of bread dough

dump it out on prepared counter (grease well with crisco and I use a fondant mat for easy clean up) sprinkle a little more powdered sugar on the ball of fondant~grease your hands well with crisco and start kneading it like bread adding powdered sugar as needed until it is no longer sticky~I use all but about 1/8 of the bag when it is done. and keep greasing your hands~when it is no longer sticky and kinda pulls like taffy roll into a ball coat the ball with crisco and put it in a ziploc baggy~I leave it sit overnite cuz it is easier to work with once it has cooled.

sometimes if i don't get to it for a couple of days I pop it in the microwave for  a few seconds just so you can work with it to roll it out.

I hope this helps you and as you can see it is super cheap to make and quite fun and it tastes good too!!

koensmom22
by on May. 28, 2009 at 8:38 PM

thanks its grocery week so  im gonna try it this weekend

Quoting luvmy4and1:

I use homemade buttercream icing.

MMF~

16 oz bag jetpuffed mini marshmellows

2 tsp. water

put in a microwave safe LARGE plastic bowl~microwave for at 45 second intervals stirring each time when it starts getting soupy (like for rice krispy treats) I add in 1 tsp. clear vanilla and 1 tsp. almond extract. and microwave for about 20 more secs.

take it out and stir then add about 3/4 bag powdered sugar (a 2 # bag) and stir until you form a ball that looks like a glob of bread dough

dump it out on prepared counter (grease well with crisco and I use a fondant mat for easy clean up) sprinkle a little more powdered sugar on the ball of fondant~grease your hands well with crisco and start kneading it like bread adding powdered sugar as needed until it is no longer sticky~I use all but about 1/8 of the bag when it is done. and keep greasing your hands~when it is no longer sticky and kinda pulls like taffy roll into a ball coat the ball with crisco and put it in a ziploc baggy~I leave it sit overnite cuz it is easier to work with once it has cooled.

sometimes if i don't get to it for a couple of days I pop it in the microwave for  a few seconds just so you can work with it to roll it out.

I hope this helps you and as you can see it is super cheap to make and quite fun and it tastes good too!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)