Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Assessing Your Child's Speech!

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2009 at 12:51 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 1191 Total Views

Hello Everyone,

Let's start this group out with the topic of 'Assessing Your Child's Speech'!

There are 18 basic sounds a child needs to know before the age of 8 years.  Each of these sounds should be properly modeled during the first few years of a child's life, before sounds are developed.  As a child hears sounds properly modeled, pronunciation will greatly improve in some children by simply hearing the sounds.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

Make sure you read books to your child that focus on the basic sounds a child needs to learn.  You can also get the book called, 'Sammy Learns To Talk', which targets all the basic sounds in the beginning and ending positions.  Have the child first listen to you say these sounds then repeat after you.  Depending on the child's age make note which sounds are on schedule and which sounds need work.  (See the Sound Chart at www.speakwithmebooks.com)

Have your child repeat the sounds after you.  However, a lot of times children don't perform normally when they know others are watching and assessing them.  It seems more natural to have them repeat while they are participating in a normal activity like reading a book. 

Any questions on assessing your child's speech?

by on Jan. 19, 2009 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
maddismom247
by on Jan. 19, 2009 at 3:18 PM

i have a question. my daughter just turned 2 on December 16. from all the charts that i have found she is making all the right sounds for her age but her speech is still not very clear. some things she says are very very clear like, " i love you."  and  "more please". i can get her to say single words clearly but when she is trying to carry on a conversion with someone or with her dolls she just kinda jumbles it. she is an only child and doesn't get much interaction with kids her age but we have never baby talked to her.  she got flash cards for Christmas and we work on them often but i just don't know how to get her conversational speech cleared up. i also don't know if i am just being a worry wort mom. she has a cousin and also there is a little girl at our church that are both the same age as her and they both talk EXTREMLY  well for their age  and i am afraid i may just be comparing her... which i totally don't want to do.  i have been stressing over it  a lot lately ( if you can't tell ) anyway, any advice would be wonderful.

AngieKaye1
by Group Owner on Jan. 20, 2009 at 1:51 AM

Every child's speech develops at a different rate.  However, it's important to know the typical age range of certain sounds and behaviors.  We have developed a chart for all sounds (birth to 8 years) and speech behaviors (birth to 5 years).  This way you can personally monitor your child's speech cues and see if there's a concern or not. 

First of all, I would encourage you to get a chart for yourself.  The publishing company who printed our books are currently offering a FREE ''Sound Developing Chart' with every purchase.  Just enter the code (FREE2199).  I think it's a must for all homes for your knowledge of speech development and for your peace of mind.   However, for this discussion I will review a few key elements of what a 2 year old should be doing.

Sounds at 2 years old:

(p, m, h, n, w, b) Each of these sounds start developing at 1 1/2 and should be mastered roughly by 3 years old.  Please see the Sound Development Chart for specifics.  Sometimes boys and girls develop sounds at a different speed.

Language Development by 2 years old:

Says more words every month

Uses some 1 or 2 word questions ("Where doggy?" "Go byebye?")

Puts two words together ("more juice," "no book")

1 1/2- 2 yrs: 25-50% speech sounds understood

Uses many different consonant sounds at the beginning of words

------------------------------------------------------

The fact that your child is saying, "more please" and "I love you" means she is doing great by putting 2 words together.   You are on the right track!  

Angela Holzer, MA

Speak With Me Books

jstone345
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 2:57 PM

i'm always looking for ways to help my son's speech. He has been w/ a private speech teacher since may & is doing great. he's 3 will be 4 in march. speaking sentences just trying to focus on articulation so it comes out clearer. any suggests of material i can purchase or any suggestions are alway helpful.

AngieKaye1
by Group Owner on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I'm glad your child is seeing improvement!  At this age, prevention is a key for sounds he should be developing in the next year or two.  There is a book called, "Sammy Learns To Talk" and "Gooey Gummy Geese".   There is also a CD of songs coming out next month called, "Favorite Children's Songs".  These songs are sung slowly and clearly!  This way children can become familiar with the tunes AND be able to sing-a-long and practice the words. 

Stay tuned for our next topic on how to practice the SSSSSSS sound!!! 

sassy_momma
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 6:02 PM

My son is 2 as of November and all he's said is Mama, Daddy, I love you, gone gone, kitty, again, uh oh, uh uh, vroom vroom and like 1-2 more words.  We switched Pediatricians (for other reasons).  The new 1 said if he isn't saying more by April he needs speech therapy but for now he is fine.  The old pediatrician told us he needed speech therapy, but then when we called to reschedule the appt. he had canceled it and not told us.  So for that reason and others, we switched pediatricians.  We name things to him and talk to him all the time.  We play with him and repeat his sounds.  He is even in a program called Babies Can't Wait b/c of his speech.  They help the parents of kids with developmental delays.  My question is, what are other ways to get him to talk?  He's not around other kids that much, but when he WAS, he had started babbling a LOT more.  Babbling...then words, I know.  I am just sick of every1 acting like he is slow b/c of his speech.  He is so smart and doing so well in practically everything else!

sassy_momma
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I also wanted to add, the old Pediatrician said he didn't think he was Autistic because he plays, responds to his name (when he wants to lol) and all that.  But I first thought of that when he wasn't talking.  I had a dream 1 night that we found out he was autistic. 

AngieKaye1
by Group Owner on Feb. 18, 2009 at 6:45 PM

What you need to do is get one of the Sound Charts that explains which sounds and speech behaviors are appropriate from 0-8 years old.  Also, there's a book called, "Sammy Learns To Talk".  I know I've mentioned this in the previous comments, but it is one of the surest ways to make sure your child is getting ALL BASIC SOUNDS in the purest form.  This way you can clearly hear which sounds he needs to learn. 

Go to the website: www.speakwithmebooks.com.  Take a look at the Sound Chart and the Sammy Learns To Talk book.  I would actually encourage you to get the entire set of books coming out to make sure your child has all the basic phrases at his fingertips.   Right now if you buy one of the book sets, the publishing company (www.goodsoundpublishing.com) includes the Sound Chart for free. 

Your child sounds like he is on track for sounds, but in the next 6 months he could fall behind (which is what the pediatrician might be concerned about).  So, start now!  The best you can do is take 30 minutes a day and read to him along with singing songs.  There's a Favorite Children's Songs CD coming out next week that targets all the basic sounds as well.  These are sung a little more slowly than normal children's songs to allow children the chance to understand and pronounce the words correctly! 

Bottom Line is NOW IS THE PERFECT TIME FOR YOU TO ASK THESE QUESTIONS!  Honestly, you are right on schedule to help prevent any speech delays if possible.  Great Job!

Angela Holzer, MA

momiofcristina
by on Sep. 16, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Hi, my son is 20 months old and he doesnt say one word. Every blue moon he'll say mama and dada but he doesnt call us. He makes a lot of noise but no words. We are a bilingual family so Im wondering if he might be getting confused with two languages? His pedi says not to worry till he turns two. His "noises" sound like piuuuu. Always the p with the i and the u at the end. I am a little worried cause its hard not to compare him to his older sis (shes 2 1/2). He understands sipmle commands in spanish and when we ask hime wheres mom,dad,sis he looks for us but thats about it. Oh and every time I try to make him talk (hold his milk hostage until he says the word) he goes crazy and gets mad.

preview image

preview image

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)