Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newbie to the group & world of speech delay

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2009 at 9:57 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 609 Total Views

HI ladies,

My name is Naomi & mom to Wellington (2 yrs old) who has just be diagnosed with a speech delay.

He just had his evaluation on Tuesday of this week. We are now waiting to meet with a speech therapist that was referred to me through our City.

I was wondering what has your experience been with dealing with your little ones speech delay??

Thanks in advance.

by on Mar. 27, 2009 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AngieKaye1
by Group Owner on Mar. 30, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Hi Naomi!

Welcome to our group!  Now is the perfect time to start working with your child on speech development.  Let us know if you have any specific questions we can help you with.  Did your speech therapist give any specific sounds that your child needs to work on?  The 8 beginning sounds your child will need to learn are:

m, p, h, n, w, b, d, k,

The best way to remember this is by the following 4 words:

MoP

HeN

WeB

DuCK

Help your child say these words in their purest form.  For example, repeat 'DUCK' not 'DRINK'. Duck has both the D and K sounds in a clear form.  Whereas, DR and NK are blends, which are not very helpful to your child at this point. 

nramos221
by on Apr. 3, 2009 at 9:45 PM

We are meeting with the speech therapist this Wed. Hopefully I will get a better understanding of what to work on w/ my little guy.

He understands more then what he speaks...

newmommy-again
by on May. 6, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Naomi - My 2 y/o is similar, but we don't yet have a diagnosis of speech delay and no referral for speech therapy.  How did it work out for you?

nramos221
by on May. 30, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Hi Ladies,

My son finally started seeing his speech therapist this week. He also attended the early intervention school once a week. Hopefully his speech will improve very soon.

He has gotten a lot better since we started this whole process. Fingers crossed he will stay on this path.

nramos221
by on May. 30, 2009 at 10:55 PM

newmommy-again 

I asked the dr for a referral. I told her my gut says there is something wrong...I also looked into the early intervention program in my state who told me what i needed to do before they would look at my son's case. You might want to try that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN