Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sign language?

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 1:08 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 738 Total Views

Hi I just had an evaluation done for my son and found out he has a speech delay. He is going to start speech therapy soon. I was  just wondering about sign language. Does it always help? He already communicates pretty well through his hand gestures that he makes up. He just does not talk. I worry that if he learn sign language he will not want to talk because he does not have to. Does this make sense to anyone or am I totally wrong?

by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AngieKaye1
by Group Owner on Jul. 20, 2009 at 12:04 AM
Hello Sidona,

The suggestions I always give parents who ask about Sign Language is whether or not the child gets frustrated while he communicates. If he speaks and doesn't get understood, then it can be a good idea for him to have another outlet of letting people know what he wants. However, this is most helpful for children who have a one word vocabulary. (Water, Food, Potty, More Please, etc.) This is usually the stage for children 1-3 years old. They should be saying simple sentences by the age 3 years old.

It won't hurt to teach your child sign language, but it seems to be more effective at the younger age of .5-2 years old.

Angela Holzer, MA
Speak With Me Books
www.speakwithmebooks.com
sidona
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2009 at 12:45 AM

I don't mind trying. But he was saying hi, then I taught him to wave hi and bye and know he does not say it any more he just waves. He is getting confused by me also with the signs "milk "and "want" do you have any suggestions.

AngieKaye1
by Group Owner on Jul. 20, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Then that is a clear sign that you shouldn't focus your time on signing.   If teaching him signs stops his speech, then don't focus on that right now.  He needs to be attempting to make the sounds and words.   I think you are on the right path.    I would encourage you to obtain the 'Sammy Learns To Talk" book.  This allows you to review all basic sounds as you say the animals and the colors.  Once you have decided which sounds he struggles with, you can target those sounds in other books.   To get a free chart with any purchase, enter the following code once you go to the www.goodsoundpublishing.com website, code: free2199 

mommy2kaelynn
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM
Hi!

I have a lot of experience with children and sign language and language development. You DO NOT need to worry that your son will not want to talk if he can communicate with sign language. In fact, most kids who know sign language end up picking up the spoken words more quickly - they learn to imitate the sound of the words they can sign. So functional words are great to teach them - milk, drink, eat, sleep, tired, potty, play, want, please, thank you.

If you have any specific questions feel free to send me a message and I'll try to help you out!

Chandra

toddler girlKaelynn's PROUD Mama! 
-----------------------------------------------------

Keep up with our adoption process at:
www.caringbridge.org/visit/babyforest

Visit Kaelynn's Website at: 
http://kaelynnrosesoojin.aboutmybaby.com/

sidona
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2009 at 10:56 PM

I have heard that also. I took a class in sign when I went to college, even though I failed, but it did help me alot with getting my son to communicate some. But it seems not to work that way with him he was saying some words, but know he just uses his signs instead of his words.,I am not saying that I wont do sign with him if it helps, maybe the speech therapist will be able to help me when she comes.

AngieKaye1
by Group Owner on Jul. 27, 2009 at 11:37 PM
Every child is different, so you should do what you feel best. That being said, research does show that a child can adapt to more than 1 language at a time...sign language included. Sometimes it does take the child a little time to adjust to the different ways to express himself/herself, but you shouldn't feel worried that he won't use his spoken word if he knows sign language.

Right now it's important for him to use his words. So if that means cutting back on sign right now, then that's probably wise. The Speech Therapist will hopefully have some good advise once he/she meets with your child.

Good Luck! And keep us posted.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)