Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Won't say mummy!!!

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 6:59 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 769 Total Views

Hi

My son is just turning 2 and has great expressive speech and language, and understanding, but he just won't say "mummy"!!

Has anyone else come across this or anything similar?

It gets a bit upsetting sometimes being "that" or "this" and everything being "daddy daddy daddy" even though he wants to be with me permanently, so i know it isn't that he doesn't like or want me!!

Thank you! :)

by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 6:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
AngieKaye1
by Group Owner on Aug. 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Does he say the M sound? (milk, mine, etc)

Have you tried reading the book, "Are You My Mommy?" by Dr. Seuss I believe? Typically in speech development, you say the first part of the phrase and pause to see if your child will repeat. I would try this with your 2 year old once you've read the book through a few times.

Say, "Are you my...."? And see if he says, "Mommy".

There's also something to be said about not responding back when to him every time when he asks you a question. That way he has to get your attention by saying your name.???

Keep us posted!

Angela - Speak With Me Books

AngieKaye1
by Group Owner on Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:19 PM
Correction: The book is called, "Are you my mother?" But...if I were you, I'd read it as "Are you my Mommy". :) If that's what you'd like your son to say, then help him say the word "Mommy" and see if it catches on.
Tickletime
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Thanks AngieKaye! I'll definitely get that book and try it.

And yes I try not to respond all the time but it's so hard to ignore him!!

I know he can say the m sound in other words like hammer, bump, etc, but I've been trying to think of words starting with m and can't think of any that he says, although his first babble was mamamama. He has a weird word for 'more' - "woo" - so I wonder if he has a difficulty now with m at the start of words for some reason. But he hasn't made up a word for mummy, or substituted the m sound with another.

Daddy calls me mummy all the time to make sure Fraser hears it lots but it doesn't sem to help, I'm still "that" or "this"!!crying mini

Annette4
by New Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I had this issue and those same feelings last year... now my boy says it about 50 million times a day, and whew! I never thought I'd see THAT day! LOL

Anyway, there are some great ideas in this article: Teach your child to say mama
I also play the game where everyone sits in a circle and I ask each person... Who are YOU?  ANd you say your name, and move on.  Then you can change it up and ask: "Who is THAT?

Best of luck! He'll get it!

~Annette ~ Supermom of 4~
Group Owner~ Children With Speech Delays!

$$ me2everyone $$
We are going Live!

Einstein once said, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)