Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dinner

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 10:21 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 264 Total Views

So tonight I made a super successful dinner.  It was the first time I tried it and both hubby and my son ate it like it was going out of style.  Yay! 

So, this got me wondering...  who's hubby expects dinner?  Mine will cook and says he understands I don't always have time.  But if I don't cook for more than 2 days, he will say something about it.

by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenE4
by Group Admin on Jan. 24, 2009 at 12:32 PM

My husband is totally self-sufficient. He makes his own dinner every night--it's just salad (well, not even dressing, just raw spinach, broccoli, and peppers) and tofu straight from the fridge. Seriously. Every night. lol. (He has hypoglycemia, so he's VERY particular about what he eats.) So, no. I never have to make dinner for my hubby. He makes his own food, does his own food shopping, does his own laundry, etc.

Jen
Mom to Emma, 12, Wyatt, 9, and baby Sofia...

babies

Group Owner Home Office: www.cafemom.com/group/homeoffice
Juggling little ones AND deadlines? Meet others who have the best of both worlds as a work-from-home mom. (No classifieds, please.)

wanderingmuse
by Member on Jan. 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Wow!!!  Even his own grocery shopping!!  You are very lucky.  I don't think by hubby has seen the inside of a grocery store in years.  He's diabetic and it's my job to tell him what he can and can't eat.  lol...

Quoting JenE4:

My husband is totally self-sufficient. He makes his own dinner every night--it's just salad (well, not even dressing, just raw spinach, broccoli, and peppers) and tofu straight from the fridge. Seriously. Every night. lol. (He has hypoglycemia, so he's VERY particular about what he eats.) So, no. I never have to make dinner for my hubby. He makes his own food, does his own food shopping, does his own laundry, etc.

sarasotamomtobe
by on Jan. 24, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Well, Jamie expects it now but only because I enjoy to cook and am a stickler for eating together.  I just feel a family meal is important.  I always plan dinner, even if it is just take out, but it has really been my choice.  If I told Jamie to fend for himself, he wouldn't care a bit.

Beth
Group Administrator 
Over 30 and Just Starting    
http://www.cafemom.com/group/over30andjuststarting
Group Owner
College Basketball Lovers!  
http://www.cafemom.com/group/collegebasketball

CookieLeeTexas
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:23 AM

My husband expects dinner, and I really don't mind fixing it.  At least I know it'll be healthy!  But, if the need arises, he or the girls can cook for themselves.

Lori McCall

Independent Consultant-Cookie Lee Jewelry

www.cookielee.biz/lorimccall

JenE4
by Group Admin on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I should add that I do need to still make dinner for the kids, so I don't get off the hook entirely, lol. Dave just doesn't eat it.

Jen

babies

Juggling little ones AND deadlines? Meet others who have the best of both worlds as a work-from-home mom. (No classifieds, please.)

Aislynnw
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM

I taught my husband early on - probably before we got married - that if he wanted someone who was going to do all the cooking and cleaning then I was not the girl for him.  He knows that we both work full time so we both share the household/family responsibilities.  He really appreciates it when I do cook (I would more often if I could think of things to cook) but he does not expect it.  It's more of a treat if he comes home and I am cooking dinner.  Now that I have two kids of my own, I am also one that thinks family meal time is very important and we do that every night - even if it's a $5 pizza.  Now that I get to work from home I do cook more than I use to (I'm up to 2-3 nights a week now!).

So, I think we could add to this post, what are some easy meal ideas that everyone can share?

Aislynn

Director

Freedom United Team

www.OurFamilyTogether.info

goldierebel
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 6:31 AM

A juicy Hamberger on the grill with your favorite cheese, put a potatoe and pock holes in it or cut in half and wrap in a paper towel and micro for 6-8 minutes, and take out frozen vegetable,i like corn with potatoe and heat that in micro for 2 minutes,a pat of butter and you have hamburger,potatoe and vegetable in a short time. The hamburger on the grill is important dont overcook,thats what the hubbbys love,you can even add some vidalia oions sauteed in butter or olive oil till brown and put them on...kathy

Kathleen Mercurio

REGIONAL SALES DIRECTOR

Kari78
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:21 AM

My hubby doesn't "expect" anything, but I usually do make dinner, since I'm such an awesome cook (LOL) and b/c I think it's relaxing after a long day of working and being with Liam.  After dh gets home, he and Liam play while I cook.

He does his own laundry, too, btw!  We're basically equals when it comes to housework.  We'll have only been together for 2 years this coming April, and we're pretty old (haha) so we each learned how to be self-sufficient on our own before we got together.  I'm glad, I think having another child / dependent for a husband would be extremely un-fun!

Cost of Routine Infant Circumcision:
A) $300-$500 or more
B) 15 sq. in. of skin; ridged band; immunological system; gliding action; lymphatic vessels; blood vessels; length & circumference
C) A person's genital integrity, his right to choose for himself, and his sense of trust in his parents
D) All of the above

Group owner of: Nutrition for Babies & Toddlers

JenE4
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Quoting Kari78:

He does his own laundry, too, btw!  We're basically equals when it comes to housework.  We'll have only been together for 2 years this coming April, and we're pretty old (haha) so we each learned how to be self-sufficient on our own before we got together.  I'm glad, I think having another child / dependent for a husband would be extremely un-fun!

Kari, Dave and I are the same way. I'm 34; he's 36. We both were married before (our "starter marriages," lol), and then lived on our own for several years before getting together. So, we both know how to "take care of ourselves." Plus, he has very specific ways of doing things--and I'm sure he'd say the same about me, lol--so we're better off just doing our own thing our own way. He's really good about doing work around the house. And while it might not dawn on him to vaccuum the house, all I need to do is ask, and he'll always help.

Jen

babies

JenE4
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Quoting Aislynnw:

even if it's a $5 pizza. 

So, I think we could add to this post, what are some easy meal ideas that everyone can share?

Ooh! Where do you get a $5 pizza?! Pizzas in my town cost $13.75, lol.

I have a really fast, ultra-kid-friendly, and secretly healthy recipe for chicken fingers. I cut chicken breast into strips, dip into egg beaters, and then coat in a mixture of wheat germ, ground flax seed, and Old Bay and Adobo seasonings. Put some extra virgin olive oil in a pan over medium heat and cover to help it cook through for probably about 5-6 minutes per side.

Jen

babies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)